2019 Canadian Federal Election - general discussion

• Please log in to reply
5846 replies to this topic

#5121 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,567 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 10:05 AM

Indeed, while the popular vote in Canada went to the Conservatives despite the negative branding courtesy of so much of the media and special interest groups.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5122 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 10:45 AM

Indeed, while the popular vote in Canada went to the Conservatives despite the negative branding courtesy of so much of the media and special interest groups.

By my calculation, some 64% of the population opted to vote against the Conservatives, so I'm not sure we can say they "won" the popular vote.  And if you do a breakdown of seats based on the popular vote, the Liberals + NDP seats would definitely outnumber the Conservatives (and even Conservatives + BQ) in Parliament. 

So hopefully we can derail the narrative that the Conservatives in anyway represent the majority of Canadians.

Edited by Jason-L, 23 October 2019 - 10:46 AM.

• Kapten Kapsell, Hotel Mike, tedward and 1 other like this

#5123 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 23 October 2019 - 10:47 AM

It would seem, though, that based on the election results conservatives rejected those views by not re-electing Bernier or a single MP for the People’s Party, which could be argued split on the basis of immigration and culture-related issues.

Insert cheesy joke here

#5124 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 23 October 2019 - 10:48 AM

By my calculation, some 64% of the population opted to vote against the Conservatives, so I'm not sure we can say they "won" the popular vote.  And if you do a breakdown of seats based on the popular vote, the Liberals + NDP seats would definitely outnumber the Conservatives (and even Conservatives + BQ) in Parliament. 

So hopefully we can derail the narrative that the Conservatives in anyway represent the majority of Canadians.

Except for those compelled to vote liberal because they could not "swallow" the regressive social attitudes that seem part and parcel of the current conservative package.  I think far fewer Canadians are truly as "progressive" as the numbers voting NDP, Green and Liberal may suggest.

#5125 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 23 October 2019 - 10:53 AM

I like the ice cream analogy. Vanilla won the popular vote, but the chocolate vote was split among chocolate almond, chocolate walnut, and chocolate pecan. They agreed on chocolate, just not which nuts they wanted with it.

• Mike K., GaryRanson, shoeflack and 3 others like this

#5126 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 10:56 AM

I'm certain there are local people that disliked the conservative party and voted Liberal even though there weren't any competitive ridings here because either (a) they wanted to add to the LIberal's popular vote count or (b) they're unengaged voters that were under the impression a Liberal vote would support Trudeau and weaken Scheer. Or something like that. There are a lot of voters that don't quite get how the system works. 

• tedward, Awaiting Juno and Victoria Watcher like this

#5127 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 10:59 AM

I'm certain there are local people that disliked the conservative party and voted Liberal even though there weren't any competitive ridings here because either (a) they wanted to add to the LIberal's popular vote count or (b) they're unengaged voters that were under the impression a Liberal vote would support Trudeau and weaken Scheer. Or something like that. There are a lot of voters that don't quite get how the system works.

Exactly. Voting is complicated. There are also a lot of people who vote inexplicably for parties that they personally do not agree with on any level. There are a lot of very right wing people who vote ndp especially rurally. Voting is also very regional. How many red neck Newfie’s voted liberal? When polled on the issues the majority of people often hold views that the parties don’t reflect at all for instance on immigration
  • Awaiting Juno likes this

#5128 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,087 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 03:27 PM

Bed Bath & Beyond has removed black jack-o’-lanterns from sale after a News 12 investigation that stemmed from complaints in Nyack about the product.

A Halloween display in front of a law firm was taken down in Nyack because the jack-o'-lanterns upset some community members. The jack-o’-lanterns are painted black with a white mouth.

18873499_G.jpeg

http://westchester.n...laints-in-nyack

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 October 2019 - 03:27 PM.

#5129 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,087 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 04:03 PM

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says a new gender-balanced cabinet will be sworn in Nov. 20, giving him four weeks to figure out how Alberta and Saskatchewan will be represented at the table.

“This is something that I take very seriously as a responsibility to ensure that we are moving forward in ways that benefit all Canadians,” Trudeau said Wednesday in his first news conference since Monday’s election. 

The Liberals were wiped off the electoral map in Alberta and Saskatchewan with Conservatives winning all but one riding between those two provinces. The blue sweep pushed out two high-profile Liberal incumbents, cabinet ministers Ralph Goodale from Regina and Edmonton’s Amarjeet Sohi.

https://www.huffingt...XGM4nHU8DnbBFJL

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 October 2019 - 04:04 PM.

#5130 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 04:13 PM

Sadly that's what the conservative brand means to many Canadians.  It's become a slur, in no small part due to our neighbour to the South who has tarnished the reputation of being conservative.

