The Songhees Neighbourhood in Vic West

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#61 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 05:24 PM

I don't think it's any secret that Songhees residents are not typically 25-year-old construction workers.  It's a retirement community.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#62 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 November 2016 - 05:27 PM

The major problem of the Songhees, is it went from an industrial wasteland to an urban wasteland. With so many landowners and developers there was no clear overall design. My understanding was it was entirely owned by the city but they sold parts of it to different land developers. Its too bad, that it ended up to what it is today.

Attached Images

• IMG_1294.JPG

Edited by UrbanRail, 20 November 2016 - 05:34 PM.

#63 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 November 2016 - 05:35 PM

I don't think it's any secret that Songhees residents are not typically 25-year-old construction workers.  It's a retirement community.

Which I am pretty sure wasn't the original intention of the development.

• Nparker likes this

#64 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,767 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 05:36 PM

It feels like a cemetery where everyone is not quite dead yet.

#65 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 November 2016 - 05:41 PM

It feels like a cemetery where everyone is not quite dead yet.

Kind of like  Ross Bay

Edited by UrbanRail, 20 November 2016 - 05:42 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#66 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,767 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 05:49 PM

Not one commercial or retail tenant west of the hotel and south of the railroad tracks. If it weren't for joggers and walkers passing through on Westsong Way, you might think the entire development was vacant.

• Bernard and tedward like this

#67 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,767 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 05:50 PM

Kind of like  Ross Bay

Only with less vitality.

• Bernard likes this

#68 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 06:05 PM

the new marina should put some life into the area.  supposed to have a restaurant and a coffee shop if I remember.

let's hope the residents don't complain and restrict the hours of oparation.

#69 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:46 AM

Developers followed the precise guidelines as outlined by the City. Nothing here was done without close scrutiny and support of the city.

The culprit here is the City of Victoria, not developers. They took prime real-estate and tried to turn it into a faux heritage-meets-the-bizarro-Jetsons-plus-Port Alberni-chic and we have what we have.
  • Nparker, Bernard, Bingo and 2 others like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#70 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 09:22 AM

Yes. The provincial government owned all the land and were talking about an "Expo lands" type of redevelopment, with a mix of residential, commercial, and marine activity. I believe Grace McCarthy was in charge. In the götterdämmerung of the Social Credit Party, they handed over the Songhees to the City of Victoria. Gretchen Brewin and her crew squeezed all of the vitality out of the original plan. Instead they kept approving condo after condo development. Any time there was a proposal for something other than pure residential, the NIMBYs came out in force to quash it. The new marina will be a big help, as will the Roundhouse if it ever gets going.

• Nparker and SusanJones like this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#71 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:22 AM

Any time there was a proposal for something other than pure residential, the NIMBYs came out in force to quash it.

Who were the NIMBYs?  It wasn't exactly in anyone's backyard at the time.  It's really too bad that such a prime location for a vibrant neighbourhood was developed in this way.

#72 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 November 2016 - 02:37 PM

Developers followed the precise guidelines as outlined by the City. Nothing here was done without close scrutiny and support of the city.

The culprit here is the City of Victoria, not developers. They took prime real-estate and tried to turn it into a faux heritage-meets-the-bizarro-Jetsons-plus-Port Alberni-chic and we have what we have.

Oh I am not saying its the developers fault, just observing that the City could have done better in taking a stronger stance in developing a more vibrant community.

• SusanJones likes this

#73 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 21 November 2016 - 02:50 PM

It is so dead in there - nice and neat and clean but dead.    Compare it to the Railyards area as the life that is on the streets there

• SusanJones likes this

#74 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 05:29 PM

Raklyards is pretty dead, too. It helps having the longest cycling route in British Columbia running through their community, though, but as a community it's not exactly gushing with activity courtesy of the residents.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#75 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:30 PM

It would seem that a lot of these projects are either just residential (with some commercial) or without and projects that are just commercial with some residential like say Uptown.

#76 SusanJones

SusanJones
  • 249 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 06:44 AM

On the water yet the life sucked out of it.  I wonder how the residents feel? 

#77 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 07:42 AM

Railyards is pretty dead, too. It helps having the longest cycling route in British Columbia running through their community, though, but as a community it's not exactly gushing with activity courtesy of the residents.

I think that in 20 years the Railyards will look like the slums.

#78 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:03 AM

Or the living heart of a vibrant community. Some commercial activity is what that area needs.

• AllseeingEye, thundergun and SusanJones like this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#79 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:29 AM

It will if they do not keep up a decent contingency to properly maintain the exteriors.  But that rarely happens.  Multi-family just seems to get uglier as time goes on.

For example:

ID165352351.jpg

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#80 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,767 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 12:02 PM

Other than that "Circus-Circus" inspired awning, is the Savoy really that ugly?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users