#4861 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 04:32 PM

That dog looks photoshopped.
  • Wayne and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4862 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 05:04 PM

My 2 cents: I have always been centre-left and generally vote for whom I consider to be the candidate who best represents my beliefs, my hopes etc.

I did not vote for Collins for two reasons.

1) She ran and was elected to a 3-year term as a Victoria councillor. Rankin decided not to re-offer and she jumped on the opening. I could be crass and suggest she saw a 300% payday raise plus benefits. Given that municipal politics offer the level of politics that most directly influences most peoples' lives and perhaps the greatest opportunity to effect change, where is your commitment to the citizens of Victoria? Did you not sign on for three years? How much can you effect from a 3rd or 4th party seat in a back row of a corner of the House of Commons?

Please do not annoy me or bore me with talking points scripted in the back room.

2) What experience does she offer beyond the verdant campus of UVic? A glance at her CV suggests she went to school at age 5 and hasn't put in much time off a campus of one kind or another, instead accumulating what a friend calls "soft degrees" . Little real and varied life experience but lots of theory though.

I've seen enough ill-informed blather from others of that ilk to say, "Feh!"

Edited by johnk, 18 October 2019 - 05:07 PM.

#4863 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 05:06 PM

In the absence of a really unique candidate, you basically have to vote for the party that most reflects your values. For me that's the Islamic party of Canada, and since they are running any candidates, I vote conservative to piss of libs
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#4864 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 05:07 PM

That dog looks photoshopped.

That’s not a dog.
  • Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#4865 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 05:17 PM

It’s not just three years, johnk, she signed up for four. And barely 1/8th through her term she announced she wanted to pursue federal politics.

Fumble after fumble after fumble as a councillor cemented her date quite some time ago, I feel. This is Kooy’s election to lose but Stirling did bring up valid points about Macdonald. The question is, is the electorate aware of who Macdonald is? I don’t think they are.
  • johnk likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4866 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 05:18 PM

Maybe Collins took Horgan's advice about staying in one's lane and agrees cruise ships need to be banned in Victoria so is going to the level that is her lane.

#4867 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 06:49 PM

The robo calls are killing me. 6 in the last 15 minutes.

#4868 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 07:13 PM

I vote for the party as long as the local candidate isn't way off somewhere.
  • Greg likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4869 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 08:42 PM

I don’t really see how the NDP are any less extreme than the greens? They both want to end the oil and gas industry in Canada and they both think the planet is going to die if we don’t. The NDP have moved very far left on this issue in the last decade/s

sure they move left in the campaign to stop bleeding votes to the greens (just as the liberals campaign left to stop bleeding votes to the ndp)...once the election is over they may be singing a different tune - there are a lot of union jobs tied to oil and gas

elections are about politics - not truth telling

• rjag likes this

#4870 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 08:52 PM

This will be the first Canadian federal election in which I will be voting. I'm interested in how people structure their decision-making when voting for the local candidate. I'm not talking about your political views, I'm happy with my reasonable understanding of the issues and where candidates stand. I'm not looking to unleash a Liberals vs. Conservatives argument or anything of that nature. I'm just talking about how people frame their personal decisions.

The Canadian system is obviously very different from the US system. The separate election for President and Congress in the US is the clearest distinction, but also the strong executive role of President and the unique position of the US on the international stage influences how some informed voters approach their decision.

For example, it is not uncommon for many people to vote for two different parties for Congress and President. (Some people even explicitly prefer that the Legislative and Executive branches be run by different parties for "balance" - setting aside how that has worked in the last 5-6 year).

Another example is that some will be more interested in voting for "character" and "personality" for President than on the issues alone. If a global crisis breaks out, it may well involve a situation that wasn't even considered a "campaign issue"; some voters therefore are more focused on whether they are voting for the "right kind of person" to handle an emerging and unforeseen crisis. This is a bigger issue when you are talking about the President of the US.

So I'm wondering if anyone wants to contrast that with their personal thought process when voting in the parliamentary system. Take this as a hypothetical example: suppose I think Singh is a far better potential leader than Trudeau; but I would rather vote for McDonald than Collins; and maybe I'm more aligned with the Liberal platform than the NDP platform. Again, I'm not interested in your opinions on the various parties and the various leaders, just the thinking behind how you resolve this type of conflicting factors.

you can't square a circle - make a chart instead , 7 columns for the parties, 3 rows - one each for leader, platform, candidate

rank them from 1 to 7 ( 1 sucks, 7 you like)- high score wins

anything else and you will just drive yourself mad

• Greg likes this

#4871 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,045 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 03:08 AM

He was greeted by a group of protesters, at one of his stops, decked out in blackface while holding up the old blackface photos of Trudeau that threw him into a storm of controversy.

