Photo

Victoria Pride parades and local LGBTQ+ news, issues

• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

#61 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 08:00 AM

I was around Munro's. I actually thought an extra little cheering and applause took place when the police went by.

• Nparker likes this

#62 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 10:02 AM

I was around Munro's. I actually thought an extra little cheering and applause took place when the police went by.

Makes sense when you consider that 95%+ of the people attending the parade are there for the show and are not involved with any of the activists groups.

• jonny likes this

#63 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 10:23 AM

Makes sense when you consider that 95%+ of the people attending the parade are there for the show and are not involved with any of the activists groups.

I think it goes a bit beyond the spectacle. Many of the parade viewers are there to show support for diversity and equality regardless of one's orientation.........Plus it's really colourful:)

• Greg likes this

#64 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:07 AM

Ok, we've all had our chance to vent and share some <ahem> interesting perspectives.  

Let's try to keep this thread positive, shall we?

Thanks.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#65 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:13 AM

Great Plan.

Here Ill start out by putting it back on Topic.

Queer Parents have event in Colwood this weekend

#66 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:57 AM

Victoria Pride Society has announced that only LGBTQ2 police officers will be allowed to wear uniforms.  Closeted and straight officers will not be allowed to wear uniforms in the parade.

Edited by David Bratzer, 07 July 2018 - 09:58 AM.

#67 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:59 AM

Celebrating inclusion and diversity through exclusion and discrimination?

• Rob Randall, Nparker and Matt R. like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#68 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 10:01 AM

Victoria Pride Society has announced that only LGBTQ2 police officers will be allowed to wear uniforms.  Closeted and straight officers will not be allowed to wear uniforms in the parade.

As someone who finds himself less-and-less in sync with this "community", just how do they plan to identify "closeted and straight officers"?

Edited by Nparker, 07 July 2018 - 04:19 PM.

• Bob Fugger and sdwright.vic like this

#69 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 07 July 2018 - 10:04 AM

As someone identifies less-and-less with this "community", just how do they plan to identify "closeted and straight officers"?

What's next, rainbow Stars of David to identify LGBTQ2 Jews?  FFS.

• Matt R. and Cassidy like this

#70 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 10:16 AM

Call me naive, but I always assumed the rainbow symbol was chosen specifically because it encompassed everyone - as in "all colours of the rainbow and every shade in between".

• tedward likes this

#71 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 July 2018 - 11:07 AM

They would have been far smarter to simply ban all authoritarian uniforms outright.
PRIDE wear only.

Definitely a major black eye on the organizers.
  • Nparker, spanky123 and sdwright.vic like this

#72 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 11:15 AM

They would have been far smarter to simply ban all authoritarian uniforms outright.
PRIDE wear only.

Definitely a major black eye on the organizers.

As I have said before, there reaches a time with many activists groups that they go mainstream and receive acceptance. Unfortunately many people then decide that they enjoyed the fight more than the progress and try to undermine their own group to force another battle.

• Cassidy likes this

#73 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 11:29 AM

yeah I wouldn't exactly call the VicPD a traditional morality enforcement arm and speculate that hasn't been the case for a while. you can't move past a history of marginalization and brutality if you refuse to forgive no matter how things have changed...

#74 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 11:34 AM

The oppressed become the oppressors.

Our household was one of a handful of volunteers who began the Victoria Pride parade's "modern era" of the last 25 years of David Tillson's presidency on the board. We paid for the beer garden on our credit card in the last year before that. We held a bottle drive the first year to make enough money for basic events. We acted as parade marshalls, raced to the beer garden to sling beer for the rest of the day, cleaned up afterwards, counted the cash and then appeared in the post parade drag show afterwards.

It was great milestone when the police started marching in the parade. Last year I was proud to see the huge turnout by all forces in the region. Contrary to other police forces in the country, ours have been very respectful and supportive of our community.

The first words from my partner were "This is bullshit, maybe we won't go this year".

Our thanks to all the officers who have been so supportive of our community all these years.

• Mike K., Rob Randall, Nparker and 5 others like this

#75 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 12:04 PM

We didn't go this year, and am pretty much done with any future years.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#76 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 03:45 PM

The oppressed become the oppressors.

"The oppressed become the oppressors"? Give your head a shake, laconic. Such a ridiculous comment. Not my business but if you are a member of the community I'd be embarrassed to share space with anyone that said that.

We literally aren't even close to being through with what is turning into one of the biggest failures of law enforcement in Canadian history to protect citizens – Bruce McArthur – and we have people out here making comments about poor oppressed police officers? Toronto Police continued a years-long tradition of neglect and disinterest in the LGBTQ community and banning them from the parade is exclusion? Get real, people.

The decision to allow queer police officers to remain in uniform seems like a ham-fisted attempt at trying to be reasonable, which is funny because it obviously didn't accomplish that. It should honestly be a full-stop ban of uniformed personnel until we can meaningfully resolve the systemic and structural inequities that affect marginalized folks in our society. Respect the fact that people who have different experiences from you don't feel safe with a police presence in the parade and, symbolic gesture or not, it's important to them to start this conversation and draw attention to an issue that affects them more than it might affect you. Ironically some police departments are doing a better of job of that than some of the people commenting here.

People would do well to remember, at the end of the day, you can remove your uniform, but you can't take off your queerness. You can choose to be a cop; you don't choose to be queer. The false equivalence is mind-boggling. Take some time to reflect on the fact you're putting the comfort of police officers ahead of queer folks.

Point blank: The parade is not for straight people. You are not entitled to an opinion on our parade, regardless of whether or not you are supportive. You are welcome to attend but don't wear out that welcome. 

The beautiful thing about living in Canada is you aren't forced to attend things you don't want to attend. Feel free to stay away, you're just making room for folks who do want to be there and don't tap out on a technicality.

Edited by bluefox, 08 July 2018 - 03:46 PM.

• gstc84 likes this
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#77 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 08 July 2018 - 03:51 PM

Point blank: The parade is not for straight people. You are not entitled to an opinion on our parade, regardless of whether or not you are supportive. You are welcome to attend but don't wear out that welcome. 

Thanks for clarifying as I honestly thought its all about being inclusive, tolerant and welcoming of everyone...

• Nparker, AllseeingEye, tedward and 5 others like this

#78 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 03:55 PM

Thanks for clarifying as I honestly thought its all about being inclusive, tolerant and welcoming of everyone...

It is. Of course it is.

But the parade – like my community – is not black and white. It's a thousand shades of grey. And there are realities you need to accept as an erstwhile ally (I'm assuming you are). We are going to demand things of you that are going to make you uncomfortable and you're going to have to deal with it.

It doesn't mean we're excluding people – in fact, that's nonsense.

#79 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 03:57 PM

But the parade – like my community – is not black and white. It's a thousand shades of grey. And there are realities you need to accept as an erstwhile ally (I'm assuming you are). We are going to demand things of you that are going to make you uncomfortable and you're going to have to deal with it.

It doesn't mean we're excluding people – in fact, that's nonsense.

This kind if self obsessed, entitled, vanity drives me nuts.
"Muh community" "ally" "deal with it"
Get over yourself
  • Cassidy likes this

#80 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 03:59 PM

This kind if self obsessed, entitled, vanity drives me nuts.
"Muh community" "ally" "deal with it"
Get over yourself

How about instead of dismissing our anger and frustration as "vanity", you seek to understand why we are angry and frustrated instead of running to the cops' side? That would be nice.

Sorry for offending your feelings. :)

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users