Photo

The Keg Steakhouse + Bar in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 932 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 10:49 AM

The Keg restaurant at 3940 Quadra is for sale, for $3 million: http://www.colliersc...14#.Vhh_IaT9q2w

What surprises me is that it's advertised as "land or development site for sale". The old brick building, built in 1900, was the station for pumping water from Elk Lake into the city, and is listed on a register of historic places: http://www.historicp...eu.aspx?id=3695.

Anyone know if that means it's protected, or not? The Colliers listing doesn't mention the building's status.

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 10:50 AM

Any redevelopment would likely be on the massive parking lot behind the building.

STUNNING HERITAGE BUILDING IN THE HEART OF DOWNTOWN VICTOIRA

Someone has brutally screwed up (and I don't just mean the spelling of Victoria).

• Nparker and sebberry like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 11:20 AM

The Keg restaurant at 3940 Quadra is for sale, for $3 million: http://www.colliersc...14#.Vhh_IaT9q2w

What surprises me is that it's advertised as "land or development site for sale". The old brick building, built in 1900, was the station for pumping water from Elk Lake into the city, and is listed on a register of historic places: http://www.historicp...eu.aspx?id=3695.

Anyone know if that means it's protected, or not? The Colliers listing doesn't mention the building's status.

According to the Saanich Heritage Registry: "This information will allow heritage factors to be considered in the initial stages of the planning process, not as an afterthought or a regret."

Attached Images

• victoria waterworks building2.jpg

• Nparker and sebberry like this
:)

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:19 AM

As mentioned by sebberry elsewhere, this location will be closing within several weeks for renovations.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 February 2016 - 10:39 AM

I knew we had a Keg thread but it didn't come up in the search.  :/

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#6 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 01:44 PM

I knew we had a Keg thread but it didn't come up in the search.  :/

No kidding!  You probably entered The Keg in the search box and got    NO RESULTS FOUND FOR 'THE KEG'

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 02:21 PM

Yeah, it's a dumb bug in the searching algorithm of the forum software. Lame, I know.

• 57WestHills likes this

Know it all.

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 03:16 PM

The Saanich Keg will remain open until early April.

Know it all.

#9 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 03:33 PM

I thought the building the Saanich Keg is in was for sale?

#10 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 February 2016 - 03:41 PM

I thought the building the Saanich Keg is in was for sale?

Looks like the original listing is down. Either way, the manager we spoke with gave no indication that they were going anywhere other than to renovate.

The Saanich Keg will remain open until early April.

Ah. They really had no idea when it would be. Initially it was going to be February, but they did say permits and plans weren't all in place yet.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 04:30 PM

If it's for sale that doesn't mean the owner will evict The Keg, I wouldn't think.

Know it all.

#12 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 February 2016 - 04:33 PM

No kidding.  Why would you get rid of a tenant like that?

#13 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 05:43 PM

No kidding.  Why would you get rid of a tenant like that?

You mean a renoviction?

#14 Coopershawk

Coopershawk
  • 120 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 06:36 PM

Thanks eveyone for participating in the survey...it looks like we're headed to The Keg for our special dinner!

Edited by Coopershawk, 10 February 2016 - 06:37 PM.

#15 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 October 2016 - 09:49 PM

The Keg on Quadra is currently closed until Oct 24 for renovations.

#16 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 07:03 PM

Say what you will about other eateries around town but the Keg is nothing if not a consistent dining experience; we went to the Quadra location tonight for probably the first time in a decade or more, for Mrs ASE's belated b-day dinner, along with miss teen ASE and her BFF.

It was like warping back to the early 80's when hitting the Keg and consuming way too many Keg Size highballs was the SOP prior to a night out at the clubs.

Atmosphere was good as was the service and the food - our steaks in fact were very good which is what you come to expect from the Keg. I booked online in advance and it was a good thing as the place was jammed even for the 5pm sitting; the 6:30 session was already sold out even before I booked our dinner earlier in the week so clearly they continue to do seriously good business at this location....

#17 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 February 2017 - 07:13 PM

Been going every Tuesday for appies for a number of years now.  Well, it's every other Tuesday since we found a good deal on pasta elsewhere. 

Unfortunately The Keg's appy menu has been seriously cut back over the years and the prices have become less attractive.  We know the servers pretty well.  The recent renovation they did turned out quite nice.

#18 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 07:23 PM

/\......yes we both commented on the menu changes and particularly the appy's. And I presume the old Keg salad bar was long ago consigned to the ash-heap of history. Cost was maybe slightly higher than what I expected with two adults and two teens x 4 appies, a couple of drinks (one each for Mrs and me), four entrees and two desserts for the kids - all in it was $162.xx + tip.

#19 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 07:27 PM

It's Dine Around time in Victoria, which is why they were so rammed.

Matt.

#20 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:59 AM

162 for 4 people at the Keg is crazy cheap. I just went to the downtown one on Thursday and was also very happy. I forgot it was dine around, so it was a great surprise to see real meals as the entree choices. 2 $40 menus, 2 single meals, cheap bottle of wine and a couple drinks the bill was $200. Probably $50 cheaper than had it not been dine around. I'm also a shareholder! They used to mail out $20 gift cards to shareholders but sadly that practice stopped some time ago.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users