Photo

[Colwood] Silkwind at Westshore condo | 77m | 23-storeys | Canceled in 2009

• Please log in to reply
254 replies to this topic

#121 victoriacarpenter

victoriacarpenter
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 08:09 PM

Last word was that the investors had pulled out and the formwork company, Acropolis Ventures (Vancouver Based) has gone bankrupt.

Do you really think we can sell this many condos in Victoria and area? At least we are creating our own solution to the homeless problem........

#122 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,753 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:12 AM

The increasing number of stalled large-scale projects in the region is becoming a case of the Emperor's new clothes. Everyone can see there is a problem, but no one is willing to speak of it, lest they be the one to expose the naked monarch.

#123 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:05 AM

It's not the market that is causing the problem, it's the developers. Radius and Silkwind are stalled due to financial planning, not the market.

While there is a correction taking place, it is by no means indicative of a crashing real-estate market or some sort of end to people who want to buy real-estate. This region is still putting on between 3,000 and 4,000 people a year and has a growing international reputation for vacation home buyers. These individuals need places to live and want places to buy.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#124 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:23 AM

Sotheby's has taken over sales and pricing has been reconfigured, so it looks like the project is still a go.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#125 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:38 AM

The developers are awaiting construction financing finalization.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#126 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:55 AM

The developers are awaiting construction financing finalization.

Aren't we all.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#127 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 01:40 PM

The website has been updated.

Know it all.

#128 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:40 PM

It's not the market that is causing the problem, it's the developers. Radius and Silkwind are stalled due to financial planning, not the market.

While there is a correction taking place, it is by no means indicative of a crashing real-estate market or some sort of end to people who want to buy real-estate. This region is still putting on between 3,000 and 4,000 people a year and has a growing international reputation for vacation home buyers. These individuals need places to live and want places to buy.

The market is a big part of it though given that the cost of materials has skyrocketed recently which makes financing and selling any new project that much tougher. The West Comms particularly are a perfect example of wallets that can't match their ambition so i'm not surprised at all to see a toe tag hanging off the foot of Silkwind. What a horrible name too. "Silkwind"! :rolleyes: This building would look great.......downtown, but at Colwood corners......not so much.

#129 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 08:06 PM

This building would look great.......downtown, but at Colwood corners......not so much.

Pretty soon Colwood corners will be downtown.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#130 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,753 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 08:19 PM

Pretty soon Colwood Corners will be downtown.

If by "pretty soon" you mean 40 years then you may be right.

#131 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 04:13 PM

In the light of Acropolis Group of Companies going under. I've recently heard a little rumor from Vancouver that Con Form from Vancouver may be now involved in the form work side of this project

#132 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:45 AM

I'd be willing to make a substantial bet that this project will turn into another humdrum 4 storey building.

#133 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,753 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:49 AM

This highrise design makes NO sense in a suburb like Colwood at the present time. Any chance this "triangular" design can be moved to the corner of Douglas & Fairfield (the current Budget car rental lot the city is proposing to redevelop)? It could be re-envisioned as part hotel and part condo (with ground floor retail of course). This sort of mixed-use design is common in other cities.

#134 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:44 AM

^ Dream on :)

#135 davek

davek
  • 670 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:37 PM

I'd be willing to make a substantial bet that this project will turn into another humdrum 4 storey building.

I understand the developers are just waiting until they have sold some more units before they continue.

#136 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,753 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:41 PM

I understand the developers are just waiting until they have sold some more units before they continue.

Yeah sure, just like the Radius ...;)

#137 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 07:54 PM

I'm trying to remember when this project stalled? Was it 4-5 months ago?

#138 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 11:08 PM

I seem to recall that progress all but stopped around Christmas/New Years.

Know it all.

#139 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,753 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 06:26 AM

I seem to recall that progress all but stopped around Christmas/New Years.

Pretty much the same time as Radius died.

#140 victoriacarpenter

victoriacarpenter
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 09:14 AM

Is it just a coincidence that both of the big holes in the area have Kinetic Construction signs on them or what?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users