• Please log in to reply
253 replies to this topic

#181 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,007 posts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 04:23 AM

Still going here. So nutty.

I guess people invested into fireworks to keep the kids at home? Buts it’s been an hour and a half of nonstop fireworks.

i think people have caught on to buying fireworks online finally.  has defeated the municipal sale bans.

#182 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 04:29 AM

Lots of fireworks for sale on the reserves.

#183 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 07:07 AM

Interesting that cops were busting fireworks displays all night. A call would come in, dispatch would look up permits. No permit, police sent out to issue fines.

I got woken up by a few loud ones in the middle of the night but it wasn’t so bad.

Zero kids at the door. Again.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#184 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 08:26 AM

A fellow on my block set up some fireworks at 8 pm but accidentally set some of them off horizontally, so they shot down my street at eye-level. I had a few choice words for him.

Growing up our family would meet with the neighbours to pool our fireworks, have a small backyard fire and have hot chocolate.  I remember enjoying that more than trick or treating and it would keep my older siblings interested and with us.  Dad used to use a bucket of sand to make sure things were safe.

Like most things today you now have idiots shooting them off where they shouldn't and neighbours complaining that they can hear people celebrating a holiday.

Zero kids at the door. Again.

I was expecting few but it was fairly busy.  We put the candy in a bucket on the driveway so I'm not sure how many exactly we had, but a neighbour texted me that it was the most they have ever had.  Strange given Covid and all...

#185 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 08:47 AM

I was expecting few but it was fairly busy.  We put the candy in a bucket on the driveway so I'm not sure how many exactly we had, but a neighbour texted me that it was the most they have ever had.  Strange given Covid and all...

It's Hallowe'en, everyone is wearing masks anyway.  ;)

• Nparker and On the Level like this

#186 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 09:37 AM

Growing up our family would meet with the neighbours to pool our fireworks, have a small backyard fire and have hot chocolate. I remember enjoying that more than trick or treating and it would keep my older siblings interested and with us. Dad used to use a bucket of sand to make sure things were safe.

Like most things today you now have idiots shooting them off where they shouldn't and neighbours complaining that they can hear people celebrating a holiday.

I was expecting few but it was fairly busy. We put the candy in a bucket on the driveway so I'm not sure how many exactly we had, but a neighbour texted me that it was the most they have ever had. Strange given Covid and all...

There were a few calls last night of fireworks landing on people’s properties or sparks hitting homes. It’s that kind of stuff that ruins it for everyone.

Rob’s example is why these things are so dangerous in the hands of adults who haven’t developed a sense of adult responsibility. One Roman candle to the face and you’re in serious trouble.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#187 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,007 posts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 10:11 AM

One Roman candle to the face and you’re in serious trouble.

but pales in comparison to the actual roman candle.

A rumored favorite of the mad Roman Emperor Nero, this method saw the subject tied to a stake and smeared with flammable pitch (tree or plant resin), then set ablaze, slowly burning to death from the feet up.

What sets this above the many other similar methods is the fact that the victims were sometimes lined up outside to provide the lighting for one of Nero’s evening parties.

no word if the maple ridge house had roman candles.

The display features mannequins in a variety of horror-themed situations, including two being hung from gallows, one being beheaded in a guillotine and one being chopped with a saw.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 November 2020 - 10:17 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

#188 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 05:00 PM

4FBE5294-2C1D-4025-8C21-EDCEA7754043.jpeg

#189 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 09:47 AM

CF6FD3DA-0CF8-44DB-8EF3-39BBA94734F8.jpeg
  • Mike K., Nparker and Matt R. like this

#190 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,007 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 03:40 AM

A Kelowna home is being investigated by the RCMP after a Halloween display, which included a prop figure hanging from a tree and a banner depicting a flying confederate flag, garnered significant public attention on Wednesday.

“We have opened an investigation in relation to the circumstances of the effigy and the flag at that location,” Insp. Adam MacIntosh is quoted as saying in a statement. He added that they are taking the incident “extremely seriously” and are working together with bylaw officers to find an appropriate course of action.

“These symbols only serve to fuel hatred and division and such behaviour cannot be tolerated in our community and society.”

https://www.vicnews....nfederate-flag/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 October 2021 - 03:41 AM.

#191 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,007 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 03:37 PM

The Nature Conservancy of Canada (NCC) is pushing back against spooky stereotypes surrounding creatures such as bats, owls, ravens, spiders and other commonly feared animals this Halloween season and beyond.

The organization said that these stereotypes are detrimental because it inhibits the public from a true understanding of why these species are vital to the health of many ecosystems in Greater Victoria.

Megan Quinn, coordinator of conservation biology with the NCC, said the problem is if people are afraid they may not understand why protection is important and even express hostility toward these creatures.

Quinn said that many of the species get a bad rap and have been negatively depicted at a time when their livelihood is a global conservation concern.

https://www.vicnews....ervation-group/

pushing back eh?  ya ok.

i hate bats.

i like owls.  except the ground owl, see below.

ravens are cool.

spiders i can go either way.  if i find one in the house i'm killing it unless it's very near a window.  

ground owl:  https://youtu.be/4392RwkHwOI

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 October 2021 - 03:43 PM.

• todd likes this

#192 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 07:12 PM

The Nature Conservancy of Canada (NCC) is pushing back against spooky stereotypes surrounding creatures such as bats, owls, ravens, spiders and other commonly feared animals this Halloween season and beyond.

We truly live in strange times.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#193 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 31 October 2021 - 07:37 AM

No worries about rats?

Know it all.

#194 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,007 posts

Posted 31 October 2021 - 07:41 AM

No worries about rats?

or cockroaches or mosquitos, surely they must have some usefulness.

anyway, anybody know what Trudeau is dressing up as today?

#195 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 31 October 2021 - 09:59 AM

The microscopic organisms are the most scary.

#196 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 31 October 2021 - 10:03 AM

The microscopic organisms are the most scary.

All the bacilli costumes were sold out when I went shopping for mine this year.

#197 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,007 posts

Posted 31 October 2021 - 10:12 AM

maybe you just could not see them.  without a microscope.

#198 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 31 October 2021 - 10:18 AM

maybe you just could not see them.  without a microscope.

I have decided to go as the invisible man instead.

#199 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 31 October 2021 - 10:19 AM

Just go as a bat i’m sure it will have some.

#200 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 31 October 2021 - 12:08 PM

24C94AE4-5811-4785-A5D7-283EB1B52014.jpeg

4FBE5294-2C1D-4025-8C21-EDCEA7754043.jpeg

I have relatives in graves, but to me it seems like the ultimate insult to reserve a place on this earth for eternity? Fine if you want to be buried, but an eternal monument? In Victoria some of the biggest green space is the cemetery.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users