Building tall in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
234 replies to this topic

#21 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:55 AM

But isuppose you mean from Douglas street its the James Bay wall all the nimbys hide behind it
  • jonny likes this

#22 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:00 AM

The most logical area to me for significantly greater density would be (more-or-less) the Harris Green boundaries, with additions of parts of south and west North Park. All surface parking lots west of Cook Street and south of Hillside are terribly underutilized as is and would benefit from development IMO.

I would fill the "valley" that is Douglas St and Government between the Hudson and Rock Bay. Does that area even have a name or does "Rock Bay" include the area bounded by Blanshard, Bay, Government and Herald St?

Anyway, that whole strip of land is, IMO poorly developed and perfect for filling with tall buildings.

• Mr Cook Street likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:36 AM

Yup. It could be Victoria's crown jewel, built into whatever we want as what's there now is a dogs breakfast of nothingness.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:34 PM

When the Fanin Building gets torn down there will be more of the Wall of James Bay available for viewing from downtown for a few months

#25 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 07:58 AM

Good news is the Fannin will stay put.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#26 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 08:12 AM

That IS great news what did you hear about it?

#27 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 08:20 AM

I heard it from the architect who had been working on the previous design which was canceled when the new museum director (or whatever the name is) took over.

I'm pretty sure I heard him say it would stay but now that I think about it I'm not 100% certain.

Know it all.

#28 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 08:10 AM

http://dailyhive.com...a-center-surrey

Massive 50-storey education campus for international students planned for Surrey City Centre

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#29 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 05:28 PM

Surrey Central City/City Centre was earmarked years ago to be the new core for Surrey so no real surprise here. Back when I worked for them and Coast Capital IT moved into the original Central City tower with SFU there was an early days proposal for an adjacent 800-foot tower; the only reason it wasn't actually built was that it was directly in the flight path for aircraft landing at YVR.

#30 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 07:09 AM

Wow, the runways are some 22 kilometres away as the crow flies and that was still considered a hazard? Crazy.

• Dr. Barillas likes this

Know it all.

#31 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 10:49 AM

There was a very interesting proposal floated at the JBNA this week to convert Harbour Towers hotel to rental. I seem to have put the fact sheet in the recycling, so don't have the name of the architect, but it would have well over 200 units ranging from just under 300 sq ft, to 890 sq ft (the two storey two bedroom penthouse suites). They would use the current underground parking and a small lot to the west, with a parking ratio of .78:1.
The most interesting aspect is the treatment of the two storey addition to the west and conference rooms on the south. They plan to cut into it, forming an L shaped courtyard running from Quebec st and around the back of the tower. To the west and east of the tower would be a one and two storey building with apartments. The swimming pool and fitness room would be accessed from the courtyard. I think it's brilliant.

This is instigated by the high cost of rehabbing 1970's high rises. The owner hasn't made a final decision about whether to do this. The other options, presumably, would be, condos or hotel.
  • Mr Cook Street likes this
Pieta VanDyke

#32 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:49 AM

What happened to my post about Harbour Towers? Did it get moved?

Edited by Barra, 16 September 2016 - 11:50 AM.

Pieta VanDyke

#33 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:10 PM

What's going on with Harbour Towers? Are they going to proceed with the exterior work?

#34 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:14 PM

OK then, here is the short version. Presented to JBNA this week, a proposal to convert the whole thing to rental apartments.
Pieta VanDyke

#35 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:14 PM

Oops, sorry about that, Barra. I inadvertently must have hidden the post. It's back up now.

I'm working on more info regarding the project. The representative at the meeting was Omicron, and the owner is BC Investment Management Corp. They also own the Delta.

A few years ago Franc D'Ambrosio had created schematics relating to a possible restoration of the hotel, although that plan did not materialize.

Know it all.

#36 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:46 PM

Thank you once again for the heads-up, Barra. I've been able to come up with a little more info as per the post above, but we'll have to wait for more details to be released by Omicron.

Citified piece: http://victoria.citi...tal-apartments/

Know it all.

#37 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:57 PM

This would be a pretty big hit to the hotel room count in Victoria.

It's kind of ironic when you think about the concerns people have about condos/apartments being used strictly for Air BNB-type accommodation while at the same time places like the Queen Victoria and now possibly Harbour Towers become rental apartments.

#38 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 01:14 PM

Right. And for most of the last year Executive House was closed for renovations.

AirBnB actually appears to be providing a very necessary, very timely service considering the hundreds of hotel rooms that have disappeared over the last five years.

Admiral Inn will be replaced with a residential complex at some point, and Victoria Plaza Hotel has also closed (not that it was a hot spot for tourists, but still...).

Oh, and consider how much inventory we've lost with the redevelopment of multiple motels along Gorge Road, or conversions into rental apartments. That's taken hundreds of units off the market as well.

Know it all.

#39 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 01:26 PM

As much as Air BNB's are alleviating some of the strain on existing transient accommodations, I can't help but think downtown (ish) Victoria could support another decent sized mid-range price hotel, especially if Harbour Towers becomes rental.

#40 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 01:48 PM

Bayview has eyed a hotel for Roundhouse. I think that's where the next big move will be.

• DavidSchell likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users