Remembrance Day in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
283 replies to this topic

#141 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 12 November 2019 - 09:56 AM

I'd pay $20 for something that didn't use those pins. Going to come up with something using little magnets.

#142 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,335 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 November 2019 - 09:57 AM

Most comments I see regarding folks who don't wear them say its because they aren't biodegradable... seems like a lame excuse, but lets see if that excuse can't be removed - make paper ones an option - the legion needs to sell them though.

#143 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 10:00 AM

Most boutonnieres these days use magnets instead of pins. Something like that would be great for a poppy. I basically put away my GORE-Tex jacket for the first two weeks of November because I don't want to poke a hole through it.

I'd gladly donate more for a magnetic poppy.

#144 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,831 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 10:10 AM

pliers. bend the thing.

although the other fun thing to do is turn the poppy slightly inside out and use it to look like fake lips. like Rolling Stones. super fun.
  • todd likes this

#145 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 November 2019 - 10:26 AM

although the other fun thing to do is turn the poppy slightly inside out and use it to look like fake lips. like Rolling Stones. super fun.

Nope, not disrespectful at all...

:whyme:

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#146 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 11:29 AM

We have friends send us poppies from Australia. It is made of fabric and it has a butterfly clutch at the back of the poppy. It never falls off and the poppies have lasted us for over 5 years. Fear not, we still stuff a 20 into the local poppy boxes every year to support our veterans. 

#147 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 12:53 PM

Our solution this year was to purchase a quality metal brooch through the Legion ($40) - silver plated pewter with an enamel finish. Much nicer for long term use, and attractive enough I can wear it year round. I've lost hundreds of poppies over the years, terribly embarrassing for a military wife to lose her poppy...

• Wayne and todd like this

~ Jasmine ~

#148 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,831 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 06:16 PM

matt walsh weighs in on the cherry firing:

video:  https://youtu.be/8qn4dKmcD98

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 November 2019 - 06:16 PM.

#149 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,831 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 06:23 PM

ben shapiro weighs in on the cherry firing:

video:  https://youtu.be/4q6gGeAlVhw

#150 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,831 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 06:44 PM

fox news weighs in on the cherry firing:   

Fired NHL broadcasting legend Don Cherry doubled down Monday on remarks he made alleging that Canadian immigrants had failed to honor the nation’s fallen military heroes, but denied that his comments were racially motivated.

Sportsnet fired Cherry, 85, on Monday, days after he sparked widespread condemnation for referring to immigrants as “you people” and criticizing them for not wearing poppies to honor military veterans ahead of the Remembrance Day holiday. Cherry hosted the “Coach’s Corner” segment on Sportsnet’s “Hockey Night in Canada,” one of the highest-rated segments on Canadian television.

https://www.foxbusin...cherry-response

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 November 2019 - 06:44 PM.

#151 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,831 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 06:46 PM

breitbart weighs in on the cherry firing:  

Five Reasons The Canadian Left Hates Hockey Icon Don Cherry

https://www.breitbar...con-don-cherry/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 November 2019 - 06:46 PM.

#152 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,831 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 06:47 PM

the daily stormer weighs in on the cherry firing:

video:  https://www.youtube....h?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

j/k

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 November 2019 - 06:48 PM.

#153 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 06:58 PM

ben shapiro weighs in on the cherry firing:

video:  https://youtu.be/4q6gGeAlVhw

That one was actually nauseating. He's saying Cherry's comments were merely politics and if it's OK to inject sports into politics you should be OK with politics in sports. So baseless criticizing of immigrants is merely politics and you shouldn't lose your job over it.

That's just not right. 

• rjag likes this

#154 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 07:06 PM

^its only baseless if you hate Canadian culture and Canadian history and think the poppy is meaningless

#155 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 07:09 PM

Look, I always got a kick out of Cherry's "ya, all dem Commie pinkos" shtick. But baselessly criticizing immigrants and refusing to apologize is a step too far. He has freedom of speech but not freedom from consequences. 

• sebberry likes this

#156 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 07:09 PM

Apparently someone spray painted a Toronto war monument with "ye broke faith with us" I can't help but see that and think well yes, we have. When common sense/common deceny around our history and our war dead gets someone fired. That act of vandalism is a more sincere and poignant act of respect and remembrance than anything you'd hear on CBC

#157 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 07:11 PM

Look, I always got a kick out of Cherry's "ya, all dem Commie pinkos" shtick. But baselessly criticizing immigrants and refusing to apologize is a step too far. He has freedom of speech but not freedom from consequences.

So you're problem is that you think it was baseless? Have you spent much time in malls and other places in heavy immigrant communities? Do you think the poppy is as respected and cherished in Brampton as it is in, say, Oak Bay?
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#158 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 07:13 PM

offended.jpeg

• Lorenzo likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#159 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 07:19 PM

^its only baseless if you hate Canadian culture and Canadian history and think the poppy is meaningless

It's baseless because he berated new Canadians because he claims they don't wear poppies as much as established Canadians. I've said this several times.

For one thing, do new Canadians wear more or less poppies? 

If they wear fewer, do we know why?

Maybe they just don't know. People are wearing all sorts of things on their lapels for special causes, from poppies, ribbons for various health issues, the plastic daffodil for cancer and the latest one, the yellow moosehide square. Do all immigrants know which ones are special interest and which is practically mandatory? People should wear poppies because they feel deeply about the sacrifices of our military. They shouldn't wear them because they were harassed into doing it. The solution is education, not bullying.

#160 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 07:23 PM

^thats a fine opinion, but that doesn't mean a man deserves to get fired for saying immigrants A) aren't wearing poppies and B) should be wearing poppies. There is something seriously rotten in Denmark if we've gotten to the point where zealous enthusiasm for our institutions and traditions is not allowed

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users