2019 Canadian Federal Election - general discussion

• Please log in to reply
5846 replies to this topic

#4841 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,668 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 01:44 PM

I'm the most undecided I have ever been on the brink of an election. I find myself, who historically would claim a strong liberal bias - where liberal was defined as wanting reasonable fiscal management coupled with socially progressive policy, leaning towards the conservatives for the first time in my adult life. I can't support Trudeau's liberals for a bunch of reasons - but at the same time, I also cannot support either the greens or the NDP whose economic policies would cripple Canada for generations to come. I know that leaning such a way in my riding is basically casting my ballot to the wind as the conservative candidate stands about the same chance of winning as I do of discovering my lotto max numbers matched the draw.

It's a shame I find this leaning so unsettling and at odds with my core beliefs around a woman's right to choose. It's a shame that the person I'd most like to vote for, I can't because of who is at the helm and the track record of the last four years. It's a shame I am not more sold on the candidate I'm likely to vote for - but I suppose every one must wrestle with their choice at least once.

I have a close friend who will be voting Conservative for the first time in his life, and his description of the shift he’s seen within himself isn’t far off from yours.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4842 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 01:48 PM

ESS is certainly looking very interesting. The PPC may actually prevent the Conservatives from stealing a seat here.
My vote is going to Pewarchuk.

http://338canada.com...59026e.htm#odds

The map just shows how dumb this district is...

Man if the PPC cost the cons an upset win like that that would be something

#4843 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,668 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 01:51 PM

It would be unforgivable among local Conservative voters.

Hopefully this election sends a strong message to Bernier’s financial backers to confirm that the PPC was a failed experiment.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4844 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,620 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 01:52 PM

I like how obvious Ed the sock's bias is.... Look at how he describes Trudeaus violations of ethics! Here is my bias to mix. Trudeau didn't just take a helicopter ride with an old family friend who runs a charity. He vacations with the elite of the elite! He is chums with his Highness Prince Karim Aga Khan one of the world’s richest royals, with an estimated net worth of $800 million US. Some believe he is a direct descendant of Islam’s Prophet Muhammad. This is a sample of the people he works for, It's not you and I that is for certain.... 

• rjag and Wayne like this

#4845 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 01:52 PM

PPC has been polling as high as 4% nationally. Even if they fail to win a single seat, 4% across Canada could cost the cons like 20 seats easily

#4846 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,668 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 02:00 PM

Yeah, waaay out in the beginning when we were still in la la land.

Now that people are thinking strategically the musings of a PCC candidate or three will evaporate.

Know it all.

#4847 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,668 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 02:01 PM

I like how obvious Ed the sock's bias is.... Look at how he describes Trudeaus violations of ethics! Here is my bias to mix. Trudeau didn't just take a helicopter ride with an old family friend who runs a charity. He vacations with the elite of the elite! He is chums with his Highness Prince Karim Aga Khan one of the world’s richest royals, with an estimated net worth of $800 million US. Some believe he is a direct descendant of Islam’s Prophet Muhammad. This is a sample of the people he works for, It's not you and I that is for certain....

A bygone hand puppet lecturing grown men and women. It’s embarrassing to see how many people are taken in with such cheap tricks.

Know it all.

#4848 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 02:05 PM

Yeah, waaay out in the beginning when we were still in la la land.

Now that people are thinking strategically the musings of a PCC candidate or three will evaporate.

Yeah but like I say they don't need to elect a single candidate to seriously damage the conservatives. Even 2% will hurt conservatives chances in a dozen or so ridings across Canada

#4849 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,327 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 02:08 PM

I don’t lose sleep over it. the green and ndp and bloc take dozens of seats from the liberals every single election. not going to rain on ppc for a little of the same.

imagine the hell we would live in if the left ever unites.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 October 2019 - 02:10 PM.

• Cats4Hire likes this

#4850 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,668 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 03:04 PM

The sock has announced it will be harassing people on their way out of polling stations on behalf of the CBC's 22 Minutes comedy show, in Halifax.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.

#4851 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,327 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 03:13 PM

The sock has announced it will be harassing people on their way out of polling stations on behalf of the CBC's 22 Minutes comedy show, in Halifax.

what about ed the suck?

https://twitter.com/suck_ed

#4852 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 18 October 2019 - 03:22 PM

He is a total idiot

#4853 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,668 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 03:22 PM

Not sure what that sock is doing on election nite. Laundry, maybe?

• Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.

#4854 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,668 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 03:25 PM

He is a total idiot

The sock's humour is so flat I'm starting to wonder if the puppet master isn't Rick Mercer.

