Photo

Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre (SOFMC)

• Please log in to reply
307 replies to this topic

#181 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:17 PM

There definitely has to be some more opportunities for bars, lounges in or around SOFA. Not to mention some nice big residential towers with extra underground parking for the arena. 

Well any game I have been to has about 70%+ of the attendees being blue hairs. After the game they go straight home and nap!

• jonny likes this

#182 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:20 PM

Well any game I have been to has about 70%+ of the attendees being blue hairs. After the game they go straight home and nap!

Yes, it's kind of weird that the Royals don't seem to try to target the 18-30 year old crowd at all.

#183 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 05:44 PM

RG today announced they have another 10-year deal with Save On.  Name stays the same thru 2024.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#184 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 11:11 AM

In reference to the discussion whether the arena should have been 10,000 seats in Rock Bay along the waterfront:

Which is why the second half of what I wrote is to move the Comets here.  WHL hockey is one level, and you're not going to get a full 10k or 12k in an arena for WHL hockey.

AHL is about two steps higher, and the Comets are the Canucks farm team. I would seriously consider season tickets for the Comets. Would never do that for the Royals.

I'd suspect a 10000 seat arena here, with the Comets as the main tenant, would average around 7000 per game - currently they average about 3700 in Utica, and the team is winning like crazy.

If the best case scenario is 7,000 a game then the present arrangement is perfect.

Farm team agreements are usually less than ten years--over a dozen teams so far have been Canucks farm teams over the years so that partnership can give a temporary boost but it's not sustainable. Gordie Howe could come out of retirement and score 50 goals a season and you couldn't fill a stadium that size in Victoria. People always say if this team or that team or that league or this league came to town people will come but they never do, never have, never will. 

#185 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 09 March 2015 - 11:37 AM

In reference to the discussion whether the arena should have been 10,000 seats in Rock Bay along the waterfront:

If the best case scenario is 7,000 a game then the present arrangement is perfect.

Farm team agreements are usually less than ten years--over a dozen teams so far have been Canucks farm teams over the years so that partnership can give a temporary boost but it's not sustainable. Gordie Howe could come out of retirement and score 50 goals a season and you couldn't fill a stadium that size in Victoria. People always say if this team or that team or that league or this league came to town people will come but they never do, never have, never will. 

Farm team arrangements are like that when they don't have the same owners. The Aquilinis now own the farm team. The Comets will be the Canucks farm team permanently. The only question is where they will be located - I doubt it is still in Utica in 10 years. The AHL is slowly expanding west - Abbotsford failed but will move from Glen Falls to Stockton, San Diego is starting up next year. Oilers team will be in Bakersfield. Other cities I can think of that would be ideal are Portland and Victoria. (edit - actually, Portland has a team, just the wrong Portland)

Both Winnipeg and Vancouver likely want to follow suit and move their teams west.

The Royals are average 4700 per game. Remember than an average of 7000 per game out of 10000 would have some games at capacity and some at 5k. Playoffs would certainly be at capacity.

I agree, just moving any AHL team here won't work. Only the Comets would do the trick.

Edited by lanforod, 09 March 2015 - 11:39 AM.

#186 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,604 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 12:47 PM

Farm team arrangements are like that when they don't have the same owners. The Aquilinis now own the farm team. The Comets will be the Canucks farm team permanently. The only question is where they will be located - I doubt it is still in Utica in 10 years. The AHL is slowly expanding west - Abbotsford failed but will move from Glen Falls to Stockton, San Diego is starting up next year. Oilers team will be in Bakersfield. Other cities I can think of that would be ideal are Portland and Victoria. (edit - actually, Portland has a team, just the wrong Portland)

Both Winnipeg and Vancouver likely want to follow suit and move their teams west.

The Royals are average 4700 per game. Remember than an average of 7000 per game out of 10000 would have some games at capacity and some at 5k. Playoffs would certainly be at capacity.

I agree, just moving any AHL team here won't work. Only the Comets would do the trick.

+1...this.

#187 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 12:52 PM

You guys are missing that important chunk where the AHL is an east coast league...yes, there are a few teams moving to California, but that's still a long ways away from Vancouver Island.

#188 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 01:11 PM

You guys are missing that important chunk where the AHL is an east coast league...yes, there are a few teams moving to California, but that's still a long ways away from Vancouver Island.

Right. Victoria couldn't make a go of an ECHL team so I don't see how the extra travel costs and higher ticket prices associated with the AHL would help.

• jonny likes this

#189 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 01:19 PM

Map of where AHL teams are located.

500px-American_Hockey_League_2014-15_map

Note that five teams are moving to California starting next year. The nearest team will be in San Jose. That's still pretty bloody far from BC. Could it work? Maybe. I for one would absolutely love that to happen. I think it's more likely that the Comets will move to California than BC when their lease expires. 

#190 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 09 March 2015 - 02:27 PM

I'd rather the Comets move here. Move the Portland, Maine team to Portland, Oregon (that team is actually considering converting to ECHL anyways). Spread out on the west coast essentially, with a goal of having 10 east coast, 10 center of continent (there is already 7 west of the great lakes), and 10 west coast (5 in California + Victoria, Portland, Salt Lake City, Tucson, Vegas).

#191 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 02:44 PM

Right. Victoria couldn't make a go of an ECHL team so I don't see how the extra travel costs and higher ticket prices associated with the AHL would help.

But the NHL team pays the salaries.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#192 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 April 2015 - 07:44 PM

Another example of our fragmented region hard at work...

Saanich pledged $1.8M - paid $452,666

Esquimalt pledged $170,000 - paid... nothing?

Oak Bay’s days of paying for Victoria’s Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre are done, but it remains the only municipality in the region to meet its commitment to the arena in full.

Every year since 2004, Oak Bay has been cutting a cheque to Victoria for $17,798 — calculated at about $1 a resident based on the 2001 census — to help offset Victoria’s arena debt-servicing costs.

[...]

See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.u8cIxWw1.dpuf

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#193 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 08:47 PM

That's pretty sad.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#194 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 08:49 PM

Not the only facility that is carried by some subset of the region. Rec centres, either downtown theatre, etc.

• Mr Cook Street likes this

#195 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 08:49 PM

That's Victoria.

#196 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:49 PM

Screens are broken so these signs have gone up in the interim.

arena-sign-1.jpg

arena-sign-2.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#197 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 02:57 PM

So now you actually see what events are upcoming instead of seeing irrelevant video ads? Is the sign really broken or has it been improved?

• Nparker, http, lanforod and 1 other like this

#198 Jayson Brown

Jayson Brown
  • 18 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 October 2015 - 04:59 PM

This contraption has always been an embarrassment.

One of my biggest issues is the fact they never property inform you about game days, they simply tape a sign on the structure below!

I suggest a new digital billboard erected above the stadium entrance and a led light kit around the entire arena, lit-up on game days and concert nights.

#199 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:30 PM

@Rob, the screens started flickering and such a few months back.

Know it all.

#200 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:33 PM

and a led light kit around the entire arena, lit-up on game days and concert nights.

Love this idea

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users