Traffic congestion in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
383 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:46 AM

I figured it would be a good idea to monitor levels of traffic congestion throughout the urban core of Victoria.

For anyone posting a map, please ensure to:

1) note the DATE

2) note the TIME

of the Google map.

Of note in the map below is the congestion on Douglas between Belleville and Discovery, or right through the downtown core, and again on Douglas between Topaz and Saanich road in both directions. I believe there's some road work happening along that stretch of Douglas.

Victoria-congestion-April-30-2015-11-35AM.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:09 AM

I figured it would be a good idea to monitor levels of traffic congestion throughout the urban core of Victoria.

For anyone posting a map, please ensure to:

1) note the DATE

2) note the TIME

of the Google map.

Of note in the map below is the congestion on Douglas between Belleville and Discovery, or right through the downtown core, and again on Douglas between Topaz and Saanich road in both directions. I believe there's some road work happening along that stretch of Douglas.

Victoria-congestion-April-30-2015-11-35AM.jpg

These are approximate values and I honestly wouldn't place much stock in them except maybe as aggregate.

• weirdie likes this

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:16 AM

Oh for sure, I don't think there's really anything quite as reliable as hardware on the roads to tell us what's going on, but Google's system is pretty darned good all things considered.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 03:40 PM

May 4, 2015 at 4:36PM.

Attached Images

• Victoria-congestion-May-4-2015-4-365PM.jpg

Know it all.

#5 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:17 AM

Ive been wondering if they changed the light cycle at Finlayson/Blanshard. Getting so bad there lately and I don't remember it being so bad in the past.

#6 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:08 AM

8:07AM, Tuesday, May 14

inbound_0807_May5_2014.JPG

429.jpg 346.jpg

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:11 AM

Ive been wondering if they changed the light cycle at Finlayson/Blanshard. Getting so bad there lately and I don't remember it being so bad in the past.

That's likely from traffic diverting off Douglas to avoid the bus lane construction.

Know it all.

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:57 AM

The discussion on the McKenzie interchange has been moved to http://vibrantvictor...erchange/page-9 :)

Know it all.

#9 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 11:20 AM

That's likely from traffic diverting off Douglas to avoid the bus lane construction.

Cook has also been closed so Finlayson has been packed most days. They may have changed the light timing there to accommodate all that extra traffic coming down Finlayson.

#10 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 02:18 PM

Cook has also been closed so Finlayson has been packed most days. They may have changed the light timing there to accommodate all that extra traffic coming down Finlayson.

Traffic in that area has been a mess for months with Cook Street closed between Quadra and Maplewood and now Hydro is doing work on Quadra and there is a sign up warning of pending sewer relining further down Blenkinsop, not to mention that addition of a new bike lane on Maplewood from Ocean View to Cook.

Drivers are trying to escape the work being done on bus lanes along Douglas.

I think they just need to turn the city into one big traffic circle and that will solve it all... :)

• Nparker and jonny like this

#11 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 02:21 PM

Traffic in that area has been a mess for months with Cook Street closed between Quadra and Maplewood and now Hydro is doing work on Quadra and there is a sign up warning of pending sewer relining further down Blenkinsop, not to mention that addition of a new bike lane on Maplewood from Ocean View to Cook.

Drivers are trying to escape the work being done on bus lanes along Douglas.

I think they just need to turn the city into one big traffic circle and that will solve it all... :)

Once every street has separated bike lanes and we whittle all 4 lane roads down to 2 lanes with 15km/h speed limits everything will be fine.

• Nparker and Daveyboy like this

#12 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 May 2015 - 02:23 PM

Once every street has separated bike lanes and we whittle all 4 lane roads down to 2 lanes with 15km/h speed limits everything will be fine.

The low speed limits will reduce vehicle traffic so we won't need all those lanes, don't cha know?

https://www.facebook...885123848195738

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 02:23 PM

Holy moly, driving around town has been a nightmare today. Speeds are at 30-35 as vehicles in single lanes of what were once two lane roads trudge along. This is all coming together as an epic waste of people's time and an epic waste of gas while vehicles pollute more.
  • Daveyboy likes this

Know it all.

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:16 PM

These are approximate values and I honestly wouldn't place much stock in them except maybe as aggregate.

I think we can put a lot more stock into Google's traffic stats than we originally thought:

Accident-and-Google-maps-data.jpg

• sebberry likes this

Know it all.

#15 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 May 2015 - 06:30 PM

Your email address is showing :P

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 06:37 PM

Subliminal advertising :)

Know it all.

#17 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,676 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 05:02 AM

Well since everyone's phone is a little traffic reporting device the results should be spot on!
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#18 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,171 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 07 May 2015 - 07:42 AM

Only if Google maps is running, I think? I don't leave it running as it chews up my battery unless I'm actually using the GPS on it.

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 08:00 AM

Google uses wireless signal data to triangulate your location whether or not your maps are running. Since wireless signals rarely, if ever, switch locations, tracking with them is spot-on. The Google Maps cars that buzz around collect that data from what I understand. Coupled with those who do have tracking enabled on their maps the results are pretty darned good.

Know it all.

#20 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 May 2015 - 08:04 AM

Hence why I don't have a Google and turn off traffic/location data collection.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users