Customs House
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 816 Government Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 7
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse)
Sales status: now selling
The Customs House development encompasses a full restoration of the historic Customs House building at Wharf a... (view full profile)
Learn more about Customs House on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Customs House | Condos; commercial | 7- & 5-storeys | Built - completed in 2021

• Please log in to reply
800 replies to this topic

#661 Glen

Glen
  • 279 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 03:55 PM

Too bad Horgan screwed Victoria and Vancouver with the cruise industry.  Horgan was the big shot at the beginning of the pandemic tossing insults and even refusing to  speak with the Americans about port calls without passenger departures, now he needs to suck up to Trudeau in an effort to save BC from loosing $$$$$$Billions$$$$$

It will be that much harder to sell Victoria's premium condos when the traveling wealthy aren't coming to see the city.

Victoria will be lucky to see half the visiting ships and loose thousands of $$$$$ spent in the downtown core.  Way to go Horgan.......I guess you can offset the losses buy cutting much more of the old growth forests. Clear that land and plant even more BC pot.  Do we now have at least one pot shop on every street in the downtowncore?

Perhaps as a parting gift Mayor Helps can turn Customs house and the Pearl into transitional homes?

#662 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,340 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 03:58 PM

how would the mayor do that? buy out every owner in each project?

#663 Fairbanks

Fairbanks
  • 554 posts

Posted 17 October 2021 - 08:17 AM

Too bad Horgan screwed Victoria and Vancouver with the cruise industry.  Horgan was the big shot at the beginning of the pandemic tossing insults and even refusing to  speak with the Americans about port calls without passenger departures, now he needs to suck up to Trudeau in an effort to save BC from loosing $$$$$$Billions$$$$$

It will be that much harder to sell Victoria's premium condos when the traveling wealthy aren't coming to see the city.

Victoria will be lucky to see half the visiting ships and loose thousands of $$$$$ spent in the downtown core.  Way to go Horgan.......I guess you can offset the losses buy cutting much more of the old growth forests. Clear that land and plant even more BC pot.  Do we now have at least one pot shop on every street in the downtowncore?

Perhaps as a parting gift Mayor Helps can turn Customs house and the Pearl into transitional homesNo A

Are you kidding me with this BS?  Cruise ship passengers decide where they want to travel...and if they all want to come to Victoria and or Vancouver, then that is where the cruise ship company and the cruise ship will take them.  Not all cruise ships are American.  This is not a law banning cruise ships.  Jeez!  Chill out.

#664 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 17 October 2021 - 08:19 AM

Aren’t like 90% of the cruise ships that visit Victoria American? Maybe even 95%?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#665 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 17 October 2021 - 10:57 AM

Are you kidding me with this BS?  Cruise ship passengers decide where they want to travel...and if they all want to come to Victoria and or Vancouver, then that is where the cruise ship company and the cruise ship will take them.  Not all cruise ships are American.  This is not a law banning cruise ships.  Jeez!  Chill out.

You are right Fairbanks in that if there is demand to stop in Vic/Van then cruise ships will do it. The point being made is that under the current policy, cruise ship passengers departing from Seattle would have to pay an additional $1,000 per family of 4 (PCT test) to stop in Vic/Van. I think giving the option then most passengers would take an extra port in Alaska. 

#666 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 17 October 2021 - 11:44 AM

The cruise industry is fickle and horribly polluting. Plus the congressional bill allowing cruise ships to go straight to Alaska might be lobbied to be made permanent and wreck the industry here either way. It's not great to rely on it, and with both a housing crunch and a retail worker shortage I'm not even sure if its return would bring a positive economic impact (notwithstanding pollution/noise problems)

#667 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 17 October 2021 - 12:37 PM

If cruise ships don't want to come here because it isn't a nice place than we need to make it a better place.
  • Mike K., Nparker and Barrrister like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#668 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 17 October 2021 - 12:47 PM

...with both a housing crunch and a retail worker shortage I'm not even sure if its return would bring a positive economic impact...

I am not sure how either of these situations will benefit from a reduction/cancellation of cruise ship visits.

#669 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 17 October 2021 - 01:20 PM

I am not sure how either of these situations will benefit from a reduction/cancellation of cruise ship visits.

If businesses are struggling to retain/find workers and housing is too expensive for said workers, even without cruise ships coming in - it's only going to add to both crunches. Odds are businesses would lobby for more TFWs to solve their own end of the issue, and no one in the CRD is going to crank up housing supply to accommodate the sector. 

Edited by Casual Kev, 17 October 2021 - 01:20 PM.

#670 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 17 October 2021 - 07:25 PM

Aren’t like 90% of the cruise ships that visit Victoria American? Maybe even 95%?

Depends what you mean by American. None of them are American flagged or crewed, if they were they would have no need to stop here.

They are all registered elsewhere, they don't want to be paying American taxes or wages.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#671 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 17 October 2021 - 07:34 PM

American, as in American corporations run them. That accounts for virtually all ships that visit Victoria, because of the regulation that requires the stopover.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#672 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 18 October 2021 - 12:20 PM

Finding workers is not a problem, just pay them more. Yes, you need to pay your workers enough that they can afford housing here. The real problem is that people dont value what you sell or do enough to pay more to couver the extra wages,

The problem is not labor shortages, nor housing, the problem is your business model.

• Matt R. likes this

#673 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,340 posts

Posted 18 October 2021 - 12:55 PM

that’s a bit simplistic but yes.

#674 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 18 October 2021 - 09:58 PM

Finding workers is not a problem, just pay them more. Yes, you need to pay your workers enough that they can afford housing here. The real problem is that people dont value what you sell or do enough to pay more to couver the extra wages,

The problem is not labor shortages, nor housing, the problem is your business model.

I suppose the same logic applies to nurses, doctors, rcmp members, hvac installers, etc etc.

Matt.
  • DavidSchell likes this

#675 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 19 October 2021 - 03:05 PM

Unfortunately Matt the same logic does apply. 

• Matt R. likes this

#676 Glen

Glen
  • 279 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 03:25 PM

Glad being an asshole managed to get such a wide response.  Often you its the asshole that draws people out to share their opinions and open up a dialogue.  Governments count on our silence.

#677 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 06:40 PM

Seven units remain now. This will sell out soon, but let’s remember each one of these units is selling for what a penthouse would sell for at any other project.

Know it all.

#678 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 21 November 2021 - 06:10 PM

A second-floor unit is available to rent for $4,595/month. Any interested high-rollers?

https://duttons.com/...21-courtney-st/

Courtney-Street-521-208-Duttons-Real-Est

• Nparker likes this

#679 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 21 November 2021 - 06:21 PM

More than double my mortgage on 2700 sq. ft. I’ll pass thanks.
  • Matt R. likes this

#680 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,340 posts

Posted 21 November 2021 - 06:31 PM

A second-floor unit is available to rent for $4,595/month. Any interested high-rollers?

I really like how this building turned out ... yet another project Ben voted against, but got built anyways and will now supply much needed housing.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users