PROPOSED
Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre
Use: commercial
Address: 2275 Quadra Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 2
The City of Victoria is exploring the option of replacing the aging Crystal Pool Fitness Centre with a modern ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre on Citified.ca
Photo

Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre project

• Please log in to reply
1947 replies to this topic

#1341 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,032 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 07:33 PM

i think crappy tire pitched in $1m.

#1342 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 07:52 PM

they pitched in 1 mil through their jumpstart program.. but last i heard it was taking too long and the grant expired so the money is no longer available (but.. if the city were to apply again when they have a more stable secure plan i'm sure that funding would come back)

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#1343 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 07:54 PM

i absolutely do not agree with putting the pool on the school field.. yes the city may own the property but that school needs the field for all the students that attend the school,it does not just sit vacant... it needs the space for the growing needs of the school (portables will continue to be added i'm sure.. it already has some)

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#1344 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,032 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 07:57 PM

a better idea would be on the vic high property. more serious swimmers requiring an Olympic pool at that age.
  • Awaiting Juno likes this

#1345 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 08:05 PM

Did I miss something but why does it need to be moved? I thought it was so they didn't have to close it but if it's nowhere near the current location making sure the current users still have access doesn't seem like a priority.
  • tedward likes this

#1346 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 08:15 PM

i absolutely do not agree with putting the pool on the school field.. yes the city may own the property...

The CoV doesn't own the CMS property. A deal would have to be worked out with SD 61.

#1347 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 08:20 PM

^Free swimming for students!
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1348 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 08:22 PM

Come on VW.. we are trying to "be" better now.

#1349 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 08:23 PM

a better idea would be on the vic high property...

I think the issue of public transportation might be a factor in this location. That's one of the strikes against the Caledonia site (RAP parking lot) even though it's only about 1/2 block from Quadra Street and the most frequent bus service in the city. CMS has the advantage of major bus routes running alongside both the north and south sides of the property.

Edited by Nparker, 03 May 2019 - 08:24 PM.

#1350 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 08:59 PM

The CoV doesn't own the CMS property. A deal would have to be worked out with SD 61.

are you sure? i remember central having a heck of a time trying to get portables installed because the city owned parts of the land the school/field is built on, i know this is a similar situation with Vic high (it was looked into during talks of the school remodel/rebuild and people mentioned the district selling off the land) and that the whole block that george jay sits on is owned by the city (the school district owns the chunk of land/field at the end of queens street)

#1351 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 09:10 PM

are you sure?

Check out page 4 of this document: https://pub-victoria...ocumentId=37179

CMS v 940 Caledonia.JPG

#1352 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 09:33 PM

then that makes me question why are they looking at land they do not own over land that they do own, and taking away land that is well used by a school..  if your going to put a large complex like this on any school field take a look at lansdowne middle school their school field is HUGE in comparison and could easily offer the room

#1353 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 11:03 PM

...why are they looking at land they do not own over land that they do own...

Perhaps because at this point the CoV really has no idea what they are doing in regards to the Crystal Pool.

#1354 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,032 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 05:06 AM

The city has $10 million set aside for the pool project. While it’s hopeful it will receive senior government funding, borrowing would necessitate a referendum.

Helps noted that if Coun. Laurel Collins wins a seat in the October federal election, a byelection would have to be held, likely in February, and a referendum could be held in conjunction with that.

Soulliere said the replacement pool project needs to get underway soon, as the existing Crystal Pool is at the end of its life and the facility has numerous barriers to access.

https://www.timescol...ield-1.23811701

#1355 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 05:10 AM

then that makes me question why are they looking at land they do not own over land that they do own, and taking away land that is well used by a school.. if your going to put a large complex like this on any school field take a look at lansdowne middle school their school field is HUGE in comparison and could easily offer the room

According to this Lansdowne School is in Saanich (although just barely) so I doubt Victoria would build a pool there https://maps.crd.bc..../?viewer=public

#1356 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,032 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 05:28 AM

if the school had to choose just the pool or the field i think they should choose the field.  almost all kids can run.  a fewer number enjoy swimming.

i also think if the school got the pool and preferential treatment (discounts/access) for only central students other schools would cry foul.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 May 2019 - 05:29 AM.

#1357 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 07:04 AM

The new Crystal Pool should be built on the location it is now. Keep the old pool open while the new facility is being constructed on a back portion of the current site. It is a huge parcel of land. The old pool can still be utilized while the new pool is being built. The baseball fields would be lost for a short time. Once the new pool is built, you tear down the old one. Relocate the baseball fields and plant new trees etc. Only a temporary loss of trees, playing fields, etc. There will be plenty of room for an above ground parking lot. I am curious as to why there no gymnasium in the design plans. Victoria would continue to be the only rec centre without a large indoor sport court/gym. It makes no sense. 

• Nparker, tedward and Midnightly like this

#1358 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 07:09 AM

Isn’t the issue that the City is not able to build a new pool at Central Park? Wasn’t that why they scrapped that plan?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1359 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,032 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 07:09 AM

can’t we just use school gyms better? is there really a large need for large groups of adults to use a gym on Wednesday mornings?

#1360 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 07:12 AM

I just don't understand how the current location is a net loss of green space, when the old building will be torn down and turned into green space?
  • Nparker and pennymurphy2000 like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users