Marijuana/cannabis businesses/dispensaries in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
5815 replies to this topic

#5001 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 13 March 2019 - 12:31 PM

At the end of 2018, black market sales still accounted for 80 per cent of Canadian recreational cannabis purchases.

https://nationalpost...nment-hoped-for

Maybe they should have put more effort into their distribution efforts.  If you could get cannabis with the ease of getting booze I suspect the tax revenues would be greater.

#5002 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 01:14 PM

I’m surprised I thought you’d see more people openly smoking pot than you do once it became legal. I personally don’t notice any difference at all .
  • Dr. Barillas likes this

#5003 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 01:15 PM

I’m surprised I thought you’d see more people openly smoking pot than you do once it became legal. I personally don’t notice any difference at all .

Agreed. It smelled terrible before and it still does now.

• Love the rock and rmpeers like this

#5004 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 01:22 PM

Maybe they should have put more effort into their distribution efforts.  If you could get cannabis with the ease of getting booze I suspect the tax revenues would be greater.

It's legal but you can only buy it from us and were sold out..... 

#5005 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,071 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 01:30 PM

i saw a couple girls the other day outside tim horton's.  well away from the door.  i admit i thought it twas a bit odd.  but that's the only time i can recall seeing/smelling public use.

#5006 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 03:21 PM

I catch the odd whiff walking through town, but no more than I used to before it was legalized.

• tedward likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#5007 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 13 March 2019 - 03:52 PM

It's legal but you can only buy it from us and were sold out..... 

I'm thinking more like the lack of brick&mortar retailers.  Not everyone wants to buy weed online.

And why can't you get liquor delivered to your house via Canada Post?  This is all bass-ackwards...

#5008 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,071 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 04:19 PM

And why can't you get liquor delivered to your house via Canada Post?  This is all bass-ackwards...

I actually think you can.

https://cookstliquor.com/beermail/

Or you can have it delivered by courier/delivery service.

http://www.liquorexpress.ca/delivery/

http://dialabottle.c...ivery-victoria/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 March 2019 - 04:23 PM.

#5009 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 13 March 2019 - 04:36 PM

^ Neat but strange.  The first one is beer packs only it seems.  The other two both offer phone numbers to call with zero information otherwise.  That's cutting edge 90's web design.

Just add a shopping cart to the http://www.bcliquorstores.com/ website - they are 95% of the way there.

#5010 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,071 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 04:42 PM

legal dial a bottle has been around in victoria since the 80’s. odd it has not evolved.

#5011 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 06:53 PM

Speaking of liquor:

Capture.JPG

#5012 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 07:08 PM

i saw a couple girls the other day outside tim horton's.  well away from the door.  i admit i thought it twas a bit odd.  but that's the only time i can recall seeing/smelling public use.

Well you don't really see people walking around drinking from a whiskey bottle either.

Can you legally smoke weed in public?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5013 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 08:34 PM

Anywhere you can smoke, you can smoke weed now. Sadly too often I see smokers of both sorts congregating at or near signs demarkating non-smoking areas such as bus shelters and public squares/parks.
  • Nparker likes this

~ Jasmine ~

#5014 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 08:38 PM

Well you don't really see people walking around drinking from a whiskey bottle either.

You obviously never knew my great uncle.

• todd and jasmineshinga like this

#5015 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 13 March 2019 - 08:59 PM

To be fair, no one really knows what exactly is in the brown paper bag.  Could be a Dasani...

• Mike K. and jonny like this

#5016 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:40 AM

Distribution is part of it but my bet is that the price is the determining factor. Until the feds get the guts to go after the large illegal growers (which they won't) then things won't change. I read recently that tax revenue is less than 5% of what the feds forecast.

#5017 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,071 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:05 AM

Distribution is part of it but my bet is that the price is the determining factor. Until the feds get the guts to go after the large illegal growers (which they won't) then things won't change. I read recently that tax revenue is less than 5% of what the feds forecast.

maybe the question is should they go after them.  the illegal market has worked for the last 50 years.  there is a massive underground trade of prostitution and tutors and home renovators and ridesharing etc. etc.  even underground booze from home-brews.  should they be any lesser a target?  i'm not sure.  government warnings of poor quality pot leading to ill-health are mostly overblown most would agree.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 March 2019 - 07:12 AM.

#5018 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:07 AM

maybe the question is should they go after them.  the illegal market has worked for the last 50 years.  there is a massive underground trade of prostitution and tutors and home renovators and ridesharing etc. etc.  should they be any lesser a target?

I think that the feds do go after underground operators in other industries but having said that, none of those are taking away 80% of the business and 95% of the tax dollars!

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#5019 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,071 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:14 AM

yes government hates competition.  maybe they should not have entered this industry so late.

• todd likes this

#5020 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:22 AM

We will see next week what impact this will have on the Fed budget. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)