Photo

Ben Isitt | Victoria | Councillor (incumbent)

Victoria

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#41 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:56 AM

I don't want to put words into Ben's mouth, but from discussing housing and urban issues with people of his stripe I find they honestly don't know what they're talking about and seem to just wish the human population would go away.  Suburbs are bad of course for legit reasons, we can agree on those points.  But dense cities are bad too because they are "artificial" and "dehumanizing" and "dependant on vast supply chains".  The ideal way to house humans seems to be in low-medium density villages that are mostly self-sufficient (grow their own food, create their own crafts).  They still want tiny footprints and no sprawl though, so they basically just want everyone living in little eco farming towns of 10-20k people.  Or just have a few million people total on earth all living in little "earth ship" cabins because agriculture and society are evil and unnatural constructs.

That or they don't even think that far.  Suburbs are bad because sprawl.  Cities are bad because concrete.  They don't actually have a solution, they just know everything is bad and unnatural. 

But once again I don't want to put words in his mouth.  I'd be interested what his exact vision for a city, specially THIS city, would be.  Specifics, not buzzwords.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#42 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:26 AM

His vision for Victoria is to change its name.

Luckily councillor Isitt has grand aspirations and will eventually move on to provincial politics where he'll have little to no impact on the lives of British Columbians.

@rjag, all it takes is a public hearing or two to form an opinion of the councillor's take on housing. And the rest you can watch on YouTube to see the councillor protesting against Bear Mountain and whatnot.

@Holden, that's tongue in cheek of course, but Isitt seems to love just about everything about "Rodina."

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#43 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:02 AM

Perhaps Mr Isitt himself who I'm sure reads all these posts could counter the comments noted above?

If I was his adviser I would tell him not to engage here at this time.

I don't want to put words into Ben's mouth,

Why not? Everyone else seems to be doing it. Erecting giant communist-bloc/soviet-style straw men to abuse. Why would Isitt want to engage here?

Anyway, as for voting: yeah, I voted for him as a councillor to add some much-needed change to the council. Will I be voting for him in November, not bloody likely thanks to his radical nonsense and dumb voting record.

Of course I am likely not voting for any incumbents this year as they have all shown appalling lack of judgement which means I may abstain from the mayoral race as both candidates currently serve on council and neither has shown any real leadership or good sense.

• Holden West, Nparker, rjag and 1 other like this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#44 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:11 AM

Heaven forbid a politician engage individuals without having to hide behind advisors and spin doctors.

I call it like I see it. Nobody is putting words in his mouth and you'd know that if you attended council sessions and followed the councillors activities around the region. Of course the councillor doesn't mind putting words in our mouths when it comes to things like speed limits, but that's ok, it's all part of the politbureau guide book to being a politician.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#45 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:29 AM

I don't want to put words into Ben's mouth, but from discussing housing and urban issues with people of his stripe I find they honestly don't know what they're talking about and seem to just wish the human population would go away.  Suburbs are bad of course for legit reasons, we can agree on those points.  But dense cities are bad too because they are "artificial" and "dehumanizing" and "dependant on vast supply chains".  The ideal way to house humans seems to be in low-medium density villages that are mostly self-sufficient (grow their own food, create their own crafts).  They still want tiny footprints and no sprawl though, so they basically just want everyone living in little eco farming towns of 10-20k people.  Or just have a few million people total on earth all living in little "earth ship" cabins because agriculture and society are evil and unnatural constructs.

That or they don't even think that far.  Suburbs are bad because sprawl.  Cities are bad because concrete.  They don't actually have a solution, they just know everything is bad and unnatural. 

But once again I don't want to put words in his mouth.  I'd be interested what his exact vision for a city, specially THIS city, would be.  Specifics, not buzzwords.

Baro - Otherwise known as the Garden City Movement, check it out:

http://en.wikipedia....n_city_movement

Alas, people like Ben don't understand this is a meagre utopian idea to explain an interesting concept, not a rendering for reality. 

