AirBnB, VRBO, vacation and executive rental news and issues in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
1731 replies to this topic

#1221 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 09 April 2018 - 09:19 AM

Long lost cousin came to visit this weekend. She stayed in an amazing airbnb out by Elk Lake, $56 per night, the family has it available for 6  months a year while the in-laws snowbird in the States and they summer here. Great set up and a good example of what airbnb should be about

#1222 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:46 AM

^Don't you realize they are destroying the Elk Lake hotel industry?

• rjag and Matt R. like this

#1223 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 10 April 2018 - 12:08 PM

^Don't you realize they are destroying the Elk Lake hotel industry?

I can't wait for the GM of the HoJo to bemoan his staff's lot in life in not being able to afford housing to Saanich Council, in much the same way the GM of the Best Western downtown did.  I'm sure it has nothing to do with the pittance that they're paid.  I wonder if Saanich councilors are as gullible as Victoria councilors.

• rjag likes this

#1224 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 03:36 PM

Long lost cousin came to visit this weekend. She stayed in an amazing airbnb out by Elk Lake, $56 per night, the family has it available for 6  months a year while the in-laws snowbird in the States and they summer here. Great set up and a good example of what airbnb should be about

That speculator and house hoarder should be put in jail where they belong. There's no place for people in today's age to use their property for what they would like to.

• VicHockeyFan and rjag like this

#1225 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:47 AM

Paris is suing AirBNB as there are listings that are in contravention of their regulations.

https://skift.com/20...e-heard-before/

#1226 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:25 AM

Apologies if this report has been posted on a different VV thread already...

…the report by Host Compliance for the CoV, entitled “Short-term Rental Market Overview” (Jan. 2018)

http://www.victoria....et Overview.pdf

At one moment in time (for the purpose of the report; in this case Dec. 23, 2017), there were:

1,848 total listings

1,760 were ‘active’ (definition is active within the past year)

1,663 were ‘active short-term’ listings (definition of short-term is minimum required stay is less than 30 days).

After removing duplicate ad listings on multiple websites, there were 1,346 ‘unique active short-term’ units operating in the City of Victoria.

64% were on Airbnb

25% were on websites controlled by Expedia

8% were on websites controlled by TripAdvisor

3% were on websites controlled by Priceline

88% of listings were for ‘entire homes’ (self-contained, not shared with other guests)….. the report notes that ‘entire homes’ are “considered to have the biggest impact on the long-term rental housing market and the quality of life of nearby residents.”

12% of listings were for ‘shared’ accommodation (e.g. room in a home, with shared facilities).

Data was taken from 24 "top short-term rental listing sites".  I notice Craigslist and UsedVictoria are not on that list, but maybe that's just for the purposes of this report, rather than for actual enforcement.

Attached Images

• Host Compliance.jpg

#1227 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:46 PM

In Langford they have just finished construction on a whole building dedicated to Airbnd type of service.

http://www.solosuites.ca/

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1228 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 06:18 AM

Yeah, but try booking a room. It just takes you to the profile page on AirBnB. Something's a little off there.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1229 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 05 June 2018 - 07:21 AM

^ $145/night for a studio, minimum stay of 2 nights. 

ONNI is converting one of their commercial buildings to 24 AirBNB units down in Richmond Steveston.

#1230 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 07:29 AM

Where are you finding that info, Jackerbie? When I click on book now it takes me to the Solo profile page and I can't click on anything to book rooms or look at rates.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1231 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 June 2018 - 07:57 AM

Have to do a little digging to find actual postings. Eg. https://www.airbnb.c... BC&s=KXybemVG 

Terrible prices compared to all the other postings in Langford.

Edited by lanforod, 05 June 2018 - 07:58 AM.

#1232 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:04 AM

Where are you finding that info, Jackerbie? When I click on book now it takes me to the Solo profile page and I can't click on anything to book rooms or look at rates.

On the left hand side of the profile page are the listings. Here's the complete list of all 26: https://www.airbnb.c...759081/listings

#1233 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:58 AM

In Langford they have just finished construction on a whole building dedicated to Airbnd type of service.

http://www.solosuites.ca/

If construction has just finished, how come there is a review from someone that stayed in October?

Attached Images

• Capture.PNG

#1234 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 09:07 AM

^Yeah, that's a suspicious review. Sounds more like a brochure blurb than the testimonial of an actual guest, especially with "suites" in plural. 

I think you have to be logged into Airbnb to access the availability and pricing.

#1235 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 05 June 2018 - 09:37 AM

I think you have to be logged into Airbnb to access the availability and pricing.

Yes, that appears to be the case

#1236 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 09:51 AM

Ohhhhh...

Ok. Has it always been this way for you to have to log in to access details?

Know it all.

#1237 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 09:53 AM

^No, I've never seen that. You can always browse without logging in.

• Mike K. likes this

#1238 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:10 AM

You can browse general listings, but I guess you can't browse listings by host without logging in.

#1239 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:25 AM

^Ah, I guess you can view the host through the listing but can't view the listing through the host, without logging in first. Fine, but I still think that review is fake.

• lanforod likes this

#1240 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,291 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 05 June 2018 - 01:13 PM

Thanks for the heads-up, LJ!

Capital-Region's-first-'AirBnB'-hotel-opens-in-Langford.jpg
Solo Suites, a six-storey complex that includes over two dozen fully furnished short-term vacation rentals, has recently opened along the 500-block of Goldstream Avenue in Langford on Victoria's West Shore.

Capital Region's first 'AirBnB' hotel opens in Langford

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users