• Please log in to reply
1731 replies to this topic

#1261 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 July 2018 - 09:23 PM

Stratas have enough/too much power as it is.  It's a very invasive form of government.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1262 the26er

the26er
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 09:48 AM

Love to start a discussion on the new government rules that have now wiped out the exemption that meant 99% of airbnb's didn't have to collect PST and MRDT.  See here: https://www2.gov.bc....n-providers.pdf

Now saying less than 4 units aren't exempt and we must collect.  Problem being, I contacted Airbnb and asked if they are taking care of this, and they said not in BC.....funny since this report here says otherwise: https://www.vicnews....les-tax-in-b-c/

This opens a whole pile can of worms - to 'register' to collect, you need a business license, 99% probably don't have one...then, how many are actually aware of this change?  How many will go years of not collecting then have tax man knocking on their door asking for their 10%???

Would be nice if Airbnb took initiative themselves like they do in the US, but so far, my responses say otherwise!

Any Airbnb'ers know how to deal with this?  Having to collect separately on arrival will be a royal pain and if you just 'include' in pricing, I assume that will screw up our 'income reporting' for tax purposes.

No clue here!

#1263 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 12:02 PM

Airbnb will be there by the deadline. 

#1264 the26er

the26er
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 01:10 PM

Airbnb will be there by the deadline. 

do we know this for fact?  Hard to take that at face value when this is the reply they give you:

We do not collect the local tax in your county.

The only information about the local tax in Canada we have can be found in this article: https://www.airbnb.i...lp/article/2283

Thank you,

Luigi

Furthermore, IF they will infact take care of this, what do we do with bookings after Oct 1 now?  Do we just tell them, oh, btw, you will need to hand over another 10%?

#1265 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 01:36 PM

^So am I to assume you haven't been paying taxes up to this point?
  • Matt R. likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1266 the26er

the26er
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 01:39 PM

^So am I to assume you haven't been paying taxes up to this point?

I haven't needed to.....1 secondary suite - up to this point, anyone with less than 4 have been exempt from PST/MRDT.  Only as of Oct 1, 2018 will EVERYONE be required to collect those taxes.

Good try thou ;-p

#1267 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 01:46 PM

Wasn't a try. It's also dependent on your income. How much you make in a year. If your business will collect over $30,000 in revenue a year, you’ll be required to charge and remit GST/HST.

Also you can get a sole proprietorship GST/HST account if you do. I would talk to an accountant and just be certain you keep records of your income and keep it below the threshold.

#1268 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 01:49 PM

For PST the threshold is much lower:

You have $10,000 or less in gross revenue from all retail sales of eligible goods, software and taxable services for the previous 12 months, and your estimated gross revenue from all retail sales of eligible goods, software and taxable services for the next 12 months is $10,000 or less.

#1269 the26er

the26er
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 01:54 PM

PST/MRDT had always been exempt for under 4 units, regardless of income, my airbnb income is also under 30k so not required to collect GST either.  Started this year but of course will be claiming the income.

#1270 the26er

the26er
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 12:32 PM

finally got clarity on the issue now - hotels can be happy again!

https://www.airbnbci...itish-columbia/

#1271 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 02:48 PM

AirBnB presented some facts about Victoria hosts to CFAX's Mark Brennae today.

The average income is just under $8,000 per year, while 66% of "hosts" on the platform are women. AirBnB also sends out individualized emails reminding hosts of their tax obligations and how to claim income earned through vacation rentals.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1272 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 02:49 PM

The average income is just under $8,000 per year, while 66% of "hosts" on the platform are women. AirBnB also sends out individualized emails reminding hosts of their tax obligations and how to claim income earned through vacation rentals.

And starting today Airbnb is collecting 11% Provincial tax automatically.

#1273 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 02:52 PM

Oops, right. I meant to include that as well, lol.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1274 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 02:52 PM

Do I have to declare alcohol left behind by AirBnB guests? I have half a bottle of banana-flavoured Bacardi rum and a third of a bottle of vanilla Crown Royal and I'm not sure if these are assets or liabilities.

• lanforod likes this

#1275 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 01 October 2018 - 02:53 PM

You know, I never noticed that. Just looked at my own account history; I've been hosted by 7 women (Toronto, Ottawa x2, Montreal, Vancouver, Brussels, NYC) and and one man (Panama City). Interesting!

• Mike K. likes this

#1276 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 03:06 PM

Yeah! I've encountered more women as hosts than men, for sure. On several occasions, though, the host was a woman but her husband/partner was also present at check-in or listed as an emergency contact.

Know it all.

#1277 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 03:10 PM

You know, I never noticed that. Just looked at my own account history; I've been hosted by 7 women (Toronto, Ottawa x2, Montreal, Vancouver, Brussels, NYC) and and one man (Panama City). Interesting!

More likely the hosts are claiming to be women! (or it is only the female partner that is being shown as the host) There is a perception that female hosts will have spaces which are cleaner, better anointed and better organized then men.

Edited by spanky123, 01 October 2018 - 03:11 PM.

#1278 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 03:37 PM

gender is just a social construct. hosts are not required to specify a gender.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 October 2018 - 03:37 PM.

#1279 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 03:46 PM

gender is just a social construct. hosts are not required to specify a gender.

Correct. Most people look at the picture and the name and draw a conclusion.

#1280 TravelNut

TravelNut
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 11:00 AM

I am new to posting, but have been lurking for a while.  I have a question that I am hoping someone may be able to answer?  I am looking at renting a condo for 30 days from an Executive rental company here in Victoria.  I need the condo for 2 months but can only get this unit for 30 days.  My question is that with the new LTA changes to fixed term rentals and the fact that I am renting on a monthly basis, once I am moved in I could just stay as the LTA would kick in?  Is that how I am reading the regulation in the act?

Thank you,

TN

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users