Photo

Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre (SOFMC)

• Please log in to reply
307 replies to this topic

#261 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 08:48 AM

He gets a lot of free media in every city he visits, except in the USA. Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, lots of “controversial speaker coming” stories. In the USA media not so bothered.

I think that is part of his marketing too.  He is ok with being called controversial...

#262 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 08:56 AM

Absolutely. And he is, as part of his brand. Of course the only sincere way to refer to him is controversial because he is, unapologetically.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#263 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 08:57 AM

Can’t wait to see what Black Press writes about him. Where can they find a semi-balanced press release to use as their own material? Or maybe they won’t balance it at all, and just pick a side based on someone else’s work.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#264 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 08:58 AM

Madonna is controversial. Should she be banned from SoFMC?

#265 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 09:06 AM

Madonna is controversial. Should she be banned from SoFMC?

Has anyone been banned?  Wasn't there some racist fellow or something years ago that maybe did..  Can't recall now.

#266 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 09:25 AM

Bill Clinton played the arena.

The Clintons have allegedly killed lots of people.
  • Ismo07 likes this

#267 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 09:33 AM

Bill Clinton played the arena.

The Clintons have allegedly killed lots of people.

I don't think it counts as allegedly if it's just noise on the internet.

#268 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 09:35 AM

I’ve watched hundreds of hours of Peterson. I simply don’t understand the concern.

#269 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 09:36 AM

I’ve watched hundreds of hours of Peterson. I simply don’t understand the concern.

I haven't heard any except for predictions on here...  Crazy if there are protests, like crazy as most other protests...

#270 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 09:41 AM

You're not woke enough to understand.

• Daveyboy likes this

#271 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 01:08 PM

Can’t wait to see what Black Press writes about him. Where can they find a semi-balanced press release to use as their own material? Or maybe they won’t balance it at all, and just pick a side based on someone else’s work.

They are waiting for someone else to write it.

#272 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 03:52 PM

1,100 plus comments already on Reddit.

https://www.reddit.c...d_the_band_not/

• Ismo07 likes this

#273 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 04:05 PM

I love that people are losing their **** over Peterson's appearance.  :banana:

• Matt R. likes this

#274 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 04:08 PM

The post was throttled on VV’s Facebook. I guess the algorithm doesn’t like him.

Know it all.

#275 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 04:28 PM

I love that people are losing their **** over Peterson's appearance.  :banana:

I'm reading through them, not as much as i thought...  This is my fave, and I can see this behaviour..

he thing is, he was always like that, he's just gotten steadily worse at hiding it.

I lived in Toronto back before he was famous. He was a failing psych teacher with a failing therapy practice, getting by on the fact that as a tenured professor it didn't matter that no one wanted to go to his classes.

Then he threw a miniature fit because a student asked to be respected, and he believed that as a university professor he didn't have an obligation to respect his students; they had an obligation to prove they were worthy of respect. That was it. He basically said that word for word in multiple interviews. But the "freeze peach" crowd latched on to him as an icon, and he was just bright enough to realize this was the gravy train he'd spent his life working towards.

At first, he was trying to conceal his beliefs under a veneer of rationality and psychology. Now he tries to conceal them under a veneer of freedom and culture war. But at its root, it has always just been a seething anger that he might have to restrain himself around people he considers inferior.

#276 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 04:33 PM

^ I take it you won't be buying a ticket?!

#277 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 04:37 PM

^ I take it you won't be buying a ticket?!

I doubt it, although I don't really pay attention to him much.  The above anecdote, I can just see him act in that fashion.  I'd love to have a beer with him though, see how real he is.  I do like humour better when the comedian knows he is joking :).  Plus it will sell out much faster than I would get a ticket.  However I do know someone with box seats, maybe I could get one.

#278 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 09:58 PM

How much do those boxes go for anyways?

#279 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 15 February 2023 - 06:09 AM

How much do those boxes go for anyways?

I want to say each seat in there is like $1,800 but don’t quote me… most boxes are corporate but there are a couple that are run by individuals who sell seats..
  • Matt R. likes this

#280 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 23 February 2023 - 09:09 PM

More free advertising!

Controversial psychologist Jordan B. Peterson is coming to Victoria this spring as part of his North American tour, but not everyone is happy about it.

An online petition is calling for Victoria’s mayor and council to cancel Peterson’s May 19 appearance at the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre, arguing that Peterson’s views violate city policies and “jeopardize the safety and well-being of marginalized communities” due to past controversial comments on topics such as trans people, feminism, and Russia’s war on Ukraine. It also argues that as a city-owned venue, SOFMC should not be allowed to host Peterson.

“Peterson and his followers will often argue that protesting or calling for the cancellation of his events is a censorship  or infringement on the freedom of expression,” wrote the petitioner, named as Eddi Wilson.

https://www.cheknews...terson-1142002/

According to a spokesperson for Save On Foods Memorial Arena, thousands of tickets have already been sold.

While some worry about the impact Peterson’s views could have on marginalized communities, others say whether or not they agree with Peterson’s views they support his right to speak.

Victoria Coun. Stephen Hammond said there is little the city can do to stop the appearance.

“I’m not familiar with any particular policy that he might be violating. But we don’t run the facility. We just own the facility. And I think the city would be hard-pressed to start making decisions about who we liked, who we didn’t,” Hammond said.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 February 2023 - 09:10 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users