Traffic congestion in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
383 replies to this topic

#21 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,676 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 08:52 AM

^You honestly believe Apple is not taking your/ using information from your phone?!? Or for that fact Blackberry?

Edited by sdwright.vic, 07 May 2015 - 03:24 PM.

• http likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#22 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 May 2015 - 04:23 PM

Crash at the Colwood exit from the TCH:

May 7, 5:20PM:

May7+520.JPG
346.jpg 347.jpg

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 04:18 PM

May 12, 5:17 PM.

Brutal. Approximately 2.2km of serious congestion on McKenzie westbound; 3.9km Douglas/TCH northbound.

Victoria-traffic-congestion-May-12-5-17PM-2015.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,676 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:18 PM

Traffic was BAD tonight.

#25 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:41 PM

Is anyone forced to deal with the Interurban/Wilkinson 5-way on a daily basis? I've noticed that's congestion central.
  • jonny and lanforod like this

#26 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,676 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 06:31 AM

Saanich Rd from Harriet to Tattersal is starting to become a major issue most of the day. Had to wait two lights at 5:30 last night add the light from Harriet to Saanich couldn't proceed because of traffic back up.

#27 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 06:54 AM

Is anyone forced to deal with the Interurban/Wilkinson 5-way on a daily basis? I've noticed that's congestion central.

Has been for  years Very few roads in the area, plus a long light equals congestion.

• jonny likes this

#28 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,172 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:14 AM

Simplest, and by far the cheapest fix is to close one of the roads (probably Hastings) to access to that intersection. That would allow the light timings to be much better and quicker.

Alternatively, that one would be a candidate for a traffic circle as every road into there is one lane. However, I don't know if there is enough room to put one large enough to distribute that much traffic effectively. Perhaps if they steal some farmland from the east side of that intersection and curve Wilkinson southbound a bit to meet a larger circle.

• Nparker likes this

#29 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:59 AM

That intersection is a horror show, even in light traffic that intersection can be a very very long wait.  Traffic circle or change it to a 4-way.  Or some how make the lights "smarter".  There's often long gaps of no one driving at all.  During any times where there's actual traffic in the area and it can be backed up all the way to Camosun.  If I see it's bad I'll just do a U turn and go down West Saanich to the Pat Bay.

Edited by Baro, 13 May 2015 - 09:01 AM.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#30 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 03:58 PM

Saanich Rd from Harriet to Tattersal is starting to become a major issue most of the day. Had to wait two lights at 5:30 last night add the light from Harriet to Saanich couldn't proceed because of traffic back up.

Everyone is trying to avoid everything, so they need go a different way...or stop and have dinner until things calm down as it might get worse.

#31 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 05:22 PM

Interurban was backed up southbound today at 4:15 from Wilkinson to the entrance of Camosun College.

#32 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,676 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 05:16 AM

There was a traffic jam inside of Uptown at 5:30 lay night. Looked like people where turning in at Saanich Rd, going up the incline to the level two parking and them turning left to get on the highway again. Backed up all the way to the security office.

#33 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 09:27 AM

There was a traffic jam inside of Uptown at 5:30 lay night. Looked like people where turning in at Saanich Rd, going up the incline to the level two parking and them turning left to get on the highway again. Backed up all the way to the security office.

Perhaps they were testing the design for the new interchange at McKenzie.
  • Nparker, http and sdwright.vic like this

#34 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:19 AM

This is why I avoid as best I can ever going north of Hillside, specially anywhere near rush hour.  Way too much traffic and a lot of stressful intersections.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#35 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 May 2015 - 04:09 PM

I bet getting out of town is fun today... 

IMG_20150515_165825.png

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#36 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 15 May 2015 - 04:53 PM

Coming in from Costco this pm around 2 and Northbound was backed up and stopped for quite some distance. Looks like from the traffic light at Goldstream past the Costco exit

#37 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 05:46 PM

It was backed up as far as Hillside through to the Malahat today. The estimated travel time between Saanich Rd and the Old Island turnoff was 1hr.
  • Gipper likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#38 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:24 PM

We drove into town about 6:40 this evening, and the traffic northbound was lined up back to Thetis Lake. Came home just after 8 and coming across the Millstream overpass it was still lined up as far as we could see. Must be an accident, yes?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#39 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:01 PM

Nope, no accident, just congestion. Lots of people heading up-island for the long weekend.

Know it all.

#40 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:04 AM

May 19, 2015. 11:53AM

Congestion-in-Victoria-May-19-2015-1153AM.jpg

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users