2019 Canadian Federal Election - general discussion

• Please log in to reply
5846 replies to this topic

#4881 FogPub

FogPub
  • 982 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 October 2019 - 03:18 PM

On the Island, the party could win up to three more seats, going from two MPs to potentially five, he said. “They won’t reach official party status of 12 seats, but even to get halfway there is a lot better than where they were last election, with Elizabeth May in this lonely corner of Canada just holding on.”

https://www.timescol...-ndp-1.23981849

those three seats are obviously victoria but what else?

Esq-San-Sooke, which seems to be a complete toss-up; and possibly Cowichan.  (and off the Island, possibly one or two in the maritimes as well)

Edited by FogPub, 19 October 2019 - 03:20 PM.

#4882 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,086 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 06:13 PM

i do not like warren kinsella but i'm not sure why anyone is getting worked up over this thing.

anyway he has responded tonight:

http://warrenkinsell...9/10/statement/

#4883 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 06:28 PM

saw this today - AND DID NOT factcheck it - but felt it was worth a repost

Attached Images

• media.png

#4884 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 06:36 PM

^everyone knows the endorsements they make come from post media owners or something and do not reflect at all the editorial direction or content of the papers. The articles will all be very biased against cons and then out of nowhere comes this endorsement. None of the actual staff agree with the endorsements. And in any case print media is nothing compared to the CBC

#4885 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:10 PM

^^ If all one does is reference newspapers who endorse Conservative candidates then of course it is going to look biased! 

#4886 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:20 PM

The bias from CBC/CTV etc has been particularly egregious this election. The recent example is the "fact checking" of scheers "lies" about liberals/NDP raising taxes. Basically he was saying that to pay for their publically planned massive deficits the libs or whoever would have to eventually raise taxes. For example, the GST. And the media goes "oh they haven't explicitly said they'll raise taxes so that's a lie". WELL OF COURSE THEY AREN'T GOING PUBLICALLY COME OUT AND SAY THEY'LL RAISE TAXES. Scheer is saying it's inevitable that they will regardless of what they say on the campaign trail. There's a difference.
  • rjag, LJ and Wayne like this

#4887 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 10:54 PM

^^ If all one does is reference newspapers who endorse Conservative candidates then of course it is going to look biased! 

i am sure you have a long list of of major market, significant circulation, newspapers that don't endorse conservative candidates

#4888 FogPub

FogPub
  • 982 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 October 2019 - 01:08 AM

^Where's theTimes-Colonist on that list?  Also, while I notice CBC is listed, where's CTV and Global?

#4889 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,086 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 03:26 AM

that list is pretty selective.

#4890 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,152 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 04:32 AM

What does an "endorsement" look like?

#4891 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,086 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 05:21 AM

https://nationalpost...tive-government

NP View: Canada needs a Conservative government

Canada deserves better, because better is, after all, always possible. Our democracy permits us to choose a new leader when the current one falls short of even his own stated ideals, as Trudeau repeatedly has

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 October 2019 - 05:22 AM.

#4892 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,086 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 05:23 AM

https://www.thestar....for-canada.html

Liberals are the best choice for Canada

#4893 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,086 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 05:27 AM

trudeau will be in victoria today.

#4894 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 05:42 AM

Which reinforces the potential Macdonald represents, Windsor’s chance at unseating May and the four-way tie in ESS. So much for May’s ‘our centre is left of centre’ attempt to subtly quell support for Libs and Cons.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4895 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,086 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 05:58 AM

Which reinforces the potential Macdonald represents

i think you'll be wrong here.  but it's hard to know from last time where there was technically no candidate and liberals still got votes.

#4896 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 06:31 AM

It’s important enough for the PM to be here, and that tells you something.

Personally I feel Macdonald didn’t campaign enough. I heard far more from Collins and Kooy than I did Macdonald and she also missed the CFAX all candidates debate for Victoria due to a scheduling conflict when Freeland arrived for an announcement and Macdonald attended that event in lieu of being in studio. The announcement should have been pushed back to give the candidate that exposure on the radio.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4897 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,086 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 06:39 AM

trudeau will be in victoria today.

6-8pm at bard and banker.

https://event.libera...-justin-trudeau

#4898 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,086 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 06:45 AM

generally you should clear the stage of old white guys before you do a big dance entry.

pretty funny though jagmeet dances in to meet the crowd and john horgan - and keeps dancing:

https://twitter.com/...629989183471616

#4899 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 20 October 2019 - 06:49 AM

Didnt get 1 single door knock from any candidates in my riding of Victoria. Got at least 4 calls from the Libs and 3 from the NDP. 

Them "Can we count on your vote and support?" 

Me "Nope"

Them "Can we ask why not?"

Me "Yes you can ... reason 1, reason 2, reason 3 etc etc"

Them "oh ok can we ask who you are supporting?"

Me "Nope"

Them "ok thanks"

Me "no probs, thanks for calling, I hope you dont encounter too many jerks tonight"

Them "Its been pretty good, most callers who arent supporting either hang up or have a reasonable chat like we just did, but theres always going to be the odd angry idiot, but thanks for asking"

So the sum total of my contact with the LPC and NDP were a few calls from volunteers who dont need the grief....really surprised no calls from the Greens or CPC.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#4900 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:06 AM

No candidates knocked on my door and not a single flyer was left at my place. No phone calls either. Weird.

I have to say though that one of the funniest exchanges in the election was during a Bill Carroll show segment (CFAX on Fridays, 1-3PM) when a Singh campaign rep/pundit said something to the effect of, with Carroll’s response:

“Many people are saying, ‘let’s give Jag a test drive in this election.’”

“A test drive is a lot different than buying a Jag and maintaining it.”

Ouch.
  • rjag likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users