The demonstrators also had signs reading, "We're Aladdin Too! Orillia Blackface Club Welcomes Trudeau."

https://www.tmz.com/...ign-reelection/

#4872 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,045 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 03:26 AM

While the Conservatives lead over the Liberals remains virtually unchanged from the previous week, 33 per cent to 29 per cent, the DART & Maru/Blue Voice Canada Poll reveals a slight shift in the voting intentions among Ontarians could tip the scales in favour of the Conservatives on election night.

The Tories lead the Liberals among Ontario voters, 36 per cent to 32 per cent, with the NDP third at 22 per cent. The Greens find themselves a distant fourth with just 8 per cent support.

https://edmonton.cit...ervatives-poll/

#4873 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 05:58 AM

So when is that Obama support kicking in?

#4874 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,045 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 06:03 AM

In the rest of Canada, it’s often a fight between the Liberals and Conservatives for about 65 per cent of the popular vote, with the Greens, NDP, Bloc Québécois and People’s Party of Canada competing for the remaining 35 per cent, he said.

On the Island, however, the dominant parties are the Greens and the NDP. “We define left, right and centre here somewhat differently, because the centre here is further left than might be said of the national average.”

Both Green Party Leader Elizabeth May and NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh held rallies and events from Nanaimo to Saanich on Friday.

Of the Island’s seven seats, the NDP currently have five and the Greens have two. “Think of how remarkable this is — in the seven ridings on the Island, most will be a two-party race between the NDP and the Greens,” Black said. “That doesn’t translate nationally at all.”

For the Greens, which are flourishing as climate change becomes a dominant election issue and they experience success in provincial races, this is the year to break through, Black said.

On the Island, the party could win up to three more seats, going from two MPs to potentially five, he said. “They won’t reach official party status of 12 seats, but even to get halfway there is a lot better than where they were last election, with Elizabeth May in this lonely corner of Canada just holding on.”

https://www.timescol...-ndp-1.23981849

those three seats are obviously victoria but what else?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 October 2019 - 06:05 AM.

#4875 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 06:39 AM

Here is a good visual on polling across Canada.

The regional filters are helpful

https://www.politico...ates-by-region/

#4876 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 06:49 AM

That’s disingenuous. Prior to May, Conservative Gary Lunn held on for a lengthy run in Saanich-Gulf (97-11) and Conservative Troy DeSouza ran a 50/50 race twice against star studded Keith Martin who was himself a Conservative (under Reform and Alliance) but turned Liberal after the party merged. He was MP for Esquimalt-JDF for 18 years!

Then we have David Anderson who, like Martin, was a star studded candidate and the Minister of Environment for the Liberals between 93 and 06.

So before we start believing what May is saying and the TC repeating, consider that it’s not said for nothing, it’s meant to turn voters from voting for their party to voting strategically for who they don’t want in power, NDP or Green, because they’ve been told the other parties don’t have a chance.

May is up against a relative heavyweight who wasn’t even contested in the municipal election last year for another term as Central Saanich mayor. As a Liberal, Ryan Windsor has a shot at garnering enough support to take it, and May knows it.

Meanwhile the Cons-Libs-NDP-Greens are in a four-way tie in Keith Martin’s long-time riding.

So our centre, as May says, is hardly so left-of-centre on the national stage. It’s just that we haven’t seen the sorts of figures emerge that could galvanize enough support for a Liberal or Conservative win, but it’s certainly possible.

Know it all.

#4877 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,045 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 06:59 AM

Here is a good visual on polling across Canada.

The regional filters are helpful

https://www.politico...ates-by-region/

yes those graphs are great.  quebec has a huge swing for the bloc. maybe that's enough to hold the liberals down and let the conservatives win with the rest of the country.

#4878 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:34 AM

Sask and Manitoba only have Libs and Cons on that polling graph. Are there no NDP or Greens campaigning there?

Know it all.

#4879 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 09:37 AM

Yeah outside of Victoria riding that's not accurate. In 2000 Saanich Sidney riding was like 50% right wing vote between alliance and PC. Cowichan Langford and Esquimalt Saanich get relatively normal % of conservative. North and mid island ridings have consistently gone conservative before 2015. Obviously greens are most popular here but that's because regional representation changes things and with the green party having become a Vancouver Island party with their leader here and that does appeal to some people

#4880 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 09:49 AM

He was greeted by a group of protesters, at one of his stops, decked out in blackface while holding up the old blackface photos of Trudeau that threw him into a storm of controversy.

The demonstrators also had signs reading, "We're Aladdin Too! Orillia Blackface Club Welcomes Trudeau."

https://www.tmz.com/...ign-reelection/

White people are protesting the offensiveness of blackface...by wearing blackface?

• shoeflack and Cats4Hire like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users