...and this is unfortunate...but the key moment is clear...the takeover of the progressive conservatives by the western reform movement. since that date there has been a steady erosion in the "progressive" aspects of conservatism...and has pushed many people away...

peter mckay where are you?

disclaimer; joe clark is my wife's 2nd cousin

• AllseeingEye, Awaiting Juno and Victoria Watcher like this

#5131 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 04:21 PM

They should have stayed "Canadian Reform Alliance Party". Might have been able to shake that "Conservative" label then and maybe get some young people voting for the CRAP party!

#5132 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,617 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 04:56 PM

...and this is unfortunate...but the key moment is clear...the takeover of the progressive conservatives by the western reform movement. since that date there has been a steady erosion in the "progressive" aspects of conservatism...and has pushed many people away...

Absolutely, me being one of them. I've been saying this for months on my social media: this Scheer-led lot is no more progressive conservative than I am a threat to erase Wayne Gretzky's NHL scoring records.

Robert Stanfield must be rolling in his grave watching these so-called 'conservatives', who are nothing but poorly disguised Reform zealots. And I'm certain Clark, a well known Red Tory, must privately walk around with his jaw hanging open in disgusted amazement. Which is why I couldn't vote for them this time. Certainly there are whispers that McKay might take a run for the leadership down the line, in which case I'd revisit the notion of supporting the party again.

As it stands though now, and as Andrew Cohen has pointed out, in terms of backroom influence within the <cough> 'Conservative' party, the shadow of Jason Kenney looms large.

Edited by AllseeingEye, 23 October 2019 - 04:58 PM.

#5133 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,087 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 05:06 PM

conservatives won election in 2006 2008 and 2011.  not so far away everyone.  no big deal.  they'll likely win the next one also.

#5134 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 05:34 PM

Reform elements got elected. PC elements lost. Scheer is the issue, not conservatism.

#5135 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 05:44 PM

Peter Mckay?

Still crying over Belinda.

#5136 JimV

JimV
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 07:21 PM

Reform elements got elected. PC elements lost. Scheer is the issue, not conservatism.

I think the issue goes well beyond Scheer. I think Humpty Dumpty has had a great fall.

There are at least four great fissures in the body politic:
- climate change
- energy policy
- Quebec
- FN rights
They all contradict each other. There is no solution that can simultaneously reconcile the advocates for each cause.

Canada never made any sense geographically. It held together because of a common culture, vestigial loyalty to the mother country (at least in the Anglo regions), and fear of the republic to the south.

The common culture is gone and papering over the cracks isn't going to work anymore. None of the current leaders have what it takes to restore a sense of unity and even if some truly exceptional and charismatic personality appeared it would only be a temporary solution.

The direction, I think, is towards the disintegration of the country into regions where people feel more or less comfortable with each other.
  • RFS likes this

#5137 LJ

LJ
  • 12,747 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 07:30 PM

Rex Murphy's take...

https://nationalpost...-now-its-molten

• A Girl is No one likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5138 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,617 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 08:14 PM

I think the issue goes well beyond Scheer. I think Humpty Dumpty has had a great fall.

- climate change
- energy policy
- Quebec
- FN rights
They all contradict each other. There is no solution that can simultaneously reconcile the advocates for each cause.

Canada never made any sense geographically. It held together because of a common culture, vestigial loyalty to the mother country (at least in the Anglo regions), and fear of the republic to the south.

The common culture is gone and papering over the cracks isn't going to work anymore. None of the current leaders have what it takes to restore a sense of unity and even if some truly exceptional and charismatic personality appeared it would only be a temporary solution.

The direction, I think, is towards the disintegration of the country into regions where people feel more or less comfortable with each other.

.......that reason being by far Numero Uno certainly for the first fifty years or so. As one historian said some years ago re: this country "the mere existence of......railroads and hockey" aren't necessarily the most fundamentally sound conditions for the binding together from coast to coast of such a huge and diverse land.....

Interesting take on present day Canada for sure. In terms of "distinct" regions we certainly have several - the Maritimes, Quebec (of course!), Ontario, which sees itself as the center of Everything, the Prairie region, BC, and last but certainly not least the Far North.

You could make a good case in fact and go even more granular: within the Maritime region Newfoundland is certainly a unique and many would say distinct society, and increasingly so too Alberta when looking at "Prairie" Canada. And almost without exception all of the above feel to one extent or another they are getting the short end of the stick from Ottawa.

It would be fascinating to be able to come back and see where this confederation is in a hundred years.....

Edited by AllseeingEye, 23 October 2019 - 08:16 PM.

#5139 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 09:57 PM

- climate change
- energy policy
- Quebec
- FN rights

You nailed it

#5140 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,087 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 01:07 AM

Four people have been arrested and charged in connection with a protest outside a People's Party of Canada event featuring Maxime Bernier in Hamilton on Sept. 29.

One of those charged by Hamilton police is a man whose Toronto family restaurant closed temporarily this month after receiving a barrage of death threats and hate mail.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...rests-1.5331920

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users