Photo

Should Government Street become a pedestrian boulevard?

Government st Poll Pedestrian new urbanism Government street pedestrian mall

• Please log in to reply
1201 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Government street become a pedestrian boulevard (132 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Government street become a pedestrian boulevard from Yates street to Humbolt street (Allowing restricted single lane traffic)?

1. Yes (86 votes [65.15%])

Percentage of vote: 65.15%

2. No (33 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Depends (13 votes [9.85%])

Percentage of vote: 9.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#721 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 06:04 PM

it would be a deep canal.  well below sea level.

it can't be that hard to install some type of a lock system.  even throw in a loch system for extra scenery.  plus the sheer size of the pumps required just to keep ground water from seeping in would be a spectacular sight/site too.  charge $15 admission to tour them on a shore excursion.  or $175 to fly over them in a helicopter.  or build a pub on top of them.  use some type of ferrous metal pint glasses that are attracted by the magnets in the motors.  so it takes like 3x the effort to raise them.  like 3 G's.  pretend it's a natural gravity phenomenon unknown elsewhere in the world.  beats that preserved toe thing in the yukon.  i guess don't fly the helicopter too low/close you don't want to get caught up in that gravity.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 June 2020 - 06:17 PM.

#722 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 07:03 PM

I'm just enjoying the flowers and hanging baskets on Government.  It's at least comforting to know we have something from 1937 that lets us know that things are still functioning and we can get through this.

#723 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 06:41 AM

Well cars are still able to travel from Humboldt north to View. Only one block has been completely blocked off.

Vehicles have to turn at Fort, so there’s no shared usage.

What I meant was the street in Stuttgart the mayor was excited about had no such vehicle restriction. Ours does, along arguably the highest profile block along that street.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#724 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 08:54 AM

Vehicles have to turn at Fort, so there’s no shared usage.
What I meant was the street in Stuttgart the mayor was excited about had no such vehicle restriction. Ours does, along arguably the highest profile block along that street.

Right, meant to say Fort St. But that’s interesting, I thought that delivery vehicles were allowed early in the morning, but that was it. Did the restaurants just put out seating in the roadway, and the cars just decided to travel a different route?

#725 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 09:06 AM

You mean in Stuttgart? It’s a large pedestrian mall, like several kilometres long, it looks like, and via Google maps you can see vehicles parked throughout. With street view you can see they’re all delivery-like vehicles.

With the terrorist attacks Europe has seen I wouldn’t be surprised if there are automated bollards that can be used.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#726 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 09:26 AM

You mean in Stuttgart? It’s a large pedestrian mall, like several kilometres long, it looks like, and via Google maps you can see vehicles parked throughout. With street view you can see they’re all delivery-like vehicles.
With the terrorist attacks Europe has seen I wouldn’t be surprised if there are automated bollards that can be used.

Right, but wouldn’t bollards be a form of vehicle restrictions?

#727 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 09:34 AM

Yes, but I’m only hypothesizing. There appear to be no bollards or provisions for bollards in the images I’ve seen.

Know it all.

#728 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 04:19 PM

Based on what's happened to date, and the number of years the current Council has left in their mandate, I'd say it's probably time we all just bid adieu to Government Street as a street to be used by motor vehicles, and simply accepted that it's a pedestrian mall - now and always.

Oh well ... it was fun while it lasted.

Attached Images

• Government-Street-1940s.jpg

Edited by Spy Black, 20 June 2020 - 04:19 PM.

• Redd42 likes this

#729 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 04:27 PM

A pedestrian mall that is void of activity 6 months each year.
  • jsan likes this

#730 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 04:34 PM

So today is the Summer Solstice and a Saturday :)  Did anyone check to see if crowds of people were spilling out of the new Gov street pedestrian causeway?

• Nparker and jsan like this

#731 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 20 June 2020 - 06:21 PM

was down there this afternoon from 4pm to 5:30 at the axe throwing place at 910 Govt. Walked up and down Govt and there, some people out but I wouldnt say it was busy.

#732 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 07:29 PM

I was going to head that way this evening but rain....

#733 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 01:06 PM

...was down there this afternoon from 4pm to 5:30 at the axe throwing place at 910 Govt. Walked up and down Govt and there, some people out but I wouldnt say it was busy.

Then again, some people might suggest you have an axe to grind.

• rjag likes this

#734 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 01:07 PM

Just throwing that out there.

• rjag likes this

#735 m3m

m3m
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 11:41 AM

Spent most of the weekend on government street going to various restaurants and pubs for drinks. Every patio I went to was packed, even the new seating. Garrick's head and irish times had a great set up. It's looking really good. Live music, lively atmosphere. I wholeheartedly recommend it becoming permanent. 

• aastra, gstc84, jasmineshinga and 3 others like this

#736 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 11:48 AM

Spent most of the weekend on government street going to various restaurants and pubs for drinks. Every patio I went to was packed, even the new seating. Garrick's head and irish times had a great set up. It's looking really good. Live music, lively atmosphere. I wholeheartedly recommend it becoming permanent.

Agreed! It was the most ‘vibrant’ Victoria has felt in ages. I’ve always thought this should have been done years ago and everyone I know hopes it’s a permanent change too, at least from April-October or so each year!
  • m3m likes this

#737 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 01:17 PM

Let's see how packed it is on a rainy Tuesday in late November. That will be the real determination of success.
  • sebberry likes this

#738 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 01:20 PM

Let's see how packed it is on a rainy Tuesday in late November. That will be the real determination of success.

I think that the issue is that aside from a few of the Mayor's campaign donors, nobody who does business on the street was asked their thoughts. If it works for all of the retailers on Government and emergency vehicles and taxis can get through then my point of view isn't that important.

#739 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 01:28 PM

Spoiler alert - it probably won't be packed on a rainy Tuesday in November. But just because it won't attract crowds for four months of the year, we should lose out on huge improvements during eight months of the year? Sure, they could make it a seasonal thing, but if you had to choose year round closure versus year round open to cars - the benefits enjoyed by pedestrians with more room and vibrancy and giving business' more space outweigh the ability for car drivers to shave a couple minutes off their commute.

• Greg, gstc84, grantpalin and 2 others like this

#740 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 01:36 PM

What about the Christmas parade, should it happen this year? Can it squeeze through?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)