Photo

Hernande'z (Hernandez) | Victoria | St. Andrews Square, 700-block of View & Yates streets

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#21 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:56 PM

Hernandez has opened a second location on 1600 Bay St. It's strictly takeout.

Are you sure? I have not eaten there but I walked past there after they had closed and peered in the window. The serving counter is to the right of the door and there are tables and chairs in the space to the left. Is this not a dining area? It sure looks like one.

Nice to see they are open till 9 tho. edit: wait a sec...checked the above url & it says the new location is open till 7.

I was past there just after 9 PM and I could see them cleaning up so I assume they are open 'til 9 PM. The hours are written on a piece of butcher paper attached to the gate to the outdoor patio and it confirms the 9 PM closing time.

#22 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:19 AM

^ the issue with the previous restaruant their was that the fire code did not allow for dining there and they were technically operating against fire code. I am sure that the new owners will say that the tables are for people "waiting" for their food.

#23 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:52 AM

Well well, in what appears to be an unintentional Seinfeld homage, it looks like Victoria has its very own Taco Nazi, heheh!

http://hernandezrestaurant.com/

An excerpt from their webologue:

Sometimes, we don't have items available. That's because Jerson makes everything from scratch. It's an organic process--he's not a machine. Actually, in order to keep the integrity and consistency of the food--sometimes he just won't make it if he's not in the mood to do it. He was taught by his Grandmother that the energy of the person cooking flows into the food and that it is a vital part of the alchemical cooking process.

NO GUAC FOR YOU!!

#24 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 12:53 PM

Yet it is always good.

#25 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:49 PM

Yet it is always good.

Oh yeah, I totally agree - their food is amazing. But is it worth the hassle?

I suppose when your food is that good, you can afford to ignore patrons' requests for (tap) water or demand your customers accept the fact that you don't want to dirty a plate. Good to know that water with meals wasn't de rigeur pre-WWII. Welcome to 2009. And it's also not normal in Latin America. Well, fine...but last time I Google mapped Victoria, it is squarely in the North America.

I do find it ironic that for folks who are concerned about sourcing items would use bottled water (essentially filtered municipal source water) versus the perfectly good tap water available in the CRD.

#26 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 02:16 PM

The owners of Hernandez are from Central America.

#27 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 02:53 PM

The owners of Hernandez are from Central America.

My bad - I read Latin America on their site which, my mind (incorrectly) translated to South America.

#28 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 04:49 PM

1600 Bay has been closed, not sure for how long...

http://www.hernandezcocina.com/

Very odd...

No Tap Water? No Plate For My Burrito?

Jerson and I have decided not to serve tap water in glasses or burritos on plates. In addition to this being a more authentic approach to our cocina, it is a cost saving measure that allows us to keep our prices low.

Hernande’z offers an authentic experience, quality food and is excellent value at a very affordable price and we intend to keep it that way. So, we serve our burritos and tacos on paper. If you would like your meal on a plate, we will happily provide it at a charge of $1.00 per plate. We also sell bottled water for way below market price ($1.00/bottle)–in addition, you are welcome to bring your own container of water if you wish, as you might if you went to a cocina in Central America. If we have time, we will be happy to fill it with tap water!

We basically feel that Hernande’z is an extension of our own home–so when you are visiting Hernande’z, think of yourself as being in our living room. Yes, we are casual at home with our guests. You don’t have a fork? Help yourself, you know where they are. Don’t know where they are? Just ask someone. Need something, and we’re talking to another person? Feel free to gently interrupt and we’ll be happy to see what we can do to make you more comfortable. We’re here because we have designed our lives to love what we’re doing, so rest assured that we’ll always be happy to see you!

If they want to pretend it's 1930, maybe they should get rid of the website.

