Photo

Should Government Street become a pedestrian boulevard?

Government st Poll Pedestrian new urbanism Government street pedestrian mall

• Please log in to reply
1201 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Government street become a pedestrian boulevard (132 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Government street become a pedestrian boulevard from Yates street to Humbolt street (Allowing restricted single lane traffic)?

1. Yes (86 votes [65.15%])

Percentage of vote: 65.15%

2. No (33 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Depends (13 votes [9.85%])

Percentage of vote: 9.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#401 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 10:13 PM

Yes to Warf, no to Wark and no to Wharf.

Yes to Worf? 

Worf.jpg

• Matt R., dasmo and On the Level like this

#402 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 10:55 PM

Not sure what the benefit of having cars go through there is when there's no stopping or parking areas.

#403 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:13 PM

Not sure what the benefit of having cars go through there is when there's no stopping or parking areas.

To drive up the road without stopping or parking.

• sebberry and nagel like this

#404 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:15 PM

Yes to Worf?
Worf.jpg

He he... I visualize a small dog. Warf Warf... Warf Warf Warf.... Warf Warf....
  • Nparker likes this

#405 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:18 PM

I'm actually OK with changing Government to be a no car area, but only if it was part of a larger project.  There would need to be some cohesion with Bastion Square.  Without enough effort and change, there would be risk that it would just turn into another "hangout" like Centennial. 

#406 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:40 PM

I'm actually OK with changing Government to be a no car area, but only if it was part of a larger project.  

Unless you're going to turn Government into purely a pedestrian area with pedestrian friendly features (fountains, seating, play areas, whatever...) it'll just end up being an empty road with a couple of retractable bollards at each end so the delivery trucks can get through at 6AM. 

• Nparker and On the Level like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#407 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 02:07 PM

It would have been car-free 25 yrs ago in Europe. Its our prettiest d/t street, nice character buildings with a lovely opening out to the IH. Its not an artery by any means and people can't shop or buy a drink from inside their cars. Apart from deliveries why isn't it pedestrianized? is really the question.
  • zoomer, Nparker, Greg and 1 other like this

#408 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 07:04 AM

Pacific Treking building for sale:

https://www.realtor....Columbia-V8W1Y9

PRICE REDUCED! Fantastic freestanding building on Government Street. Nearby neighbours are The Gap, Starbucks, Eddie Bauer, MEC and others. Vacant possession. Built mid 1980's of concrete and steel and in excellent condition. Not Heritage.

$3.6M

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#409 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 10:29 AM

“Government Street is by some arguments the most successful street in the downtown. Rather than taking the best street we have and changing it we should figure out how we can make other streets more like Government Street,” Young said.
from Times-Colonist

It's funny because there shouldn't be any mystery here. The changes that turned Government Street from what it was to what it is now are very recent. We're not talking about ancient history. If you want to do the same thing to other streets then the process should be straightforward. Do the same thing to other streets. 

https://archives.vic...k-looking-north

https://archives.vic...k-looking-south

https://search-bcarc...street-victoria

Victorians just seem to love overlooking the bigger picture while they spend time, money, and angst on re-working and re-conceptualizing the same few things: Government Street, Centennial Square...

Edited by aastra, 07 February 2019 - 03:08 PM.

#410 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 10:39 AM

government is the most successful street in town because almost all tourists want to go to the empress legislature tourism centre harbour and museum and governmentst.is the way to "downtown" for them on foot.  somebody screwed up wharf re drawing pedestrians that way though.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 February 2019 - 10:39 AM.

#411 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 07 February 2019 - 10:43 AM

government is the most successful street in town because almost all tourists want to go to the empress legislature tourism centre harbour and museum and governmentst.is the way to "downtown" for them on foot.  somebody screwed up wharf re drawing pedestrians that way though.

Wharf has a sea of parking lots on one side and ground floor offices on the other. There's no engagement with the street until you hit Bastion Square.

