* * * * * 3 votes

Marijuana/cannabis businesses/dispensaries in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
5815 replies to this topic

#4921 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 10:08 AM

^ So basically the cops nabbed him because he was stealing electricity and using butane. The fact that he had an illegal grow op wasn't a concern mentioned.

#4922 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 24 December 2018 - 10:30 AM

^ Pretty much.  I wonder if reporting will eventually swing around to the threat as well?  "RCMP investigate theft of electricity and large scale butane use in Squamish".

Hopefully there won't be much, if any, motivation for this type of thing once legal distribution is adequate.

#4923 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 11:50 AM

^ Pretty much.  I wonder if reporting will eventually swing around to the threat as well?  "RCMP investigate theft of electricity and large scale butane use in Squamish".

Hopefully there won't be much, if any, motivation for this type of thing once legal distribution is adequate.

There is plenty of legal pot for sale. I don't see anything sold out on the Government website. 

The issue is that illegal pot is far less expensive, has more variety, and is more potent.

#4924 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 24 December 2018 - 02:35 PM

^ I was referring to brick & mortar retail availability.  

#4925 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,767 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:10 PM

Lisa Helps' gall and shameless hypocrisy appear to have no bounds.

...several [pot] shops don’t have zoning approval and haven’t even applied for a provincial licence. Victoria’s mayor says the province needs to shut down those pot shops right away. “There are dispensaries that are operating without zoning, without a city business licence, that appear to just be able to stay open,” says Helps. “That’s not okay.”

https://www.cheknews...ization-525297/

Let's see, the CoV turned a blind eye to a plethora of pot shops that operated for at least 2 years before legalization and now it's the province's responsibility to shut down dispensaries operating without the correct municipal zoning and a city business licence?

I'd say I am stunned, but [almost] nothing this woman says or does could surprise me anymore.  :whyme:

• LJ and Midnightly like this

#4926 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:17 PM

Let's see, the CoV turned a blind eye to a plethora of pot shops that operated for at least 2 years before legalization and now it's the province's responsibility to shut down dispensaries operating without the correct municipal zoning and a city business licence?

I'd say I am stunned, but [almost] nothing this woman says or does could surprise me anymore.  :whyme:

ofcourse it's always someone else's problem or someone else's fault.. she's just an innocent victim in all that goes wrong

• Nparker and Daveyboy like this

#4927 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:20 PM

it was the cops job before october and they would have done it. like sudney Langford and Saanich. now it’s a bit more dificjukt but should not be that hard. Possession over x amount is still criminal.

#4928 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:22 PM

Don't worry, she only wants the Province to shut down the pot shops that haven't paid the City its money.

#4929 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,767 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:23 PM

The cops don't need to get involved. If there's no business licence/incorrect zoning, why can't the CoV enforce its own rules? Does the province intervene when other businesses operate outside of municipal rules & regulations?

#4930 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:30 PM

if there was a bootleg liquor store it would not last a day.
  • Daveyboy likes this

#4931 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 10:51 PM

I'd say I am stunned, but [almost] nothing this woman says or does could surprise me anymore. :whyme:

This is nutso on a Trump scale. Its definitely "not okay." But this is what a frightening number of Victorians voted for.
  • Nparker likes this

#4932 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 06:57 AM

My email to mayor and council:

As quoted:

“There are dispensaries that are operating without zoning, without a city business licence, that appear to just be able to stay open,” says Helps. “That’s not okay.”

As mayor and council, you allowed all the pot shops to open in Victoria. Which was against Provincial and Federal law. Now you would like the Province to fix this "issue" for you? An issue that you you created?

You decided to not follow provincial law by allowing them to open. I am not surprised the province is not running to your assistance, You are surprised by that?

To Ben specifically, by emailing mayor and council, I am not granting you permission to add me to your personal email address book at benissit.ca. Please stop adding me, you have done so twice and permission is not granted.
  • Nparker and jasmineshinga like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#4933 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:39 AM

To Ben specifically, by emailing mayor and council, I am not granting you permission to add me to your personal email address book at benissit.ca. Please stop adding me, you have done so twice and permission is not granted.

Ah!  So it's not just me that received political emails from Ben after having corresponded with him in his official capacity as a City councilor.  I'm concerned that he's gone and farmed my personal information out to his Together Victoria slate and beyond.  Can we get a show of hands here as to whom else this has happened?  

• Nparker, sdwright.vic and rmpeers like this

#4934 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:41 AM

+1 and I reported him to the CRTC.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 16 January 2019 - 08:43 AM.

#4935 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,767 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:46 AM

... Can we get a show of hands here as to whom else this has happened?  

It happened to me last week.  :mad:

#4936 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:47 AM

+1 and I reported him to the CRTC.

I, too, received a very mealy-mouthed and insulting-to-my-intelligence excuse when I called him on it.  Not sure if the CRTC is the right avenue; I think it would be the City Clerk's office and failing that, the OPCBC.

• rmpeers likes this

#4937 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:01 AM

I am getting around to that one also. But have not found a way to complain online. They want you to, of all things, fill out a paper form!?!

#4938 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:02 AM

But I think he may be breaking ant-spam laws, as one must opt in to subscription emails from websites. This is his personal website adding emails from government emails servers.

#4939 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:15 AM

Unless an email is publicly displayed, i.e. on a website for the public to see, an email address being added to a mailing list must be authorized through a process the CRTC describes as part of its Canada Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL).

Taking an email address from correspondence to Email A, but adding it to a mailing list under Email B, sans explicit authorization to do so, appears, at the very least, to be in contravention of basic CASL requirements.

• Nparker and sdwright.vic like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4940 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:48 AM

Ah! So it's not just me that received political emails from Ben after having corresponded with him in his official capacity as a City councilor. I'm concerned that he's gone and farmed my personal information out to his Together Victoria slate and beyond. Can we get a show of hands here as to whom else this has happened?

Me too. He also never followed up on the thing I suggested in my email, to my knowledge.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users