Photo

Hernande'z (Hernandez) | Victoria | St. Andrews Square, 700-block of View & Yates streets

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#41 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:21 PM

The magazine store is closed? Too bad. I wish one would go in the Atrium. There was a magazine store across the street on Yates where the swamp used to be. Sigh--even the swamp is gone now.

Burrito Mussolini.

You're welcome.

Damn it, that's good. Props also to Baro for Juche.

#42 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 04:22 PM

I went there for lunch today, based on the discussion on this site. My burrito was good and arrived quickly. I like that if you want to stay there to eat you can have a real plate for $1 extra. Real cutlery too. I'm someone that hates to eat off styrofoam or anything that gets used once and then goes in to the garbage.
They have some pretty good canned organic juice, too. Its not on the menu, so the price is not posted - I think I had to pay about $3 for it, but I liked it.

There was a constant line up and people were served quickly.
Pieta VanDyke

#43 Dimitrios

Dimitrios
  • 316 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:49 AM

Want a very cheap, very healthy, mega-yum, ultra no-frills meal? If so, this place fully delivers. This local haunt is hard to find in a sleepy little mall building on Yates, just beside the Dalton Hotel and across from the Odeon theatre (735 Yates is the address). But persevere, because where else can you get 5 fresh corn tacos for $5, with local grain-fed beef, fresh veggies, and served on a scrap of butcher paper (a plate is $1 extra)? Aimed at replicating the 'outdoor kitchen' experience of Latin America, this place doesn't even consider itself a restaurant. A few of the 'specials' are priced more normally ($11-12 for a main dish, plate included), but the standards are great value.

Ok, there are a couple of tradeoffs - it's cash only (helps reduce their costs), they don't serve water (except in bottles; is this legal?), and I couldn't help think that the 'pay extra for plates' policy must result in a lot of garbage. But I'll give it the benefit of the doubt (a piece of waxed paper isn't really all that much garbage when you think about it). I don't think they serve alcohol either, but that's no biggie for me.

I reckon it's the ultimate lunch spot if you work nearby. Enjoy.

#44 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 04:08 PM

Wow, haters gonna hate. Keep hatin', the place is always busy and the food is always excellent. Like said above, where else can you get five excellent tacos for $5?

From a business perspective, not offering water by the glass (why wouldn't this be legal?) and plates to eat off must save a fortune in breakage and warewashing costs. The service quirks might be an issue for some of the over-50 crowd, but clearly many people dig this place because they are packed five days a week and have been for years. Love it.

Matt.

#45 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 05:17 PM

With Hernanez' expansion into the former magazine shop space across the hall of the mini-mall it seems like they are taking over. They have a lot of seating. If I were Kane Straith, the owner of the mens ware store beside them I would complain to the landlord about Hernandez. The mall seemed to cater to a more upscale client before, but Hernandez is bringing the place down (with it's seating crowding out into the walkway, on both sides).

#46 Dimitrios

Dimitrios
  • 316 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 05:20 PM

Oops - apologies for making a new thread...I guess this place wasn't a restaurant.

As for attitude, whatever, I've gotten way worse at pizza joints, bars, etc.

#47 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 05:23 PM

With Hernanez' expansion into the former magazine shop space across the hall of the mini-mall it seems like the are taking over. They have a lot of seating. If I were Kane Straith, the owner of the mens ware store beside them I would complain to the landlord about Hernandez. The mall seemed to cater to a more upscale client before, but Hernandez is bringing the place down (with it's seating crowding out into the walkway, on both sides).

Hmmm, w/o Hernadez I'd have never known thats where Ken Straith is.

#48 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 05:27 PM

Do you shop at Ken Straiths now?

#49 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 05:30 PM

Hmmm, w/o Hernadez I'd have never known thats where Ken Straith is.

I suspect the landlord quite enjoys the food service in the mall, as they are generating revenue and foot traffic for all. The last time I was in, Thursday I think it was, the whole mall was packed. The soup place - Souped Up?? or something - was doing a brisk trade, with every seat full and lots being packed to go. I can't say I'd go back to shop at whatever the men's store is, but I'd go back for a quick lunch pretty much any day I could.

If that pedestrian mall was full of mens wear retail, it'd be a lot less busy I bet.

Matt.

#50 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:40 PM

Ok, there are a couple of tradeoffs - it's cash only (helps reduce their costs)

Also tends to invite the tax man for a closer look!

#51 dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds
  • 214 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:19 PM

I am surprised at all the hating, I have eaten there since the hole in the wall View street days and though they are quirky you can't beat the quality you get for the price! I just love all the fresh smells and tastes with everything they do. The $1 for water doesn't bother me, you can bring your own in and it saves on their overhead. Don't like wax paper for plates, open up your wallet for another dollar princess!! :)

From their website
"If you like good food, prepared in the traditional way from scratch with handmade corn tortillas made fresh to order by happy people, "

#52 EskimoDave

EskimoDave
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:19 PM

I've never had any service issues. Then again this is Victoria, so I don't even pay attention to my service anymore, unless it's worse than usual. I really enjoy the food here. My only complaint is that it is too busy.
http://beerontherock.com, a comprehensive Vancouver Island beer blog.

#53 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:26 PM

My only complaint with the restaurant is the obviously poor location. I had hoped it would move to a larger and more accessible storefront in the Atrium.

#54 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:59 PM

Every time I walk through the "mall" this place is taking over more and more space. Instead of moving they're just slowly taking over the ground floor.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#55 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:48 AM

As of this past weekend prices have gone up.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#56 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:21 PM

Went tonight. Tacos went from $5/5 to $6/5 - still a hell of a deal and absolutely delicious. Looks like a few other items went up a dollar or so, too. Can't say I blame 'em!

Matt.

#57 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:38 AM

They went to $6? Why did they charge me nearly $7.50 after HST? must have been a screw up.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#58 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:40 AM

Maybe you asked for a napkin! :)

Matt.

#59 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:18 PM

Two :)

...and are they still only accepting cash at this place?

Know it all.

#60 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:55 PM

Not sure, but I always bring cash. The food's so good.

Matt.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users