Victoria

• Please log in to reply
1678 replies to this topic

#81 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:28 AM

But just a few posts back you were saying that it's the developers overcharging for new homes and building excessive homes and therefore causing affordability issues.

Nope, never said any such thing.

Yes, except population (demand) has also increased. The way demand and supply interact is not really a theory, its just math. Econ 101 stuff.

Yep, and that is the sort of qualification needed to make a simple statement like, "The more housing built, of ANY price, the lower the average price in the overall market." actually have any meaning. English Composition 101 stuff.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#82 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:46 AM

Nope, never said any such thing.

I think you did:

However, here in the real Victoria, developers are not going to price housing units below what they think they can get are they? Why would a developer build a unit and sell it for $150-$175k when they could just as easily get $200k for the same property? From what I have observed of the Victoria market for the last 30 years they would rather let a property sit empty or be used a a parking lot for decades rather than build something they cannot get maximum profit from. A philosophy they call "capitalism" I believe.

Developers are not rushing to build houses that average families can afford but rather over-sized McMansions that they can sell for maximum profit.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#83 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:38 PM

Helps on CFAX right now.  Jessup said that Fortn will not appear on his program.  I guess that confirms that that last time did not sit well with him.

Two very, very young callers today to Helps.  That I never hear on CFAX.  I'm guessing we have some campaign workers at work on the phones here.  

• sebberry and John M. like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#84 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:55 PM

I think you did:

Mike...Mike...Mike. Why do you constantly insist on reading things into what I write?

I never said anything that would imply causation. Even the bit you quoted above does not in any way suggest that they are, "overcharging" nor that they are somehow causing, "affordability issues".

What I have been saying all along, and you somehow do not want to accept, is that they exist in the system and are just as much prisoners of a flawed model as any moderate-income buyer. To overcome some of these flaws in the system there must be intervention in the system from government or at the very least through non-profit organizations like Habitat for Humanity. And while I applaud and admire what H4H does, they and other charities cannot provide as much as we can through government initiatives.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#85 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:04 PM

Helps on CFAX right now.  Jessup said that Fortn will not appear on his program.  I guess that confirms that that last time did not sit well with him.

I know Ian had some hard questions for Fortin, but I don't remember the last show he was on.  Was it recent?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#86 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:34 PM

I know Ian had some hard questions for Fortin, but I don't remember the last show he was on.  Was it recent?

It was classic.  I linked the audio at the time, Jessup blind-sided him a bit with communications salaries questions.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#87 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 September 2014 - 04:56 PM

It was classic.  I linked the audio at the time, Jessup blind-sided him a bit with communications salaries questions.

I think I remember that now.

Must be nice to have a job where if you can't answer the hard questions you can just walk away from whomever is asking them.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#88 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:46 AM

I thought VV would like to read Lisa Helps blog on property taxes so we can get an idea of her plans if she is elected mayor.
http://www.lisahelps...perty_taxes_101
Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#89 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 02:05 PM

I thought VV would like to read Lisa Helps blog on property taxes so we can get an idea of her plans if she is elected mayor.
http://www.lisahelps...perty_taxes_101

Just out of interest, 29er Radio, and this isn't mean't to be an accusation, but are you in any way affiliated or associated with Lisa Helps or her campaign for mayor?

#90 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 02:28 PM

Thanks for the question John M. I am not associated with the campaign. We do a podcast together and I would consider her a friend. I asked her to join the podcast team because she is smart and I need someone to juxtapose against Gene Miller and myself. I
questioned if I should even share that link as I don't want to come off as overly biased, but it is hard to get the candidates to
actually say what they plan to do and I know VVer's are sponges for information.
  • John M. likes this
Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#91 Princess Chica

Princess Chica
  • 149 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:17 PM

Lisa Helps has a proven track record as being the ONLY one at city hall able to turn around / save one of the many delapidated or abandoned buildings owned by the natorious and uncooperative  land owner ROBIN KIMPTON.

With her leadership this city can work towords finally doing somthing about the many neglected and dangerous properties controlled by this land owner.

pic 1 ... the highly successfull Gladstone / Fernwood project that Lisa helped aquire from ROBIN KIMPTON saving a neighbourhood.

pic 2 ... the recent fire at abadonded 2321 Cook st. building owned by ROBIN KIMPTON underscores the on-going safety issues regarding

this type of neglected property.

pic 3 ... this property on Grant st. in Victoria currantly houses tenants who are deperate to get landlord ROBIN KIMPTON to repair the broken

furnace, as they have had no proper heating system for two years and now winter fast approaches once again with no heating system in

sight. illegaly added suites overload the electrical system in the building causing constant fire hazard,

while no proper garbage removal at the building causes many rats and racoons to infest this building terrorizing its tenants.

PS snow removal courtesy of the tenants and not the neglectfull landlord.

Attached Images

• By9WuKgIIAMvft5.png
  • victoria-firefighters-battle-an-apartment-building-fire-on-cook-street-on-thursday-jun-12-2014.jpg
  • snow pic 2.jpg

#92 osmich

osmich
  • 205 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:51 AM

Have you had the chance to meet Lisa yet? Or do you have friends or family who would like to meet her? You'll find her around Victoria at one of her many Coffee talks! 

Her amazing volunteer team made her a "Where's Lisa?" page on the website: http://www.lisahelps....ca/wheres_lisa. Please share it widely if you can. 

Coffee with Lisa:
Oct. 14: Cook St. Village
Oct. 18: Fernwood
Oct. 20: James Bay
Oct. 22: Yates St.
Oct. 25: Vic West
Oct. 27: Downtown
Oct. 28: Hillside

Debates are coming up too!!

• RethinkUrban likes this

#93 osmich

osmich
  • 205 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 05:05 AM

And so the old style political machine has cast the first dark shadow over the campaign to be mayor with Ida Chong posting an out-of-context 14 second clip from an original two-minute video on her FB page of which Lisa Helps and others replied. 

Ida Chong Facebook Page

#94 osmich

osmich
  • 205 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:44 PM

Stay up to date with Lisa Helps by "liking" her Facebook Page.

#95 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:53 PM

I see on her page that she is also in good with Rob Reid the rubber shoe salesman.

#96 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:54 PM

Except he wasnt giving a thumbs up like he did with freeloader Chong.

#97 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:19 PM

Haven't seen any mayoral signs except for Helps. I think some candidates may be holding off until Halloween.

I see on her page that she is also in good with Rob Reid the rubber shoe salesman.

Not a Rob Reid fan I take it.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#98 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:21 AM

As a human no problem as a businessman no problem as a political figure'''''not a fan

#99 Princess Chica

Princess Chica
  • 149 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 23 October 2014 - 04:51 PM

As far as i can see Helps is the only strong candidate that has no strong party affiliations

#100 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:08 AM

As far as i can see Helps is the only strong candidate that has no strong party affiliations

Stephen Andrew is not a member of any political party. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users