CANCELLED
Sidney Crossing
Use: commercial
Address: 2165 Beacon Avenue West
Municipality: Sidney
Region: Saanich Peninsula
Storeys: 1
Sidney Crossing was a 98,995 square foot commercial development proposed in the Town of Sidney on Victoria's S... (view full profile)
Learn more about Sidney Crossing on Citified.ca
Photo

[Sidney] Sidney Crossing | 98,995 sq. ft. shopping centre | Cancelled in 2018

• Please log in to reply
241 replies to this topic

#201 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 06:37 PM

Considering the timing, could this have anything to do with the results of the election in Sidney?

I suspect they didn't want to interfere with the election, but the decision to pull the plug would have likely been made some time back. It's always a bit tricky announcing major news ahead of election so they opted to wait.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#202 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 06:44 PM

Very good news. POS strip mall that would suck energy from Sidney’s strip.
  • Baro and Brantastic like this

#203 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 07:39 PM

Very good news. POS strip mall that would suck energy from Sidney’s strip.

Oh yeah wouldn’t want anything to happen to all that energy
  • rjag, AllseeingEye, sdwright.vic and 2 others like this

#204 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 08:04 PM

Oh yeah wouldn’t want anything to happen to all that energy

Yup I must've missed the memo last time I was out there, I mean all that street energy...was....indescribably.....overwhelming.......................and........................uh.....................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

• rjag, lanforod and grantpalin like this

#205 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 08:06 PM

Perhaps the pains affecting brick and mortar retail in general also have come into play in the decision to cancel this development. Some retail centres are thriving but others definitely are plagued with higher-than-desirable vacancy rates...

#206 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,052 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 03:56 AM

it likely has everything to do with the election.  if price was still there it might have been time for them to go back and say the $3m pedestrian crossing needs to be dropped.

#207 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 05:48 AM

it likely has everything to do with the election.  if price was still there it might have been time for them to go back and say the $3m pedestrian crossing needs to be dropped.

The issue was that they had no tenants. Brick and mortar is not a growth industry. The markets are in decline, capital is drying up and this was an easy out for Omnicron. Blame the politics and move on.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#208 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 06:00 AM

Perhaps the pains affecting brick and mortar retail in general also have come into play in the decision to cancel this development. Some retail centres are thriving but others definitely are plagued with higher-than-desirable vacancy rates...

The newest wing at Hillside Mall still has empty spaces. That end is dead with Sears gone.

#209 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 06:15 AM

The newest wing at Hillside Mall still has empty spaces. That end is dead with Sears gone.

Every mall has lots of vacancy.

#210 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 07:05 AM

As I have said before the retail market is very slow and this is no surprise.  I talk to a lot of nervous developers who see out of control construction costs and flat prices now and are starting to pull back.

I was at a tender meeting and a lot of construction companies were speaking up wanting to know the owners budget and many were fed up pricing jobs that went over budget and ended up cancelled

I was talking to a temp labour agency manager recently and even they are expecting a slow down early next year just like everyone else in construction

#211 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 23 October 2018 - 07:12 AM

As I have said before the retail market is very slow and this is no surprise.  I talk to a lot of nervous developers who see out of control construction costs and flat prices now and are starting to pull back.

I was at a tender meeting and a lot of construction companies were speaking up wanting to know the owners budget and many were fed up pricing jobs that went over budget and ended up cancelled

I was talking to a temp labour agency manager recently and even they are expecting a slow down early next year just like everyone else in construction

And the Left will have achieved their desired outcome, less employment means less demand for housing and less F150's on the roads. Nirvana

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#212 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 07:15 AM

And the Left will have achieved their desired outcome, less employment means less demand for housing and less F150's on the roads. Nirvana

And they will take credit for it!

#213 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 07:24 AM

What it means is government projects can soon begin to squeeze contractors. 

• rjag likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#214 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 23 October 2018 - 07:27 AM

I seem to remember discussion in this forum a couple years back when both Sidney Crossing and Sandowne were in the approvals process, and someone posited that they wouldn't be surprised if the approvals race between the two (Sidney and North Saanich) was due to an unspoken truth that the commercial market would only be able to support one of the two projects, so whoever got shovels in the ground first would survive. Looks like those musing were true!

• Baro, Nparker, grantpalin and 2 others like this

#215 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 07:30 AM

Yes, the race was on! It was clear based on analysis of the retail/commercial market of the area that only one shopping centre could realistically proceed and hence why Omicron said it needed to move hard and fast. But that being said, the proposal came forward publicly in mid-2015. By September of 2016 it had secured approvals from the municipality. That's actually quite a fast approvals process, no?

Sandown is now likely to secure a grocery tenant, should one actually be viable out there in addition to what's already available.

Know it all.

#216 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 07:43 AM

I think it is too bad, this would have been visual interest from the highway

#217 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 08:55 AM

Yes, the race was on! It was clear based on analysis of the retail/commercial market of the area that only one shopping centre could realistically proceed and hence why Omicron said it needed to move hard and fast. But that being said, the proposal came forward publicly in mid-2015. By September of 2016 it had secured approvals from the municipality. That's actually quite a fast approvals process, no?

Sandown is now likely to secure a grocery tenant, should one actually be viable out there in addition to what's already available.

I heard Thrifty were moving.

#218 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 09:58 AM

I do think the pedestrian overpass would have been necessary: the “status quo” could have led to severe traffic congestion at the Beacon Ave / Pat Bay intersection as turning vehicles waited for pedestrians to cross that wide intersection...

As Mike said, Omicron secured their approvals two years ago, so surely difficulties attracting tenants played a part. Originally Omicron had pitched an electronics/appliance retailer for the centre, so maybe Best Buy pulled out?

#219 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 10:05 AM

Maybe Costco can come in and get some land for a bargain? One can dream...

• rjag likes this

#220 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 11:23 AM

Hardly big enough for Costco!
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users