Photo

Should Government Street become a pedestrian boulevard?

Government st Poll Pedestrian new urbanism Government street pedestrian mall

• Please log in to reply
1201 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Government street become a pedestrian boulevard (132 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Government street become a pedestrian boulevard from Yates street to Humbolt street (Allowing restricted single lane traffic)?

1. Yes (86 votes [65.15%])

Percentage of vote: 65.15%

2. No (33 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Depends (13 votes [9.85%])

Percentage of vote: 9.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:21 PM

I bet there are cars parked just to the right.

Context is everything: http://goo.gl/maps/lFNPU

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#42 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:24 PM

Sure is busy when it is closed off like during the busking festival, or the chalk art festival....

Because those events draw many people down.  Simply closing the road won't make it like that year-round.

Look, let's give it a year or so to see how the lower speed limits bring more pedestrians downtown like we've been promised.  Can we at least see if that is a success first? 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#43 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,336 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:00 PM

Because those events draw many people down.  Simply closing the road won't make it like that year-round.

Look, let's give it a year or so to see how the lower speed limits bring more pedestrians downtown like we've been promised.  Can we at least see if that is a success first? 

Seriously? Did the speed limit even change on Government? ...

#44 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:32 PM

so we would rather this continues? 

UBIZWx6.jpgUYArRHa.jpg60YsQSY.jpgk2omAsr.jpgMmhlqpf.jpg6Pjxx3P.jpg

#45 vicernie

vicernie
  • 185 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:32 PM

has anyone asked the stores whether they think making a mall would improve their business?  would mayor Lisa approve of a study?

drop the rents and you will have tenants.

Edited by vicernie, 26 January 2015 - 03:34 PM.

• Baro likes this

#46 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:39 PM

If you park at any of the parades you will have less far to walk than parking at Costco and walking to the meat department....

• Dimitrios and Mr Cook Street like this

#47 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:43 PM

If you park at any of the parades you will have less far to walk than parking at Costco and walking to the meat department....

But when I park at Costco and walk to the meat department, I don't have to walk through clouds of cigarette smoke, past aggressive panhandlers, put up with seagull crap all over the place, put up with seagull crap smell, put up with urine smells in parkade stairwells, watch crackheads shooting up in the open, worry about my car getting broken into...

Oh but let's attack the big, bad automobile. 

#48 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:57 PM

But when I park at Costco and walk to the meat department, I don't have to walk through clouds of cigarette smoke, past aggressive panhandlers, put up with seagull crap all over the place, put up with seagull crap smell, put up with urine smells in parkade stairwells, watch crackheads shooting up in the open, worry about my car getting broken into...

Way to blow Victoria's issues way out of proportions. Sheesh. You'd think we were living in Dicken's England with street urchins picking your pockets, workhouses, and open sewage ditches. 

With all these massive issues you have to contend with downtown, I'd think you'd want a nice wide pedestrian mall so they could be easily sidestepped when necessary. 

• Baro, Nparker and Intercontinental like this

#49 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:09 PM

I don't mind the idea, but I don't think it would magically fix the ailments of the greater retail landscape, and wonder what such a change would mean to the cross streets like Fort and Broughton.

#50 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:22 PM

That's your parkade experience? How am I attacking the automobile? Can no one actually create a cohesive argument against doing this? 

#51 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:45 PM

I don't mind the idea, but I don't think it would magically fix the ailments of the greater retail landscape, and wonder what such a change would mean to the cross streets like Fort and Broughton.

A lot of time in urban planning people think they are looking at the whole
equation from successful projects and assume the same result may happen.
Most times there are so many moving parts to any urban revitalization that it is impossible to allocate success to any one aspect of the process.

Some people shop downtown, some people don't. I am a believer that you could answer every one of a "don't" persons on the surface problems and they
still wouldn't come/shop downtown. The best chance of changing that reality is to change the fundamentals of our decision making.

IF dasmo, you were suggesting that at one end of the calmed Govt St you
would plan for the downtown art gallery with adjoining kids museum and at
the other end a replacement for the McPherson, then perhaps the equation
might start to add up.
Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#52 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:49 PM

Is the presence of cars on Government Street the primary cause of the state of businesses there? 

#53 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 05:29 PM

Is the presence of cars on Government Street the primary cause of the state of businesses there?

With seven vacant store fronts the question shouldn't be "are we good enough?" But rather "can we be better?"

#54 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:34 PM

Way to blow Victoria's issues way out of proportions. Sheesh. You'd think we were living in Dicken's England with street urchins picking your pockets, workhouses, and open sewage ditches. 
With all these massive issues you have to contend with downtown, I'd think you'd want a nice wide pedestrian mall so they could be easily sidestepped when necessary.

Darles Chickens!

Dickens! Thus: Dickens' England..
  • Mr Cook Street likes this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#55 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:40 PM

With seven vacant store fronts the question shouldn't be "are we good enough?" But rather "can we be better?"

Let's identify the cause of the problem first and work on that.  Remember that for 6 months of the year our weather isn't particularly conducive to a comfortable outdoor shopping and dining experience, and whatever increase in business going car-free brings in the summer likely won't be enough to offset the high rents and other unpleasantries.

#56 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:43 PM

dasmo, on 26 Jan 2015 - 11:26 AM, said:

We have the density. That's like saying we don't have the density to build residential downtown.... Note, my proposal keeps a one lane access with hours open to vehicular traffic at hours appropriate for delivery, and possibly late night taxi. You pave the road the same as the sidewalk with a transition. You have bollards that drop into the ground during access hours (or for emergency access) 

What about the horse carriages etc.? 

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#57 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:59 PM

e6a723cc157bdb3e528e7de4db191c84.jpg

#58 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:20 PM

The Graben (Vienna) is an exclusive and pulsating shopping street in the heart of the inner city. The origin of this street dates back to the old Romans and it is surrounded by popular alleys, streets and places which stand for flair, elegant tradition and gourmet pleasures...

Graben-Wien.JPG

• dasmo likes this

#59 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:32 PM

Let's identify the cause of the problem first and work on that.

Indeed. I don't have a problem with the idea of closing the street but I do have a problem with this Victorian tendency to put the cart before the horse. We have this community wish list that includes things like bustling pedestrian streets, safe/clean/active public spaces, a destination public market, light rail, etc. and yet we fight increased density tooth and nail. Without the increased density, none of the other things will work. It's as if we want all of the benefits of increased density without any of the increased density. It's crazy.

• gumgum, Nparker, sebberry and 2 others like this

#60 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:35 PM

I see a lot of condos being built downtown. Who is fighting density?

Edited by dasmo, 26 January 2015 - 08:37 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users