Photo

Topaz Park

• Please log in to reply
408 replies to this topic

#321 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:41 PM

The core of our region is rotten with nimbyism. The lobbyists of Saanich would rather keep that goose toilet of a softball field than get some brand new clay courts.

Anyway, partnering with Tennis Canada and a massive real estate development likely has its advantage. 

• Daveyboy likes this

#322 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 01:38 PM

I got a kick out of this sign that must have come from another job.

Tennis sign.jpg

This tennis court might be past the point of no return.

Tennis Court.jpg

It's a shame that the areas where cracks and grass are evident were not maintained when it first started showing signs of age.

Tennis Court 2.jpg

#323 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 01:42 PM

This tennis court might be past the point of no return.

Tennis Court.jpg

Oh no, not at all.  You might get some trickier bounces, but advanced players can adapt I'd think.

• Sparky and todd like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#324 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 01:42 PM

...It's a shame that the areas where cracks and grass are evident were not maintained when it first started showing signs of age.
Tennis Court 2.jpg

No doubt deliberate neglect (at least in the past year) to allow an "alternate use" to be acceptable in this location.

#325 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 02:05 PM

Is it another case of neglect to force through another agenda? We saw that with the Johnson Street Bridge, didn't we?

• Nparker, Bingo and A Girl is No one like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#326 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,784 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 08:44 AM

A bit late to this but those courts have been pretty much closed or out of use for at least a year and perhaps two. 

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#327 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 08:47 AM

The courts were not playable.

Of course, that doesn't mean the city should have automatically concluded that the area should be converted to grass.

#328 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 08:48 AM

...Of course, that doesn't mean the city should have automatically concluded that the area should be converted to grass.

Or the next homeless encampment...

#329 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 09:26 AM

Demolition by neglect just doesn't cut it any more. You don't just close a public asset then a year later remove it.

What if we did that with Crystal Pool? We can close it, let it crumble, then knock it down and say, "well, it was in bad shape, unusable, so here's a nice field for you."

• Nparker and Bingo like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#330 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 09:38 AM

...What if we did that with Crystal Pool? We can close it, let it crumble, then knock it down and say, "well, it was in bad shape, unusable, so here's a nice field for you."

A (further) neglected Crystal Pool would make a rather cool homeless shelter, dontcha think?

#331 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 09:49 AM

Hmmm...

Know it all.

#332 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 10:57 AM

Topaz Park Planning, including Tennis Courts
Monday September 12th at the regular monthly meeting
Hillside Quadra Neighbourhood Action Committee
7-9pm in the Teen Centre of the Quadra Village Community Centre
901 Kings Rd
All Welcome!

In the spring, City of Victoria staff met with residents about the Topaz Park Tennis Courts and their potential replacement.

A survey was then created with options for the replacement of the tennis courts.

Now, the Director of Parks, Recreation and Facilities, Thomas Soulliere,  ‎is coming back to the community with options, including some information about overall planning for Topaz Park. 

This is an important meeting.  You are being contacted because you have expressed an interest in Topaz Park issues.  Please attend if you are able.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#333 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:31 PM

Does anybody know how this works? Saturday night at 10:00PM, not a soul in sight, lights on full tilt as if electricity is free. Sure somebody was probably using the park earlier, but is there no way we couldn't be a little more respectful of the wasted energy or money?

Topaz Lights.JPG

#334 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:47 PM

^That was the Cockroach World Cup. Clearly you weren't paying close enough attention.
  • VicHockeyFan, Sparky and Bingo like this

#335 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:49 AM

Does anybody know how this works? Saturday night at 10:00PM, not a soul in sight, lights on full tilt as if electricity is free. Sure somebody was probably using the park earlier, but is there no way we couldn't be a little more respectful of the wasted energy or money?

Might have been left on by accident. Or maybe there are kept on to prevent people from camping on the playing field.

Edited by David Bratzer, 12 March 2017 - 06:49 AM.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#336 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:46 AM

http://www.victoria....topaz-park.html

Please complete the Topaz Park survey!

I'd like to see a return of the tennis courts, the addition of a basketball court and a water feature for the kids, in addition to general improvements to existing facilities (new field turf, new bathrooms/change rooms, lacrosse box needs refurbishment, etc).

• Nparker and nerka like this

#337 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,171 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:12 AM

http://www.victoria....topaz-park.html

Please complete the Topaz Park survey!

I'd like to see a return of the tennis courts, the addition of a basketball court and a water feature for the kids, in addition to general improvements to existing facilities (new field turf, new bathrooms/change rooms, lacrosse box needs refurbishment, etc).

But where will you put the homeless tent camp then?

• Nparker likes this

#338 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:16 AM

But where will you put the homeless tent camp then?

East Van can have 'em.

#339 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:29 AM

a water feature consisting of well dispersed jets that turned on unpredictably could discourage overnight camping

#340 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 12:42 PM

Here are the two concepts for Topaz Park revealed by the City.

City's page: http://www.victoria....topaz-park.html

TOPAZ-PARK-CONCEPTS.jpg

• jonny, gstc84, shoeflack and 1 other like this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users