Photo

Rocket Richard Bridge?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:48 PM

Good grief, they want to name the replacement bridge in Montreal after Maurice Richard.

I know he was a star back in the day when we only had two Canadian Teams, but was he really that good and how would he stack up in todays league?

If they want to name the bridge after a hockey player, my vote would be for Canadian great Gordie Howe born in Floral, Saskatchewan, but it's a bit far away from Montreal eh?

The new bridge that will connect Montreal to the South Shore and replace the aging Champlain Bridge that is not even built yet, but it’s already stirring up controversy.

The original bridge was named after French explorer Samuel de Champlain.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...2821789?cmp=rss

#2 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,501 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:32 PM

I think it was more than his hockey. Didn't he do a bunch for French English relations? In that he was a French guy that was a national hero and all?

#3 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:44 AM

So why was the old Champlain Bridge, which is in Montreal, paid for in full by the federal government and why is the replacement bridge being paid for in full by the feds?

Why don't we get any federal government handout bridges out here?

• Nparker likes this

#4 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,501 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:38 AM

Ummmm because we are a 350,000 person city that is only 75,000 on the books... Wasn't someone wondering about the benefits of AM before? Here is a big one...

#5 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:48 AM

Please .... The bridge is not of any benefit to someone in the outlying muinicipalities dont try to bring another 275 people into the equation It doesnt benefit anyone on the Penisula or in Langford. The Federal Government knows this  and they are not wasting money. the bridge has no benefit to federal infastructure. Most people who work on the base come in from the western commuinities not from downtown.

It only benefits downtown folk

Edited by HB, 04 November 2014 - 09:49 AM.

#6 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:51 AM

Ummmm because we are a 350,000 person city that is only 75,000 on the books... Wasn't someone wondering about the benefits of AM before? Here is a big one...

I wasn't really referring to Victoria. There are all kinds of bridges in the LM that the province has paid for or is planning to pay for (Massey Tunnel Replacement). I haven't heard of a federally owned bridge in BC.

#7 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:53 AM

What about the Port Mann its on the TCH and part of National Highway is it Federally Owned

#8 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:55 AM

and the BC Ferries should be completely federally funded then too...!

#9 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:55 AM

At least the major routes anyways

#10 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:59 AM

The only BCF route that should be fully fuinded then is teh Departure to Horseshoe Bay its on TCH Highway which is Federal Highway

Highway 17 is Provincial

#11 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:59 AM

The new Port Mann was a public-private partnership and is a BC MOT bridge as far as I recall.

#12 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,501 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:54 AM

Really HB, no one drives across the JSB except downtown folk? At The very least ESQ has more than 275 people...

#13 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:06 AM

Its a downtown bridge used daily predominantly by downtown folk . Esq,Vic mainly.

#14 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:08 AM

It is a City Bridge it woudl have made more sense to rebuild the Bay St Bridge and widen it to 4 lanes. More outside people use the Bay St birdge than the JSB

• Bingo likes this

#15 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,501 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:14 AM

View royal too. Just go by the busses if anything. So that's at least two other cities that will use the JSB but won't be paying for it

#16 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:20 AM

Ok then I see where you are leading this debate.

Victorians shop at Costco In Langford in droves every single day that Costco is open.

The Millstrean overpass will need some major work to bring it up tpo date with current and forecast traffic volumes.

It will be very expensive .

Langford should send a bill to the City of Victoria for their fair share of the cost.

You are Ok with that ...Right?

#17 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,501 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:28 AM

See, same issue. I guess you are closer to seeing the point...

#18 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:33 AM

No not even close ...nice try though..... the difference is Langford doesnt give a hoot about who comes to Langford and from where as long as they spend money within the community.

Langford would never entertain the notion of asking for rmoney from another community.

The complainers in Victoria who whine about others using a bridge and not contibuting funds are not using their brains and are seeing through fogged glass

The people who come into downtown on teh bridge or any other bridge are bring in dollars that are spent within in Victoria and helping to run the local economy and support businesses and the city.

Charging money from outsiders of the city is like biting off the hand that is feeding you.

Edited by HB, 04 November 2014 - 11:34 AM.

#19 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,501 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:52 AM

I see you live in Langford.

#20 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 12:09 PM

Wrong.....again

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users