Photo

Halloween in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
253 replies to this topic

#101 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 11:23 AM

Are there any houses or areas that you know of that have big halloween displays? There should be a halloween map like the one for xmas lights. 

The only one I know is the house on Landsdowne that does a big display for pretty well every holiday:

https://www.oakbayne...e-on-your-face/

i did a bit of driving around yesterday afternoon (halloween recon lol)  there are a few decent displays in the baker street area (baker, baxter, broadway, both sides of glanford.. i think it was tait where we saw a person had made a dragon out of steel (definitely a hand crafted item by someone with some skill!)  hawkes street (a dead end street) had a number of houses done up

• Redd42 likes this

#102 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 01:07 PM

i did a bit of driving around yesterday afternoon (halloween recon lol)  there are a few decent displays in the baker street area (baker, baxter, broadway, both sides of glanford.. i think it was tait where we saw a person had made a dragon out of steel (definitely a hand crafted item by someone with some skill!)  hawkes street (a dead end street) had a number of houses done up

Yes there are a couple in Esquimalt.

One on Carry Street near Craigflower, and  one down on Fraser St. on your way to saxe point park. 

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 28 October 2018 - 01:09 PM.

#103 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,510 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 07:28 PM

Pretty quiet night; other than the fireworks show at Gorge Kinsman park its very quiet in the Selkirk neck of the woods. Few kids out there and I notice a definite lack of houses lighted up with pumpkins etc. I think lots of folks turned off the porch light, closed the blinds and settled in to watch the Canucks-Black Hawks game. heh.....

#104 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 08:07 PM

I think lots of folks turned off the porch light, closed the blinds

That was us. Except a group of four boys still knocked on our darkened door.  Lucky for them I had a few full-size chocolate bars stashed away. 

#105 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,510 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 10:02 PM

/\......same; once our daughter stopped going out on Halloween (age 12) and especially now that she's moved out with the BF there is little incentive to do anything and particularly since there are very few younger kids left in the neighborhood any more. I saw a handful of youngsters down the street just after I got home from work about 5:15, then literally no one by 6......

#106 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 11:05 PM

we found a pretty decent neighborhood saw a fair few kids out..let the kid go as long as she wanted (but cut off before 9pm)she got a disgusting amount of candy and chips while i played her pack mule... she wanted to beat her last year's total.. she flew right past it.. i don't think she'll be able to top it next year lol

• Sparky likes this

#107 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 05:57 AM

For the past three years or so a house on Linden has done a bang-up job with a sort of spooky covered maze thingy in their front garden. It's hilarious really...a charming Scottish fellow lets people in a few at a time and they've got it set up very well inside. I didn't go in this year, but my daughter did (she's in her thirties, lol). The guy asks you what "level" you want to be scared at, so little kids can go through too. He often yells out "we've got a level ten coming in" or similar. I hear kids saying what level they're going for, so they've obviously been there before. A huge amount of work but always a line up. Also a house on Richardson near Harbinger had a great display in the front, as did a house on Fairfield. Glad it didn't rain for the kids.

• rjag and David Bratzer like this

#108 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,171 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 November 2018 - 08:05 AM

Always get tons of kids in our neighbourhood in Royal Oak. Quite a few 'all out' displays too.

#109 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 08:14 AM

Zero kids.

But then again I do live in the boonies now, lol.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#110 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 08:18 AM

Got 18 which was way down from last year's 36 (my dad likes to keep exact count). Feel sorry for the first few kids as I switched up from two pieces to handfuls when it was clear we weren't getting much.

#111 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 08:48 AM

Zero kids.

But then again I do live in the boonies now, lol.

Oh so you gave up that corner suite?  At least I don't need to worry about biking on the sidewalk around your own hood anymore.

#112 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 08:50 AM

You do what now?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#113 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 01 November 2018 - 09:30 AM

For the past three years or so a house on Linden has done a bang-up job with a sort of spooky covered maze thingy in their front garden.

What block of Linden?

#114 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 November 2018 - 05:07 PM

Won't be long before we're all resigned to sitting still with our hands folded in our lap outside of work.

Saanich conservation group wants to smash local pumpkin tradition

Friends of Mount Douglas Park Society says it’s inappropriate to dump pumpkins outside landmark park

https://www.vicnews....pkin-tradition/

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#115 Laszlow

Laszlow
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 05:14 PM

Well, year 4 ... no kids. And I really don't blame them. My area is near the Tally Ho (Well used to be the Tally Ho. Yes it was a sh*t hole ... but it was MY sh*t hole!)

Sorry, je digress.

On my street, there are no kids. There was a family around the corner had a couple of youngsters. I had spoken to the young mother through her mailbox just before she moved out.

(I am kidding ,., she never spoke to anyone!)

So no kids., It is a ghetto.

Saved a few bucks cause I don't eat candies and if I had bought any I would have to call a hazmat crew and consult the CRD just how to dispose of them.

When I was a kid we used to go door to door - the folks would give us envelopes with cash. The first few years we had rehearsed ..."Hey, dis is a nice house eh? Be terrible if something happened to it!"

After a few years it was extremely efficient. No costumes, no rehearsed thre ... err I mean spea,,, I mean Trick or Treats ... just cash. Peace in the hood.

#116 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,003 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:37 AM

there will be no haunted house at ogden point this year. or the breakwater district.

#117 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 08:10 AM

https://www.vicnews....haunted-places/

#118 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 08:17 AM

Ha, that's the Legislature in Edmonton. Close enough!

• todd likes this

#119 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 08:22 AM

i see they have changed it up now.

#120 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 08:28 AM

https://www.vicnews....haunted-places/

screenshot-www.vicnews.com-2019.10.13-11_53_30.png

It was also rumored that Thomas Hooper, St. Ann's architect, killed people and had them poured into the foundations to give his buildings "souls." When taking a stroll past the buildings, their eerie presence is undoubtable.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users