Photo

Remembrance Day in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
283 replies to this topic

#181 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 08:28 AM

I used to like Tucker 20 years ago on CNN in his bow tie days. Now his show is The White Power Hour. To save you clicking the link, Cherry says he should have said "everybody" instead of "those people" because people are sensitive to which Tucker replied, they're not sensitive, "they're fascists with no real feelings", to which Cherry nods along.

It makes me feels sick and that's not a fake feeling.

It's sick that Remembrance Day, the most solemn day on our calendar, is fodder for Carlson, Ben Shapiro the rest of the Julius Streicher fanboy club to whine about how they can't complain about immigrants like they could in the old days.

Why are you so obsessed with race?
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#182 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:12 AM

ctv talkshow host (same network as sportsnet where cherry was fired from) calls canadian hockey families "that type" - white. rich. not nice and bullying. plus unworldly to boot.

does she get fired now?  

video:  https://www.facebook...62435770360545/

Comments about Don Cherry, hockey on The Social spark outrage

https://torontosun.c...l-spark-outrage

A comment describing hockey players as “white boys” and “bullies” on The Social TV show has got thousands on social media white hot.

In fact, many are calling for Jess Allen to be removed from the CTV show. So much so, the hashtag #FireJessAllen was trending Wednesday on Twitter.

“Come on @TheSocialCTV @CTVToronto. Hold the same standard Sportsnet held Don Cherry to. This was VERY offensive,” one person tweeted.

Filing in this week for Lainey Lui, it was Don Cherry’s firing that prompted Allen’s comments while on the daily panel with co-hosts Melissa Grelo, Cynthia Loyst and Marci Ien on Tuesday

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 November 2019 - 09:19 AM.

• Wayne likes this

#183 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:29 AM

ctv talkshow host (same network as sportsnet where cherry was fired from) calls canadian hockey families "that type" - white. rich. not nice and bullying. plus unworldly to boot.

does she get fired now?  

video:  https://www.facebook...62435770360545/

Wow, talk about sterotyping.

She should be fired!

• rjag likes this

#184 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 02:56 PM

^thats a fine opinion, but that doesn't mean a man deserves to get fired for saying immigrants A) aren't wearing poppies and B) should be wearing poppies. There is something seriously rotten in Denmark if we've gotten to the point where zealous enthusiasm for our institutions and traditions is not allowed

That's not what he was fired for.

The whole point of a dogwhistle is that it's coded communication - intended to be absolutely clear to its intended recipients, but with deniability to those not in on the con. Historically, the cliche cinematic example was "Nice place ya got here, be a shame if something were to happen to it." There is literally no threat in the statement, yet taken in context it's as clear as a knife to the actor's throat. I'm sure there are more modern examples but I don't get out to the movies much any more.

The thing is, that deniability has to be at least plausible. Mr. Cherry done screwed up in this regard, and nobody on staff can pretend otherwise with a straight face.

What would you claim he meant when he inferred that he could tell by looking if someone who wasn't wearing a poppy was an immigrant or not, or if someone who was wearing a poppy was an immigrant or not? What do you think he meant?

"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#185 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:05 PM

^I never claimed he meant anything else.
I'm not playing that game. Through no fault of Don Cherry's, most immigrants are non whites. Are we supposed to pretend they aren't? Does the fact that they aren't white mean they can't be critcized for anything?

He lives in Mississauga and the people he see's who are likely immigrants aren't wearing poppies. That's it. Sure he's making an assumption, but it's a pretty safe assumption. Don't be intentionally obtuse.

You live in Victoria, he lives in Mississauga so I'll take Cherry's experience vis a vis immigrants and poppies over yours, sorry.

#186 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:19 PM

is somebody suggesting don cherry is smart enough to encode a dog whistle in his comments?  give me a break.

have you listened to or read his exact comments?  they are barely intelligible.  as often is the case with an 85-year-old talking on the fly against his production time-clock.  this is it:

Now you go to the small cities and you know, the rows on rows, you people love — that come here, whatever it is — you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey, at least you can pay a couple bucks for a poppy or something like that. These guys paid for your way of life that you enjoy in Canada, these guys paid the biggest price. 

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 November 2019 - 03:23 PM.

