PROPOSED
Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre
Use: commercial
Address: 2275 Quadra Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 2
The City of Victoria is exploring the option of replacing the aging Crystal Pool Fitness Centre with a modern ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre on Citified.ca
Photo

Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre project

• Please log in to reply
1947 replies to this topic

#1721 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 08:35 AM

He didn't think to lock the locker?

#1722 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 08:43 AM

fine. build the pool on central park but give us a commitment of a brand new park at half the RAP lot by 2025 and the second half by 2030.   gives the city all kinds of room to deal with parking at the RAP lot.  by 2025 npna has more green space than ever.  by 2030 they are killing it.  new park!

Word on the street now is that the City has no intention of building the pool at RAP, they are just going through the motions to keep the NPNA happy. Staff are going to come back with a crazy high estimate for RAP and then recommend the City proceed with the original plan.

Will see what happens. 

• Nparker likes this

#1723 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 08:43 AM

locking a locker is kind of what you should do.

• aastra likes this

#1724 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 08:48 AM

Yeah, he was more shocked at how quickly the theft happened. He won’t be making such a mistake ever again.

I think it was his first visit to the pool in a very long time and he didn’t think about the criminal element in our community.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1725 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 08:51 AM

i don't doubt that every single day someone is working those lockers.  even just looking for the odd one left unlocked by mistake. the amount of valuables (wallets and purses) in the lockers is pretty irresistible to thieves.

2011:

Thieves should think twice about targeting change room lockers at Crystal Pool and Fitness Centre, thanks to a new Bait Locker program. Random lockers have been fitted with alarms. If a locker door is forced open, an alarm will sound, alerting staff who will notify the police.

https://www.victoria...1/110526_ma.pdf

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 January 2020 - 08:52 AM.

#1726 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 08:57 AM

a business friend got this from npna this week.  complete with a form letter and template to send to council:

On January 9, council directed staff to compile a list of all of the possible locations for the new Crystal Pool facility. On February 6, council will take this list and decide on a location for Crystal Pool. 

The goal of the North Park Neighbourhood Association is to advocate for a location that does not lead to a single day of disruption for current pool users or park users, and does not take valuable park amenities such as the playground, outdoor gym, tennis courts, basketball courts, green space, and trees away from North Park and downtown. In short, build the pool on the 940 Caledonia site, not on Central Park

In order to make an informed decision, Mayor and Council need to hear from as many people as possible. The NPNA is advocating for the new Crystal Pool facility to be built on the city owned parking lot at 940 Caledonia Ave. The Downtown Residents Association and Hillside Quadra's DBAC agree with this approach. You can read our statement here.

This is where you come in. 

If you would like to help save Central Park and agree that the new Crystal Pool should be located at 940 Caledonia, here are a few ways that you can make your voice heard:
1) Send this email to Mayor and Council (and copy it to our Council Liaisons - Marianne Alto, and Sharmarke Dubow) that outlines these points - and make sure to add your own!
2) Write your own email to Mayor and Council using this template. 
3) Send us a 2 sentence statement that we can make into a graphic for the NPNA Twitter.  Please feel free to include a photo of you or your family for us to include! Here is some inspiration: 
  • Central Park is a well loved community space - how do you and your family enjoy Central Park?
  • Building at 940 Caledonia means Central Park stays a community park, and there is no disruption to pool users. 
  • Building at 940 Caledonia creates an opportunity to re-purpose some of the old Crystal Pool for community centre space

Questions or comments? Email us at both board@npna.ca, and coordinator@npna.ca

in all of this the npna is being disingenuous.  is there absolutely no consideration for what 940 caledonia is for?  it's for the park.  a city park than can hold and has held thousands of people in regularly.  that at least tens and probably hundreds of more people use than central park per year.  

at the very least to appear unbiased they could at least compare in any way they want to skew it the uses of 940 celedonia now compared to if the pool is built there.  but instead they are just ignoring the current 940 usage as if it's just an empty lot.  current usage is never ever spoken of.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 January 2020 - 09:11 AM.

#1727 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 12:02 PM

Talking with another friend about the lockers, they require tokens now to lock in lieu of coins. I can see how an infrequent visitor to the pool just looks at that and goes 'meh, I won't bother with the token, I'm already in my swim trunks' and walks into the pool without locking up.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1728 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 12:10 PM

why do you have the possessive case trunks' with the apostrophe?

#1729 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 01:01 PM

He's closing the paraphrased quote. Typically done with a single apostrophe rather than a quotation mark.

~ Jasmine ~

#1730 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 01:08 PM

At no time in human history would it have been advisable to leave your stuff unlocked even to go use the sink for a minute. It's a rec centre locker room, for crying out loud. I used to puzzle over those open cubbyhole spaces (also known as towel/underwear/sneaker donation boxes).

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#1731 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 01:17 PM

why do you have the possessive case trunks' with the apostrophe?

oh ya.  whoops.

#1732 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 January 2020 - 01:22 PM

I've always puzzled over why there is a fee to use the lockers. If you want to encourage use of them, make them free.

#1733 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 24 January 2020 - 02:08 PM

I've always puzzled over why there is a fee to use the lockers. If you want to encourage use of them, make them free.

Agreed, you should be given a free token when you pay for admission. The purpose of having the charge (whether a token or coin) is not to make money, but to make it more difficult to lock all the lockers and run off with the keys. Is such a prank really worth a roll of quarters?

#1734 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 02:11 PM

can they do it like shopping carts bring it back (the key) and your money comes back?

#1735 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 02:19 PM

When  I used to use the pool at the Y, I just brought my own padlock.

• Nparker likes this

#1736 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 06:03 PM

“Crystal Pool is not my passion, it’s my lifeline and I can feel it slowly slipping away,” Simmons said.

She added that she wasn’t there to address the city, but rather the North Park Neighbourhood Association, who have been at the centre of considerable debates on the pool’s location after citing a feared loss of greenspace if the new pool was built at Central Park.

Simmons, along with the team of Special Olympic and team Spirit Orca members she trains, are advocating for the pool to be built at the originally-proposed location at the south-west corner of Central Park. They argue that an alternative location the city is considering at 940 Caledonia Ave., the parking lot next to the Royal Athletic Park, would not be large enough to accommodate a 50 m pool.

https://www.vicnews....-pool-facility/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 January 2020 - 06:04 PM.

#1737 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 07:06 PM

i wish they would stop referring it to "a loss of green space" when it's a temporary loss of green space.. in the end the green space will be put back... and you never know it might be put back even better then it was before!  (fight for a water park feature being added, for washrooms being installed)

#1738 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 07:22 PM

Most locker rooms I use have a key pad and you set your own code to lock your stuff up.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1739 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 07:30 PM

i wish they would stop referring it to "a loss of green space" when it's a temporary loss of green space.. in the end the green space will be put back...

Because that doesn't play into the NPNA's victim stance. 

#1740 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 07:35 PM

i wish they would stop referring it to "a loss of green space" when it's a temporary loss of green space.. in the end the green space will be put back... and you never know it might be put back even better then it was before!  (fight for a water park feature being added, for washrooms being installed)

depending on the parking situation they choose i think the new pool does mean some loss of green space.  but yes the returned green space could be real well done.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 January 2020 - 07:37 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users