Victoria gas prices | Victoria utility prices

• Please log in to reply
2163 replies to this topic

#41 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:37 PM

I was told by a Costco rep that if made aware of a lower price, they would beat it.

Where exactly is this Esso? I have noticed on a few occasions that the Chevron on Goldstream @ Veteran's Memorial Pwky has a lower price than other stations nearby, probably to siphon a little bit of the traffic heading to Costco to fill up.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#42 Layne French

Layne French
  • 355 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:49 PM

Esso that is at the corner of kelly and jacklin is usually a penny cheaper. Same as the esso in James Bay usually is.

#43 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:33 PM

The James Bay station is 1 cent cheaper than stations with the standard price but not 1 cent cheaper than Costco.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#44 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 07:26 AM

Gas is 104.5 around Victoria

#45 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:43 PM

Gas is 103.9 today in Victoria.

#46 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:50 PM

100.9 at Costco

#47 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:40 AM

This thread has been going on for awhile. Everyone realizes that a 4 cent increase in gas prices to the average car is about a 1.60 a tank right? or about 3.8 percent of the cost of filling up your car? That is the same as being concerned with a 13 cent change in the price of a loaf of bread.

#48 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:32 AM

This thread has been going on for awhile. Everyone realizes that a 4 cent increase in gas prices to the average car is about a 1.60 a tank right? or about 3.8 percent of the cost of filling up your car? That is the same as being concerned with a 13 cent change in the price of a loaf of bread.

Gasoline is different for the public because it is one of the few commodities where almost everyone is aware "the price". It is normally a very public display of a price that is the same all over.

If every store had a big street sign up with the price of bread, we would be aware of the rise and fall of the price.

Gas is the only product I can think of that has big public displayed prices. Imagine what would happen to prices if those signs were banned.

#49 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:46 AM

I agree, G. I fail to understand the fascination too. The guy that shops around for a 1-cent saving on gas then buys a bottle of pop and a candy bar at that station for $1.50 more than he could with his next grocery order.

I also find it quite fascinating that there is almost ZERO loyalty to a particular brand. I know, gas has certain minimum standards, and it may very well not vary between retailers, but that is also true of other products, yet others seem to get a brand loyalty. For example, I think that 97/100 people would choose Penzoil for their oil change, over the I ❤ Oil brand, even if it cost them $5 more. Save-On Gas/Coop gives you a percentage of cash back, but I don't think it gets them that much more business.

Why is price the nearly the only factor? Why don't gas stations try the hot server method employed by Cactus Club? Or like those drive-thru coffee servers in Washington State that flashed their tits. Does a free or cheap car-wash get more buyers any more? Why is there almost ZERO full-serves left? Some people must not like the gas smell on their hands after filling up (I enjoy it). It's a very strange study in non-marketing in my mind.

#50 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:50 AM

People used to rave about the service at the Fernwood/Rockland/Yates/Fort Shell station. I don't know of any stations today that get rave reviews.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#51 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:53 AM

People used to rave about the service at the Fernwood/Rockland/Yates/Fort Shell station. I don't know of any stations today that get rave reviews.

And it was as simple of telling the employess they had to RUN to the vehicles, that's about it. As Bob Dunsmuir said, if you walk to the vehicle, you might as well keep walking right off the lot, you're fired.

#52 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:07 AM

^Right, Bob Dunsmuir.

T/C 1987:

The Pay Less chain started the current round of "games and gimmicks" that led to the price-cutting, charged Bob Dunsmuir, proprietor of Dunsmuir Super Service, an independent Shell station.

As a Shell dealer, Dunsmuir said he dislikes being cast as the villain in the price wars.

"Every time the price of gas shifts, Big Al comes out a hero. He's the little guy who's getting beaten."

He said the public doesn't understand that Pay Less's guaranteed purchase agreements with its major suppliers provide for support up to a certain level in price competitions.

"Nobody guarantees me a damned dime," said Dunsmuir, adding that he has laid off two employees who pumped gas at his station because of the price war.

1996:

Swing your car into the Shell station at Fort and Yates and you'll see why this little station has supported 23 full- time employees for 34 years and won national awards. The boss Bob Dunsmuir speaks of his team with such pride and shares his winning ways:

"1. Hire when you don't need to, so you're not desperate - get cream of the crop;
2. We interview at 7:15 am. - see if they even show;
3. Tell them this is not a job. It's an opportunity to prove they can be an asset and show us what they can do;
4. Everyone sees the balance sheets - if gross sales go over 58%, EVERYONE gets a raise;
5. We give them lots of responsibility - they love it. They feel an important part of our success - and they are;
6. We have a staff meeting every Wednesday - they get 15 minutes of my stuff and I get 15 minutes of theirs. I'm 'the boss' just means I get to pay the rent - but we're equals here.

We tell them every driver that pulls in could be your next employer and we'll help you go. One was hired by the Royal Bank recently - right off the pumps. Many of these kids go on to university. They're all great kids. I have found a niche that just fits. I could retire but I love what I do."

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#53 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:07 AM

I hear raves reviews about Fairfield Plaza PetroCan. Bruce something-or-other owns it (I believe he also owns the Ross Bay Pub)? He charges the same for full and self-serve. I hear that the mechanics in the attached garage are also pretty resepctable.

#54 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 12:01 PM

I hear raves reviews about Fairfield Plaza PetroCan. Bruce something-or-other owns it (I believe he also owns the Ross Bay Pub)? He charges the same for full and self-serve. I hear that the mechanics in the attached garage are also pretty resepctable.

Ya, this is true.

#55 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:55 PM

Why is price the nearly the only factor? Why don't gas stations try the hot server method employed by Cactus Club? Or like those drive-thru coffee servers in Washington State that flashed their tits. .

There was a gas station in Princeton back in the late 60's that had topless (female:D) servers. It was so successful the police shut him down because the vehicles backed up so far to get in, they were blocking highway traffic. You didn't save anything but the wait was worth it.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#56 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:56 PM

There was a gas station in Princeton back in the late 60's that had topless (female:D) servers. It was so successful the police shut him down because the vehicles backed up so far to get in, they were blocking highway traffic. You didn't save anything but the wait was worth it.

If I understand it, being topless and female is OK in ths country, maybe we could bring that back in. I think a cold beer and wine store with topless males and female clerks with just bowties on would go over well. It's illegal in bars, but I think it's OK anywhere else, provided the job didn't require a heavier uniform for safety of the worker.

#57 B.Bridge

B.Bridge
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 10:38 AM

I'd go there to grab a couple of cold ones.

#58 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 10:41 AM

i'd go there to grab a couple of cold ones.

Zzing! :D

#59 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 11:04 AM

^Is there an extra charge for cold chilling?

Think crude oil is expensive?

http://reflectionof....erent-liquids-1

#60 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:18 PM

Today in Victoria gas is 102.9 cool ones remain the same.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users