However, regardless of which menu you order off of, please do not ask “how long” it will take. We are pretty serious about making promises and we don’t like to put our cashiers in the position of making commitments for the cooks on the line… ultimately how long your food takes is a delicate balance of what you ordered, how busy it is and how many orders are on the line

#29 VicBooster

VicBooster
  • 200 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 06:17 PM

There's something about this eatery and its staff that rubs me the wrong way. I've had their burritos a couple of times and each time the amount of ingredients was different. One day the burrito is well packed and the next its thin.

Their lax attitude towards their service doesn't seem to translate well to consistency and that's the main reason why I'm not keen about being a return customer. The feeling I get is if they are runnin low on a certain ingredient they'll dish out smaller portions until they close instead of making a fresh batch to ensure all orders are the same size each time. I might be way off on what is actually happening in the kitchen but without consistency one can be forgiven for coming to this conclusion.

#30 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 06:37 PM

Vicbooster, I'm sure that's all part of the authentic experience.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#31 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:52 AM

Hernade'z is expanding to the other side of the St. Andrew's Square walkway where the magazine shop used to be.

The magazine shop is currently being prepped for use as a food outlet.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#32 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:46 PM

I'm boycotting Hernandez until such time as they place a sign with the name of the restaurant over top of the place.

#33 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:05 PM

I've tried this place a few times now, and each time the staff made me feel like I was "doing it wrong" or didn't understand the deeply authentic and important statement the restaurant's existence represents. The food's pretty good but expect a long indignant lecture if you ask for a glass of water or are confused by any of their other unique policies. The menus also have a very defensive-toned explanation on their prices and methods. I'm not digging it. It's not exactly comparable, but I think I'll be sticking to delicados for wraps as they come with water, friendly service, and consistent quality.

#34 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 05:31 PM

I refuse to eat there b/c they don't give damn about their customers. It's all about the fragile ego of the delicate genius cooking the food.

These guys are the Latino version of Seinfeld's Soup Nazi. They're like a Taco Totalitarian, or Jalapeno Junta. Chimichanga Chief?

#35 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 05:59 PM

^ & ^^ You know, I tend to agree. The food is good, but the last time I ordered there I was told, by the woman taking the money, that I need a pushier attitude. Come again?
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#36 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:42 PM

These guys are the Latino version of Seinfeld's Soup Nazi. They're like a Taco Totalitarian, or Jalapeno Junta. Chimichanga Chief?

You might not be able to get water there, but perhaps a glass of Juche?

#37 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:24 PM

The most recent and final time I went to Hernande'z was on my lunch break. I got there at 11:25 and they had the gate open and their music on. I ordered and the girl took my order to the back, only to be told that I was going to have to wait until 11:30 because they weren't open yet, even though the gate was open, the tables were out, and the waitress was willing to take my order. The food definitely isn't worth the ****ty attitude you get.

#38 VicBooster

VicBooster
  • 200 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:47 PM

The place certainly considers itself as avant garde for some reason.

But nonetheless its packed during lunch hours and I see that they have recently extended their operating hours into the late afternoon, maybe even early evening.

I remember that when they were operating out of that tiny place on View Street where Pig BBQ is now that they would have absolutely insane hours. One day they would be open, the next they would be closed.

#39 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:12 PM

The magazine store is closed? Too bad. I wish one would go in the Atrium. There was a magazine store across the street on Yates where the swamp used to be. Sigh--even the swamp is gone now.

They're like a Taco Totalitarian, or Jalapeno Junta. Chimichanga Chief?

Burrito Mussolini.

You're welcome.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#40 B.Bridge

B.Bridge
  • 108 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:19 PM

I eat there quite often. Love it! Never had an attitude from staff or owners. A fabulous place. Not always open, and has a history of disappearing and reappearing somewhere else. I love that too. Ebbs and flows with the owners balancing their life as their kids grow. It used to bother me when I'd show up and they would be suddenly closed, but I learned to love that too. Pretty awesome food, and cheap prices. I recommend it to people quite often, and haven't heard any complaints.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users