#187 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:22 PM

The entire thing is absurd. The 'outrage' boils down to "he said SOMETHING about immigrants!" And the rest of the country is going "and?"

#188 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:38 PM

Jess Allen made comments that I found to be eminently more intolerant and divisive than anything Cherry said.

She should be fired, but she wont because she doesnt fit the alt-right stereotype....the message being sent is that its not ok to be intolerant and opinionated if you are perceived to be of the right wing persuasion but it is ok to be intolerant and opinionated if you are a 'woke progressive'.

Please send the meteor and lets start over 

#189 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:39 PM

201k have signed the petition now.  the largest ever canadian petition (most participants canadian).  

brian-burke-1024x576.jpg

and brian burke suggested in some circles as best pick to replace him.  another old white guy!

https://www.sportsbe...-coachs-corner/

i'm not so sure.  brian burke does not test well for "likeability" i'm sure.  or sense of humour.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 November 2019 - 03:49 PM.

#190 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:42 PM

Can you imagine if old photos of Cherry in blackface were discovered?

We certainly do hold different people to different standards. We just re-elected a PM who wore blackface so many times he can't remember when and where, but he got a major pass. People are still making up excuses for why it was ok for him to wear blackface then. But had it been in, like, 2003, that would have been overboard. But 2001? As only a high school teacher? All good.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#191 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 05:52 PM

201k have signed the petition now.  the largest ever canadian petition (most participants canadian).  

Where are you getting that it's the largest ever Canadian change.org petition? As linked above, there have been many larger petitions.

#192 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 06:03 PM

I think Watcher means this one is likely to be comprised of mostly Canadians.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#193 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 06:06 PM

Where are you getting that it's the largest ever Canadian change.org petition? As linked above, there have been many larger petitions.

no larger petitions mostly comprised of canadian signatories.  there have been a few petitions started in canada that had more international signatures than canadians.  this is by far the biggest one by canadians and of canadians.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 November 2019 - 06:06 PM.

#194 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 06:07 PM

no larger petitions mostly comprised of canadian signatories.  there have been a few petitions started in canada that had more international signatures than canadians.  this is by far the biggest one by canadians and of canadians.

I am specifically asking where you are getting those statistics though.

#195 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 06:18 PM

I am specifically asking where you are getting those statistics though.

i input the data points in my slide rule and went from there.

i just researched what i could online.  stuff like this:  https://nationalpost...g-waste-of-time

i'm pretty confident in what i say.

there is this one but the numbers are bogus:  https://ipolitics.ca...smetic-testing/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 November 2019 - 06:25 PM.

#196 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 06:21 PM

i input the data points in my slide rule and went from there.

Exactly. Because change.org doesn't put out location data alongside petitions.

Really no reason to lie here VW. The Cherry petition is a popular one, but it is not even close to the largest Canadian petition on the site, by far.

#197 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 06:28 PM

which one is larger?  i stand by what i say.

#198 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 06:33 PM

which one is larger?  i stand by what i say.

I previously linked a number of Canadian change.org petitons with much higher signature numbers. You're essentially saying that you think many of the signatories to that were not Canadian, but have no way to actually confirm that. And yet you're also stating with some sort of factual assumption that the same isn't happening with the Cherry petition.

Want an actual, factually solid petition that we know was signed by Canadians? Remember the HST referendum in BC? That was able to take place because Elections BC verified the over half a million signatories to the Vander Zalm anti-HST petition.

#199 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 13 November 2019 - 06:45 PM

Can you imagine if old photos of Cherry in blackface were discovered?

We certainly do hold different people to different standards. We just re-elected a PM who wore blackface so many times he can't remember when and where, but he got a major pass. People are still making up excuses for why it was ok for him to wear blackface then. But had it been in, like, 2003, that would have been overboard. But 2001? As only a high school teacher? All good.

So Don Cherry should run for office.

#200 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 06:49 PM

canadian steven crowder (now a resident of texas) runs down the cherry firing including the top 5 politically incorrect clips that cherry got in trouble for.

video:  

PATRIOT HERO: Don Cherry's Top 5 Epic Moments! | Louder with Crowder  https://youtu.be/FE9VR7n7cuU

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users