Attached Images

• garden_city_movement_rurisville1328648270392.jpg

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#46 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:39 PM

Baro - Otherwise known as the Garden City Movement, check it out:

http://en.wikipedia....n_city_movement

Alas, people like Ben don't understand this is a meagre utopian idea to explain an interesting concept, not a rendering for reality. 

4 people per acre eh? Wowza

#47 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:25 PM

Is there someone on this forum that voted for Ben Isitt? Or will vote for Isitt? Please step forward so I can understand. Surely to God someone on here voted for him?

Perhaps Mr Isitt himself who I'm sure reads all these posts could counter the comments noted above?

Wasn't he on here last election? So far the only candidates I've seen on here this time around are Loveday and Andrew Reeve

#48 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 October 2014 - 09:13 PM

These are not necessarily reflective of my opinions, but worth a read anyway:

Report card time for local politicians

http://www.saanichne.../276849911.html

• John M. likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#49 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 09:31 PM

These are not necessarily reflective of my opinions, but worth a read anyway:

Report card time for local politicians

http://www.saanichne.../276849911.html

Isitt wrote a scathing response to that, but I can't find a digital copy to post. 

#50 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 09:47 PM

4 people per acre eh? Wowza

Keep in mind it was written by Sir Ebenezer Howard in the late 1800s - they had a totally different percept of space and place. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#51 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 08:07 AM

Fletcher forgot the renaming of Victoria, Mt Pkols, the sale of the Pt Hope lands and Isitt's biggest accomplishment, pushing for lower speed limits despite no reason to do so.
  • Nparker, sebberry, jonny and 2 others like this

Know it all.

#52 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,594 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 09:26 AM

Isitt wrote a scathing response to that, but I can't find a digital copy to post. 

Perhaps a bit too acerbic but philosophically I agree with much of that article. I mean really...you are holding up drug, corruption and crime-laden Venezuela - of all places on earth - as an example of how to do anything? And yes it does seem as if Mr. Isitt spends an inordinate amount of time at virtually any place there is a protest - as well as a guarantee - naturally - of a media sound bit. He may have ridden the rails extensively in Russia pursuant to gaining a fuller understanding of his fist love, communism, but its a cinch he has never been to Caracas.....

• Nparker and John M. like this

#53 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:17 AM

Don't forget he wants to amalgamate with Oak Bay in order to tap into the wealth of the Uplands to support his social programs

#54 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:30 PM

gaining a fuller understanding of his fist love

Oh my, how did you know that?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#55 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,594 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 04:26 PM

Oh my, how did you know that?

Damn.....proof yet again one must always read and re-read any comment before posting on a public forum. OTOH if my comment is in any way actually accurate re: the "loves" of Mr. Isitt I most assuredly don't want to know.....!

#56 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 04:48 PM

Mr Isitt still hasn't mastered the delicate balance between philosophy and pragmatism.

#57 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 12 October 2014 - 10:40 AM

Mr Isitt posted the following on his Facebook page on Saturday

Warning: Keep off Gyro Beach today (because the Uplands, one of the most affluent neighbourhoods in the region and country, has the most deficient storm-water and waste-water system, with no separate pipes, meaning that raw sewage spews into the ocean and onto beaches after a heavy rain). It's time for action by all levels of government to keep the untreated "effluent of the affluent" off our beaches.

Using his position does that mean that residents of Rockland don't have to support realignment of Bay St at Catherine? Or that less affluent neighbourhoods are on their own if a flood hits?

Whatever happened to all residents of a Municipality paying their fair share based on the Mill Rate-Assessments? Is he implying there should be double standards?

#58 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 10:45 AM

What about effluent of dogs of the not-so-affluent left behind on downtown streets every day? That's not a problem?

Know it all.

#59 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 08:02 AM

Isitt is not listening to his constituents on an important issue!

http://www.vicnews.c.../279049921.html
  • sebberry, Jill and David Bratzer like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#60 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 08:22 AM

Did not know Goya de la Rosa was a chemtrail believer! Interesting!

• Jill likes this
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users