Victoria Pride parades and local LGBTQ+ news, issues

• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

#21 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 09:53 AM

Those parades are an entertainment spectacle where we can watch and laugh at them when they prance on by but it seems it's much more to them who cares what uvic says

This post just scream of how mych you care and feel... Proving that you not only like A, but are one as well!
  • Nparker likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#22 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:00 AM

This group has helpfully posted their meeting minutes online. This decision was made at a meeting that appeared to have five people present (four coordinators and one member) although some recent meetings have drawn as many as six participants.

Anyone can assemble a group; anyone can send out a press release.

#23 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:07 AM

The problem with being an activist is that when your issue finally becomes mainstream then there is nothing to fight about anymore. The groups then turn to infighting and wind up alienating the very people that they fought so hard to gain the support of.

• Rob Randall, Nparker and jonny like this

#24 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:13 AM

The problem with being an activist is that when your issue finally becomes mainstream then there is nothing to fight about anymore. The groups then turn to infighting and wind up alienating the very people that they fought so hard to gain the support of.

Exactly. Which is why the SJW movement will eventually eat itself. When you have to keep finding a new evil enemy to destroy you eventually alienate everyone

#25 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:30 AM

This group has helpfully posted their meeting minutes online. 

Yes, indeed.  Their semi-annual GM had 16 people, their AGM 15 (9 members, 6 coordinators).

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 01 July 2017 - 10:30 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#26 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:34 AM

Yes, indeed.  Their semi-annual GM had 16 people, their AGM 15 (9 members, 6 coordinators).

I am surprised that the UVIC board and chancellor support a group such as this which is spewing hatred and ignorance.

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker, rjag and 1 other like this

#27 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,719 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:41 AM

I am surprised that the UVIC board and chancellor support a group such as this which is spewing hatred and ignorance.

From time-to-time certain hatred & ignorance is in vogue.

#28 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:55 AM

Well, I'm all for nobody deciding what "hatred" or "ignorance" is, and granting or not granting funds etc. based on that.  Let others decide.  

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 01 July 2017 - 10:56 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#29 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 11:13 AM

If corporate support of Pride is now bad, does that mean corporations should abandon all efforts to reach out to the gay community?
  • Nparker, sebberry, jonny and 2 others like this

#30 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 11:15 AM

^Thank you.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#31 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 11:24 AM

If corporate support of Pride is now bad, does that mean corporations should abandon all efforts to reach out to the gay community?

Every person I have met who is "anti corporatist" has no idea what a corporation actually is.
  • Mike K., sebberry, Matt R. and 1 other like this

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 11:32 AM

Every person I have met who is "anti corporatist" has no idea what a corporation actually is.

I can believe that.    

#33 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 July 2017 - 11:37 AM

Better boycott that mom and pop coffee shop on the corner with "Say no to corporations" signs!

• Matt R. and jonny like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#34 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,719 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 11:57 AM

If I were to play devil's advocate, I suppose the concern is the reason behind corporate support of Pride (and any other so-called "social cause"). Do corporations (aka big business) genuinely want to make the world a more just and equitable place for all to live or do they see a potentially untapped customer base to exploit? Perhaps the former is a happy coincidence of the latter, but if the result is the same, does it really make a difference? I am pretty sure no one is being forced to take part in Pride festivities against their will - I certainly am not - and everyone is still free to vote their conscience with their wallet.

#35 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 12:29 PM

Well, I'm all for nobody deciding what "hatred" or "ignorance" is, and granting or not granting funds etc. based on that.  Let others decide.  

Hate speech is speech which attacks a person or group on the basis of attributes such as race, religion, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, or gender

I didn't make up the definition and just because it is an identified group that is the one targeting others doesn't give them privilege.

• Nparker and sdwright.vic like this

#36 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 01:07 PM

If I were to play devil's advocate, I suppose the concern is the reason behind corporate support of Pride (and any other so-called "social cause"). Do corporations (aka big business) genuinely want to make the world a more just and equitable place for all to live or do they see a potentially untapped customer base to exploit? Perhaps the former is a happy coincidence of the latter, but if the result is the same, does it really make a difference? I am pretty sure no one is being forced to take part in Pride festivities against their will - I certainly am not - and everyone is still free to vote their conscience with their wallet.

I'm sure they just see it as good business. Which is a step up from refusing to sell your goods and services to gays, blacks, or the Irish, so I'm OK with this.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#37 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:31 PM

Look, we all agree that non-white, gay folk have gotten the short end of the stick but I don't understand what this group wants us to do. Cancel Pride? Banish the rich whites at the back of the parade where they belong?

The small gay community used to be very tight back in the '80s and I remember when just openly walking around Government Street had a risk of getting beat up by gay bashers.

There were a lot of gay Victorians who never got to live to see the day when same-sex people could socialize without fear of being hassled or arrested by the cops. Now the amazing age of justice is here and it's devolved into an embarrassing finger-pointing shame game of "who's the better gay person".

Sorry for using the word gay, I don't have time to type 12,380 acronyms.
  • Nparker, tedward, jonny and 1 other like this

#38 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:35 PM

Because the UVic Students' Society and anything that falls beneath the UVSS umbrella has a certain level of autonomy from the university and, as such, it would take something a lot more severe than "not attending a parade because of reasons X, Y and Z" for anything punitive to occur.

Your view of it being "hatred and ignorance" is subjective and an opinion and it seems you're projecting that onto the university administration.

• tedward likes this
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#39 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,719 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:49 PM

...Now the amazing age of justice is here and it's devolved into an embarrassing finger-pointing shame game of "who's the better gay person"...

This.

#40 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,719 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:59 PM

...it would take something a lot more severe than "not attending a parade because of reasons X, Y and Z" for anything punitive to occur...

How would the UVic administration respond if instead of protesting the Pride parade because of "colonialism, racism, corporate capitalism, nationalism, banks, police, and bias towards white, able-bodied, neurotypical, middle-class/upper-class, and cisgender homosexual men" a campus group chose not to take part because of "bias towards Jews, Muslims, women, aboriginals and handicapped people". In my mind you don't end discrimination in one form by substituting another.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users