Photo

Building tall in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
234 replies to this topic

#81 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:43 PM

Those buildings are going to ruin Yates Street. What next? A bunch of movie theatres? Neon signs?

• Nparker and Danma like this

#82 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,587 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:44 PM

....you two need to either get a room or, preferably, go outside into the sunshine and get some vitamin "D". Seriously dudes its a lovely day - get out there. I spent an hour walking then roller blading down at Ogden Point (admiring the mostly flat Victoria skyline) this morning, and just now did a 90 minute walk with the dog on the Gorge where you can see precisely none of those pesky tall buildings. Try it, you'll like it.....

#83 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:46 PM

I'm out in the sun right now. But not for long, because a tall building will go up soon and block it out.

• Mike K., Nparker, AllseeingEye and 1 other like this

#84 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:58 PM

....you two need to either get a room or, preferably, go outside into the sunshine and get some vitamin "D"...

I was out earlier. As a very fair-skinned person I try to avoid too much mid-day sun exposure. Fortunately, the perpetual, shadowy gloom that will envelop "Skyscrapertoria" in a few years should alleviate this issue for me. 

#85 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 02:06 PM

Tall depends on your point of view. I remember when the Landmark building in Sidney was built to a whopping 5 stories and everyone was up in arms as the previous height restriction was a maximum of 4 stories.

It ruined the waterfront and folks were verging on jumping from the rooftops.

#86 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 02:11 PM

....folks were verging on jumping from the rooftops.

Fortunately, since the furthest they would fall would be about 12 meters, they surely realized they might only be horribly maimed and not outright killed, so they abandoned their plans.

• AllseeingEye, johnk, grantpalin and 1 other like this

#87 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 03:06 PM

Also, if somebody really wants to rail against attractive new towers then historic and notoriously bland & height-restricted Ottawa would seem to be a perfect ground to do it. A lot of sharp new buildings have been going up there recently. Not sure why the writer would be reaching all the way across the country to make a fuss.

Why does the TC even publish letter like this?
  • Nparker likes this

#88 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:43 PM

Meanwhile, in Langford we're putting up 10 storey towers that will loom over Goldstream like the Eye of Sauron. Langford's local character, much like Victoria's, will be ruined by people actually attempting to live there.

#89 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 11:00 PM

Canyons! (again)
  • Nparker likes this

#90 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:55 AM

Kelowna is at it again. Seriously, if ever there was a place where the anti-highrise mission should be focused, Kelowna is it. Small city, no historic density, no tradition of having a built-up commercial core or a built-up residential core. But several tall highrise buildings are in the works nevertheless. And they're pretty sharp-looking highrises, too. They're making a terrible mistake and nobody seems to be warning them!

http://www.kelownada...4539a4b807.html

Edited by aastra, 24 August 2017 - 08:56 AM.

• Nparker, jonny and grantpalin like this

#91 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:20 AM

^ sarcasm, right?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#92 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:22 AM

^ sarcasm, right?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#93 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:29 AM

OMG! The ultimate building faux pas (besides being life-threateningly tall) - curves!  :eek: Won't somebody please think of the children!

#94 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:31 AM

^ sarcasm, right?

• Matt R. likes this

#95 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:44 AM

I just now read the comments under that article. The height limit for that particular site was originally 19 stories. From 19 -> 32 = a substantial variance, and 19 stories wasn't exactly short to begin with, especially for a city Kelowna's size. The situation seems frothy.*

*seeing as how the original variance was a jump from 19 -> 24, and yet the 24-story version never did come to fruition

Edited by aastra, 24 August 2017 - 09:47 AM.

#96 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:48 AM

^ sarcasm, right?

• Matt R. likes this

#97 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:28 AM

And here we are battling it out over 24/25 to 29.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#98 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:31 AM

Kelowna is at it again. Seriously, if ever there was a place where the anti-highrise mission should be focused, Kelowna is it. Small city, no historic density, no tradition of having a built-up commercial core or a built-up residential core. But several tall highrise buildings are in the works nevertheless. And they're pretty sharp-looking highrises, too. They're making a terrible mistake and nobody seems to be warning them!
http://www.kelownada...4539a4b807.html

"The tower will be capped with a "glowing beacon structure that will locate this downtown landmark on the night skyline," the company's release says."

Why are we being bested by Kelowna in the skyline game :(
  • jonny likes this

#99 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:34 AM

council.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#100 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:35 AM

"The tower will be capped with a "glowing beacon structure that will locate this downtown landmark on the night skyline," the company's release says." Why are we being bested by Kelowna in the skyline game :(

Because Victoria fears admitting it is a city and Kelowna embraces it.

• grantpalin likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users