[James Bay] Shoal Point condo | 13-storeys | Built - completed in 2005

Condo Commercial Office

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#41 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 08:23 PM

Since I moved here I always thought Shoal Point was a terrific looking building. I had friends that lived there and I always enjoyed going and walking around the building.

I am glad the rest of u are on board as well.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#42 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 08:29 PM

IM IN UR NOOSPAPR

SLANDERIN UR ARKITEX

...Ewww... Is that him?

And he's criticizing Shoal Point for its looks? <shakes head in disbelief>
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#43 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 08:38 PM

Excuse my ad hominem attack on Mr. Boddy. I apologize. (I'm experiencing remorse already.) It was uncalled for since he cannot help how he looks. He could, however, do something about his hairstyle, his choice of sunglasses, and his article on Shoal Point. All three fall into the same category: flaky.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#44 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 01:47 PM

Man you had me laughing, Holden. Damn you and your grasp of the most stupid internet catchphrases. hahahaha I hope i'm not the only one who got it. There's other nerds here, I know it.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#45 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 02:00 PM

Nope
http://www.thinkgeek...ric/9505/:8848e

#46 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 12:03 AM

That's one of the most nerdy shirts I've ever seen.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#47 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:29 PM

I actually dislike shoal point, partially, I've got no quams with it's architechture, but the building should be at least 25 storeys tall, it has lost part of the charm it could have, and the neighbourhood is not experiencing the revital it could with more residents. I sure feel sorry for those poor JBNE members for the increased taxres they've received from continually opposing appropriate developments, and accepting lowrise crap, out of principal.

#48 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 12:58 PM

I hated Shoal Point on principal out of loyalty to the James Bay and Fisherman's Wharf I loved as a teenager. Then one day I was standing in front of it with a friend looking up, and she said "Imagine what a glorious ruin this will be!" As our imaginations broke down the glass, grew vines from the roof garden, and trees from the first floor, weathered the then-new gargoyles and mermaids and filled it full of post-apocalyptic wild squatter children, I fell in love. Now, I can't look on Shoal Point without smiling. Maybe the ADP can insert a new criteria into its reviews: Will it make a fine ruin? If not, sorry buddy, no go. We plan for the future here in Victoria.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#49 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 05:24 PM

Impressions of Shoal Point:

http://www.flickr.co...deavor/7748154/

#50 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:35 PM

Steampunk.

#51 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 09:04 PM

Steampunk is a good descriptor. I have some friends who think I'm addled because I like Shoal Point -- they act as though I said I like, oh, Bouguereau instead of Manet or something (that's like saying you like Baby Duck better than Barolo, for eg.) -- but until now it never occurred to me that the building's crazy incongruity has a style name. Or that I could blame childhood fantasies (or my kids' reading materials) for liking it (see Dinotopia books).

Well, take that, Trevor Boddy (according to critiques he has published, he hates Shoal Point). This building tweaks imagination, for better or for worse.

PS: I suppose that's really immature, and for purists another reason to hate this building more.

PPS: It's what the building's detractors would identify as kitsch. Gee... I like a kitsch building: that's (personally) depressing. Oh well. At least I still like Manet over Bouguereau...!

#52 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 11:47 AM

Oh wow, thanks for the Steampunk reference - I've been reading Girl Genius comic over the last few weeks - as well as enjoying Les Cites Obscure so Steampunk is right up my alley! I wonder if David Butterfield knows he built us a Steampunk icon?

#53 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 03:15 PM

This building tweaks imagination, for better or for worse.

That's exactly right. Great way of putting it. Methinks that's exactly why people who don't like it don't like it.

#54 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 03:37 PM

That's exactly right. Great way of putting it. Methinks that's exactly why people who don't like it don't like it.

I don't like it 'cuz it's a big hulking behemoth of a fatscraper sitting like some bloated toad on the waterfront...and the public is not able to circumnavigate the waterfront around it.

#55 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 03:39 PM

Are you talking about the Empress Hotel?

(Just kidding.)

Here's a site with some interesting info and pictures re: the decorative elements on the exterior of Shoal Point.

Mermaid Balcony Brackets: Shoal Point, Victoria, B.C.
one of 9,000 precast decorative elements created by ArtForm Sculpture Studio for this project

http://www.renaissan...ShoalPoint.html

http://www.renaissan...hoalPoint2.html

http://www.renaissan...hoalPoint3.html

#56 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:08 PM

I think I like this one best.

#57 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:12 PM

So Nparker, are you saying you'd like it if it wasn't a fatscraper? I'd probably like it even more if the format was a little different but everything else was the same as is.

#58 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:35 PM

So Nparker, are you saying you'd like it if it wasn't a fatscraper?

I am saying I'd like it a great deal more if it were taller, slimmer, glassier and the public had access all around the ground level-waterfront. I do however like its sculptural details. It's the overall massing and heaviness that mostly turns me off.

#59 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 06:27 PM

Do you remember what it looked like when the tower portion was standing by itself before the east section* was built? If so, what did you think of it at that time? And can you elaborate on the public access issue?

*Actually, I guess it was built in three phases, right? From west to middle to east.

#60 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 06:46 PM

Yes I do recall when it was pretty much just the west wing. A clear case of "less is more". But like Topsy* it just growed!

*http://www.phrases.o...ssages/286.html

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users