PROPOSED
Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre
Use: commercial
Address: 2275 Quadra Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 2
The City of Victoria is exploring the option of replacing the aging Crystal Pool Fitness Centre with a modern ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre on Citified.ca
Photo

Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre project

• Please log in to reply
1947 replies to this topic

#1321 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,002 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 03:30 PM

ya sorry nparker saw it afterwards.  my bad.

#1322 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 03:31 PM

No worries. Probably best to keep the conversation in this thread rather than the other.

#1323 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 03:31 PM

has anyone actually polled north park residents about losing their pool (location)?

did the npna actually say "put the pool anywhere but on the current site and we don't care if it goes in james bay"?  

what incompetence by staff and council.

• Nparker and Midnightly like this

#1324 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 03:32 PM

has anyone actually polled north park residents about losing their pool (location)?...

Well this North Park resident was never polled.

#1325 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 03:42 PM

the report on both sites - the school and the rap parking lot suggests underground parking.  is that a new pool feature?  that'll add at least $5-10M i'd think.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 May 2019 - 03:42 PM.

#1326 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 03:45 PM

also the school site does not just mean a loss of green space - but their playing field.  don't they host inter-school sports?  or lunch-time soccer?  or gym class?

#1327 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 03:46 PM

Options as per the CoTW agenda package

The following are presented for Council consideration:

Option 1 - That Council direct staff to conduct a feasibility study of the Central Middle School site, including the arrangement between the City and School District 61, facility amenities, conceptual design, and cost estimates (Recommended) A study of the school site will allow the City to clarify, in detail, the opportunities and risks associated with constructing the new community facility next to the school. This would include public engagement on the amenities and impacts, along with details on the partnership between the two organizations, as well as other potential stakeholders. Staff recommend the scope of this study include the existing recreation and wellness program developed for the facility, as well as childcare and affordable housing.

Option 2 - That Council direct staff to conduct a feasibility study of the City property at 940 Caledonia St, including the facility amenities, conceptual design, and cost estimates Should Council desire a study of the parking lot site, staff would clarify in detail, the opportunities and risks associated with constructing the new community facility next to the sport stadium. This would include public engagement, as well as partnership considerations between the City and other potential stakeholders. Staff recommend the scope of this study include the existing recreation and wellness program developed for the facility, as well as childcare and affordable housing.

#1328 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 03:47 PM

maybe the new councillors will just balk.  i'm sure some north park residents will. 

and probably the npna.

#1329 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 03:50 PM

where does that quote come from?  about the death of the rg idea?

The staff report stated that they were unable to reach a deal with RG.

The Keystone Cops couldn't have bungled this more than our current batch. What have we spent now, $2.5M and we don't even have a plan let alone shovels in the ground?

If the Mayor and council stuck to the basic premise of replacing a pool and didn't worry about trying to solve all of the world's problems at the same time, then this would have been completed by now.

Edited by spanky123, 03 May 2019 - 03:53 PM.

• Nparker, Midnightly, Cassidy and 1 other like this

#1330 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 03:54 PM

it sounds a lot like the sewage siting continual circle.

the reason helps agreed to look across the street was because she feared running a referendum when the npna was opposed to siting.  will she be happy to run a referendum when the npna is opposed to losing the pool altogether?

#1331 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 03:56 PM

maybe the new councillors will just balk.  i'm sure some north park residents will. 

and probably the npna.

I am sure that losing a pool and centre wasn't part of the plan but I can see the Mayor and council wanting to punish the residents for their objection over the lack of consultation last year. Basic question though is whether they have asked anyone in the CMS area how they feel about the project? My guess is this will be the first time any of them are hearing about it.

Edited by spanky123, 03 May 2019 - 03:56 PM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#1332 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 03:56 PM

The staff report stated that they were unable to reach a deal with RG.

which probably anyone with a brain could probably have told you a pool and an ice arena don't have many potential shared systems.

#1333 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 03:57 PM

CMS area how they feel about the project? My guess is this will be the first time any of them are hearing about it.

you can bet the school pac has heard nothing before this.

#1334 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 03:57 PM

also the school site does not just mean a loss of green space - but their playing field. don't they host inter-school sports? or lunch-time soccer? or gym class?

This is Victoria, it is deemed green space because nothing is on it.

So I expect some sort of outrage on top of it being school green space

Edited by sdwright.vic, 03 May 2019 - 03:58 PM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1335 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 03:58 PM

which probably anyone with a brain could probably have told you a pool and an ice arena don't have many potential shared systems.

There probably are synergies if your are building the sites together. Trying to build a new site and then tying it into a retrofitted old site is different.

As I said at the time though, RG was holding all of the cards here. I am sure that they offered the City a deal, it was just likely very one sided.

Edited by spanky123, 03 May 2019 - 03:59 PM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#1336 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 04:05 PM

As I said at the time though, RG was holding all of the cards here. I am sure that they offered the City a deal, it was just likely very one sided.

agreed.

google maps says the central site would be 2.0km or 26 minutes away by foot.  take that north park!

new staff timeline says construction completed by 2024.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 May 2019 - 04:08 PM.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#1337 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 04:12 PM

The TC article that mentioned the project pegs the cost at just under $60 million.

Victoria will go bankrupt if it keeps this up: $60 million for a bridge; $60 million for a rec centre; hundreds of millions for sewage treatment, etc, etc.

ahh.  and a trip down memory lane back to 2009!

the pool will be over $100m the bridge is probably $120m and the sewage is headed to over a $ billion.  "etc. etc'"  can be our bike lanes!

and:

new staff timeline says construction completed by 2024.

15 years later.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 May 2019 - 04:13 PM.

#1338 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 05:09 PM

...new staff timeline says construction completed by 2024.

And where's the money coming from? Another property tax increase? I suppose at least I will be able to take a free bus to the new pool.  :wacko:

#1339 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 05:12 PM

And where's the money coming from? Another property tax increase?

not unless they save up.   a $100m cash outlay is going to require lots of senior grants or borrowing (= referendum/counterpetition).

#1340 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 07:31 PM

Why do they keep talking about this "new pool" when they have not secured any funding for it, they make it sound like they will groundbreaking any day.

• Nparker and Midnightly like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users