[Downtown] Capital Six Theatre | Built

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#21 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:39 AM

There is one problem with this location: parking. For heavier items and larger grocery runs you need a vehicle, and MOY at least offers free parking.

Once Chard moves on his 819 Yates project the parking lot adjacent to Cap 6 will be no more.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:41 AM

There is one problem with this location: parking. For heavier items and larger grocery runs you need a vehicle, and MOY at least offers free parking.

Once Chard moves on his 819 Yates project the parking lot adjacent to Cap 6 will be no more.

Underground?

There's no way the existing building would remain, is there?

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:46 AM

I guess we're assuming it will, but yes, if redeveloped then definitely they would go with underground parking.

Is Empire a developer of grocery stores and complexes or only a leasee?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:48 AM

Empire has significant real estate holdings.

http://www.empireco....EDAR_secure.pdf

#25 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:52 AM

Not sure how much this factors into real estate purchases, but I would think that a nice new grocery store + redeveloped or refurbished Capitol 6 building would be a big boost for the 819 Yates project. Even if they do not colloborate whatsoever, they are mutually beneficial.

#26 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:49 AM

Parking is less of a concern for a downtown grocery store. It's primary customers will probably be downtown anyway. Maybe the Dev next door will have some underground dedicated to it. Plus, Both the View street and the Johnson street parkades is are similar walking distance as parking in the costco lot and walking to it's grocery store. They both accept one hour free parking cards from retailers as well.... It's probably the best location for a downtown grocery store because of it's proximity to parking. You just can't load up a cart full. I personally never take a grocery cart to my car.... 

#27 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:54 AM

I know that Mother Nature's Market in Cook Street Village was banking on a lot more people driving to their store and making large purchases. Instead, they got a lot of smaller purchases from people on foot or bikes. Average purchase price is quite low compared to a suburban grocery store with a big parking lot.

This location could be quite similar in that regard.

Edited by Mr Cook Street, 08 July 2014 - 09:55 AM.

#28 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:09 AM

Not a lot of double wide fridges and deep freezers in those micro lofts ;-)

#29 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:19 AM

An urban grocery store could work without parking I think with all of the new residential that exists and is going up/planned nearby. People who live downtown tend to shop more frequently and don't do the big bulk purchases so much, in my experience anyway.

A quick stop kind of concept with lots of takeaway items like sandwiches and hot food could work.

#30 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:23 AM

I would give this rumour the same consideration as the one that had Thrifty's opening up in the Hudson.

#31 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:36 AM

I for one NEVER thought they would go into the Hudson.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#32 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:38 AM

Parking is less of a concern for a downtown grocery store. It's primary customers will probably be downtown anyway. Maybe the Dev next door will have some underground dedicated to it. Plus, Both the View street and the Johnson street parkades is are similar walking distance as parking in the costco lot and walking to it's grocery store. They both accept one hour free parking cards from retailers as well.... It's probably the best location for a downtown grocery store because of it's proximity to parking. You just can't load up a cart full. I personally never take a grocery cart to my car.... 

Highly, highly unlikely from what I have been hearing. Chard is having enough trouble just accommodating the City's minimum parking requirements on this site and still making the project work.

Keep in mind though that the parking at Harris Green Village or whatever it's called is almost always 90%+ full. People are taking their vehicles to shop at MOY, just not as many as would at a traditional grocery store.

Know it all.

#33 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:40 AM

That is London Drugs parking as well.

#34 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:41 AM

At first blush this one has a bit more credibility given who owns the building.

Another downtown grocery store does make some sense given the volume of new residential. Right now Yates/Blanshard seems to be the epicenter when you consider the Wave, Juliet, 834, Churchill, Era, Dalton Rentals, the existing buildings on View and the future Chard building(s) next door which seem to be imminent. The Atrium across the street has over 1,000 hungry office workers who pick up stuff for lunch or something for supper, not to mention the other nearby office buildings.

The Market on Yates seems to always be busy, so there is a decent market downtown.

#35 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:48 AM

Yes, the market is way busier than it's parking lot would suggest. If it was my grocery store I would offer valet parking for a buck for an hour. Problem solved and better service than any other grocery store! There is always parking at view and Johnson so the valet could just park there. Free is you spend $200 or more.

#36 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:14 PM

In fact, you can even see the capital six building from the view st parkade. That eazy home entrance could be another entrance to the grocery store. Heck I wouldn't want carts leaving a downtown store anyway, not even to a parking lot! 

2md29z6.jpg

#37 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:38 PM

MOY also has underground parking accessible off View. If you're in need of parking at a grocery store, I just don't know if trekking to a nearby parkade with heavy items would be desirable. I can see people who larger grocery purchases just getting into their car and driving to a grocery store elsewhere, but for daily food purchases they would, of course, just walk over.

Know it all.

#38 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:42 PM

I don't think it would work as a place for large grocery purchases. I go to the Market on Yates often, and most customers walk out with a bag or two.

#39 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:56 PM

The entire Harris Green shpping centre needs to be redone also. Maybe this will encourage MOY to find a newer more modern location. I would say the new rental building art Vancouver and Pandora is ever approved

Edited by sdwright.vic, 08 July 2014 - 02:56 PM.

#40 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:35 PM

Empire has significant real estate holdings.

http://www.empireco....EDAR_secure.pdf

Big companies don't operate the way that you might think. Just because one division has an asset doesn't mean that other divisions get open access. More often than not the left hand has no idea what the right hand is even up to.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users