PROPOSED
Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre
Use: commercial
Address: 2275 Quadra Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 2
The City of Victoria is exploring the option of replacing the aging Crystal Pool Fitness Centre with a modern ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre on Citified.ca
Photo

Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre project

• Please log in to reply
1947 replies to this topic

#1201 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 01:28 PM

Any new recreational facility needs to come with additional parking, especially if it reduces existing parking. Two parking spaces for every one that gets used up for the construction of a new building seems like a good ratio to me.

#1202 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 01:29 PM

Are we so bent out of shape about losing access to some green space temporarily that we can't build the new pool on another corner of the park, then when we level the old pool, plant some new grass in its place?  

Christ, this isn't rocket surgery or brain science.  

that's what i keep thinking.. it is temporary loss of green space which will in the end be put back to green space.. that park is sizable and the use of the land could utilized in a different, more effective way.. that park, to me atleast, seems very central in Victoria, it is surrounded by somewhat higher density (lots of apartment buildings and close to all the new condos going up downtown)

#1203 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 01:32 PM

If the building of this terribly expensive facility can result in a net gain of parking and green space then I say it's worth exploring options outside of the current Central Park location. 

#1204 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 01:40 PM

If the building of this terribly expensive facility can result in a net gain of parking and green space then I say it's worth exploring options outside of the current Central Park location. 

it could be worth exploring.. but if they plan on building it on any current parking lot that would just take away parking from the city.. i'd hate to see this big beautiful excessively expensive facility just shoved in some random place just to save a bit of green space.. i think it having green space around (like the current set up, or the esq pool/rec center) it is a good thing, especially if it's going to have all these windows looking out

#1205 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 02:31 PM

The plan is to reopen SJ Willis as a high school while Reynolds and Vic High are remediated.

The idea I have proposed would not mean demolishing the school. A new pool could be built on the playing field just north of Hillside.

If the rock slope at the north end of the playing field is removed the area of the present playing field would double in size.

The building could have the pool on the lower level with other recreation spaces above. Natural window lighting could enter from the west side into the pool area.

There could also be room for a parking garage with the complete structure about five stories high. 

In the future the recreation facility could also take over the SJ Willis School site to create one big recreation area from Hillside all the way to Finlayson north of Topaz Park.

Edited by Bingo, 15 November 2018 - 02:32 PM.

#1206 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 02:52 PM

The problem with the SJ Willis concept is that the CoV doesn't own the land; it is owned by School District No. 61.

#1207 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 02:54 PM

The idea I have proposed would not mean demolishing the school. A new pool could be built on the playing field just north of Hillside.

If the rock slope at the north end of the playing field is removed the area of the present playing field would double in size.

The building could have the pool on the lower level with other recreation spaces above. Natural window lighting could enter from the west side into the pool area.

There could also be room for a parking garage with the complete structure about five stories high. 

In the future the recreation facility could also take over the SJ Willis School site to create one big recreation area from Hillside all the way to Finlayson north of Topaz Park.

The High Schools that will be moving into SJ will utilize the entire current field space. The plan is to demolish SJ after Vic High and Reynolds get their seizmic upgrades. But hat will be some years away until all that is completed. Vic High is estimated to need two years at SJ while Reynolds could be one or two as well. It will actually be nice to see that field used properly again as high schools have very active sports.

Then there is the complication of the City owning some of the land and the school district owning the actual building that sits on the land. Usually the school district owns both. But SJ is an exception.

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 15 November 2018 - 02:55 PM.

#1208 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 02:59 PM

...Then there is the complication of the City owning some of the land and the school district owning the actual building that sits on the land. Usually the school district owns both. But SJ is an exception.

Now that I did not know. Still there are better locations for a new rec centre on land the city owns that is currently unused or under-used.

#1209 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 03:12 PM

The High Schools that will be moving into SJ will utilize the entire current field space. The plan is to demolish SJ after Vic High and Reynolds get their seizmic upgrades. But hat will be some years away until all that is completed. Vic High is estimated to need two years at SJ while Reynolds could be one or two as well. It will actually be nice to see that field used properly again as high schools have very active sports.

Then there is the complication of the City owning some of the land and the school district owning the actual building that sits on the land. Usually the school district owns both. But SJ is an exception.

"The More Victoria Changes, the More It Stays the Same..."

#1210 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 03:18 PM

i don't think it's uncommon for the city to own part or all of the land schools sit on in Victoria, i remember there was talk about Vic High's replacement and possibility of selling off some of the surrounding land to pay for it and it seems the city owns a chunk of it, the whole land George Jay school is on is owned by the city (the school district owns the small grassy field and playground area at the end of queens street) Central school had issues setting up portables due to the city owning parts of the land and approval process, not sure about the other schools within greater Victoria, but i can see it being similar

#1211 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 06:43 PM

What happened to the Y?  They are selling and moving.  If we are now looking for a totally different spot/situation, shouldn't that option be explored?

#1212 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 07:15 PM

I don't think the folks on council are particularly excited about the prospect of partnering with the Young Men's Christian Association for the upcoming pool.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1213 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 12:08 AM

What happened to the Y?  They are selling and moving.  If we are now looking for a totally different spot/situation, shouldn't that option be explored?

Nobody ever talks about the YMCA Pool. That is a down town pool open to the public. Yet I can't remember until right now the last time I ever heard about it.

#1214 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 07:14 AM

It was explored and then discounted for reasons which vary depending on who you talk to.

#1215 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 07:16 AM

From what I heard yesterday, the best case scenario is that parking and green space remain the same. The exception would be that if development of the RAP parking lot included a small pocket park as mentioned by Charlene.

#1216 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 08:32 AM

A park a block from a massive park? What is wrong with people.
  • Nparker and Midnightly like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#1217 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 08:34 AM

...What is wrong with people?

I think that question can be best answered by the CoV election results.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#1218 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 08:39 AM

Check for porcines in flight today. I am in agreement with Ben Isitt  :eek: 

...Isitt said the city “made a fundamental error” when, rather than having a site-selection process, it assumed Central Park was the best location for the new pool simply because the existing pool is there. It now might make more sense, he said, to wait for a downturn in the economy before moving ahead with the pool replacement project...

https://www.timescol...arby-1.23500023

But to redeem myself, I will add that the policies he supports will likely bring about a downturn in the CoV economy.

Edited by Nparker, 16 November 2018 - 08:39 AM.

#1219 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 09:27 AM

Check for porcines in flight today. I am in agreement with Ben Isitt  :eek: 

But to redeem myself, I will add that the policies he supports will likely bring about a downturn in the CoV economy.

Ben is half correct. The City had something like 3 open houses, a survey, consultation sessions and public hearings over a period of 18 months. As far as I know, the issue of location was never raised until recently. 

#1220 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 08:02 AM

Mayor Helps has introduced a motion for the council meeting tonight to stop work on the Crystal Pool project and have staff start developing plans for the RG parking lot. https://pub-victoria...ocumentId=25310

I guess that the imminent demise of Crystal Pool wasn't so imminent after all. 

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users