• Nparker, grantpalin, Brantastic and 1 other like this

#412 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 12:38 PM

I think a car ban on Government could work well if adequate furnishings, kiosks, plantings, etc. were employed to fill the space between the sidewalks. But I agree with Young's point of simply taking the model that works and extending it to other streets. I think if anything, the existing Government streetscape should be extended past Yates to Chinatown (though perhaps different tree plantings and furnishings past Pandora). Potentially further if northern Government Street were to morph into some sort of trendy post-industrial brewery district, which I could see it becoming one day. 

#413 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 01:47 PM

Except the other streets actually do move the traffic so why not simply expand on this success rather than f*ck with other areas. You know, BUILD on the success.....  Making Douglas a pedestrian street? Idiotic. Warf? Maybe but first build something there so people will want to walk warf.... Otherwise leave it for the traffic reroute around the pedestrian boulevard that should be Government. 

• tedward likes this

#414 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 04:16 PM

If there is a real desire to make Government Street pedestrian, then the road has to be filled in. The whole street should have a consistent brick surface. When the trucks need to make deliveries in the morning, they just drive over the bricks. At a certain time, say 10:00 a.m., the bollards are raised and no mechanized transport is allowed.

• Nparker, MarkoJ, dasmo and 1 other like this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#415 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 February 2019 - 10:08 PM

I spend quite a bit of time in Zagreb since I own a condo there and I love the pedestrian free zones. I take the tram to the car free main square and then there are hundreds of restaurants/bars/coffee shops I meet up with friends at. Such an awesome atmosphere with packed places and people walking by. 

nightlife8.jpg

• Mike K., Matt R., Hotel Mike and 1 other like this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#416 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 11:07 PM

Just think how much money the city could make renting patio space....

#417 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 08 February 2019 - 08:09 AM

I spend quite a bit of time in Zagreb since I own a condo there and I love the pedestrian free zones.

You mean roads?

#418 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 08:44 AM

I spend quite a bit of time in Zagreb since I own a condo there and I love the pedestrian free zones. 

Lots of million plus population cities in Europe and elsewhere have plazas which were once streets and have now been repurposed as pedestrian thoroughfares. I think that the rationale is a little different than that being proposed by council though and the 5 people who use Government street between October and April may not be sufficient to support a full redevelopment from tacky tourist shops to high end retailers.

In my opinion it is inevitable that Government street will soon be closed to traffic under this current council. The scramble crosswalk is the first step in making travel so cumbersome for vehicles that it naturally starts to migrate elsewhere.

• Nparker likes this

#419 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 09:39 AM

...the 5 people who use Government street between October and April may not be sufficient to support a full redevelopment from tacky tourist shops to high end retailers...

This is a big part of the equation that our local council does not seem to grasp: we simply don't have the necessary population to make Government Street a viable year-round pedestrian only thoroughfare.

#420 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 February 2019 - 09:40 AM

Victoria isn't in Europe, and trying to turn a small North American city into a European city is not only a waste of time and money ... it's generally undertaken using a "Disneyland" methodology simply because the express purpose is to "imitate", rather than to have something organically develop based on the geographical "place" and the general culture of the city and its residents.

Victoria doesn't do a lot of outdoor cafe space for one very basic reason - which is that the weather here sucks for 9 or 10 months of the year (at least for the purpose of sitting outdoors and eating a meal, or drinking a beverage). As a result of that weather situation, Victoria has developed its own unique character.

Government Street works well for what it is, which is a hard core tourist drag (like Clifton Hill in Niagara Falls), so what's the point of turning more "real" streets into more Government Streets?

It's not like Government Street has foot traffic so densely packed that you're shoulder to shoulder with other pedestrians as you walk about (like Midtown Manhattan).

Indeed, 90% of the time (or whenever there isn't a cruise ship in port), Government Street is basically empty.

Tourist trinket shops, t-shirt outlets and candy bar stores don't make a downtown, and Government Street most definitely isn't something to be emulated on other streets in Victoria.

Edited by Cassidy, 08 February 2019 - 09:42 AM.

• Nparker and spanky123 like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users