• rjag and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.

#4855 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 03:36 PM

This will be the first Canadian federal election in which I will be voting. I'm interested in how people structure their decision-making when voting for the local candidate. I'm not talking about your political views, I'm happy with my reasonable understanding of the issues and where candidates stand. I'm not looking to unleash a Liberals vs. Conservatives argument or anything of that nature. I'm just talking about how people frame their personal decisions.

The Canadian system is obviously very different from the US system. The separate election for President and Congress in the US is the clearest distinction, but also the strong executive role of President and the unique position of the US on the international stage influences how some informed voters approach their decision.

For example, it is not uncommon for many people to vote for two different parties for Congress and President. (Some people even explicitly prefer that the Legislative and Executive branches be run by different parties for "balance" - setting aside how that has worked in the last 5-6 year).

Another example is that some will be more interested in voting for "character" and "personality" for President than on the issues alone. If a global crisis breaks out, it may well involve a situation that wasn't even considered a "campaign issue"; some voters therefore are more focused on whether they are voting for the "right kind of person" to handle an emerging and unforeseen crisis. This is a bigger issue when you are talking about the President of the US.

So I'm wondering if anyone wants to contrast that with their personal thought process when voting in the parliamentary system. Take this as a hypothetical example: suppose I think Singh is a far better potential leader than Trudeau; but I would rather vote for McDonald than Collins; and maybe I'm more aligned with the Liberal platform than the NDP platform. Again, I'm not interested in your opinions on the various parties and the various leaders, just the thinking behind how you resolve this type of conflicting factors.

#4856 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 03:46 PM

Lots of conflicting factors when you live in an ultra left riding like Victoria. Personally, I don't want to see the NDP win the Victoria seat, but I really, really don't want to see the Greens win it. The party I want to win the seat isn't going to win it, I know that (Go Jordan Reichert!!!...jk). I've been thinking I would just throw away my vote for the party I've wanted to this whole time, but seeing how close the NDP and Greens are right now...I might end up tossing my vote to Laurel to A) Do what I can to stop a Green seat in Victoria, and B) Hopefully open up a Council seat for someone with a bit more Geoff Young in them than Ben Isitt in them.

Call it strategic voting, but at least there's the added benefit of a council by-election.

• Greg likes this

#4857 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,327 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 03:56 PM

The Canadian system is obviously very different from the US system. The separate election for President and Congress in the US is the clearest distinction, but also the strong executive role of President and the unique position of the US on the international stage influences how some informed voters approach their decision.

yes but consider that in many instances the prime minister is more powerful than a president.  just look at how most house of commons votes go.  very few party members if any will dissent with the party line.  the party line dictated by the pm.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 October 2019 - 03:56 PM.

• Greg likes this

#4858 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,668 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 03:59 PM

Yes, and I’m certain you’re not the only one thinking along those lines re Collins.

Personally I would vote based on the person more than the party. If an NDP candidate like Rankin materialized in my riding I’d probably back him or her, simply on the basis of the MP holding relatively high status in the party.

If you’ve got a candidate that has a future in a ministerial position that would also skew my choice.

But then there are those times when all candidates are relatively equal, so you pick your colour and go.
  • johnk likes this

Know it all.

#4859 JimV

JimV
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 04:03 PM

So I'm wondering if anyone wants to contrast that with their personal thought process when voting in the parliamentary system. Take this as a hypothetical example: suppose I think Singh is a far better potential leader than Trudeau; but I would rather vote for McDonald than Collins; and maybe I'm more aligned with the Liberal platform than the NDP platform. Again, I'm not interested in your opinions on the various parties and the various leaders, just the thinking behind how you resolve this type of conflicting factors.

Well, the reality in a parliamentary system is that the Whip is applied to elected members. In other words, they have to vote with their party or face (sometimes severe) consequences. Free votes are few and far between. So no matter what your candidate says, they will vote with the party leader in the HOC.

So generally it's better to vote for the party. The exception would be if the candidate has some serious baggage. There are a few other factors that may also apply. For instance, if your favoured candidate or party really has no chance you may want to vote for the least bad other party to try and stop the leading candidate from winning. Some people also vote for a candidate they think may end up in Cabinet. That one can backfire however, since a Cabinet minister usually has little time to represent his or her constituents.
  • Greg likes this

#4860 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 04:26 PM

Elizabeth May was out in my neck of the woods this afternoon...

48921415271_51c1c046ca_k.jpg

48921413891_14ef513831_k.jpg

48921414576_02e78083fc_k.jpg

Edited by Gary H, 18 October 2019 - 04:27 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users