Electric and autonomous cars in Victoria and on Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
11576 replies to this topic

#3421 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 25 December 2018 - 11:19 AM

And best part is, a three minute stop at a gas station supplies you with more juice. Most cars will burn 1-3 litres per hour of idle time.
  • rjag likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3422 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 26 December 2018 - 09:47 AM

Hah, good luck finding one.

EDIT: Wait a minute... don't gas stations require electricity to operate?

Dont need more than a small generator to work the pumps....its not a big deal compared to the weak link in the EV charging world as evidenced this last week....wires on poles

This is like the weak link in cloud based backup and recovery, at some point in the chain it requires a wire on a pole. Better make sure you still backup locally.

#3423 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 26 December 2018 - 10:58 AM

^ Buried cable?

#3424 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 01:28 PM

Dont need more than a small generator to work the pumps....its not a big deal compared to the weak link in the EV charging world as evidenced this last week....wires on poles

This is like the weak link in cloud based backup and recovery, at some point in the chain it requires a wire on a pole. Better make sure you still backup locally.

No weak link. EVs are much more resilient in case of disaster. As long as you have some way to make electricity you can charge them. Could be a gas generator, could be solar panels, could be hydro, wind, steam, whatever.
Gas vehicles require a functioning international oil extraction and refining and shipping industry.

#3425 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 December 2018 - 01:42 PM

I tried the superchargers at Uptown and pretty convinced I could make the Tesla work living in a condo with no plug. If I had a 110 plug next to parking spot would be 100% no problems.

• rjag likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#3426 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 December 2018 - 01:44 PM

Tesla sent me an email two days ago and offered to take my lease back at no cost even thought I am 50,000 plus km over the mileage limit. Catch is I would have to buy a new inventory one before Dec 31st, 2018 and they didn't quite have what I wanted in terms of configuration.

Also, will be hard to given up the opening pano roof and there is something psychological about having free supercharging for life.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#3427 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 26 December 2018 - 01:55 PM

Gas vehicles require a functioning international oil extraction and refining and shipping industry.

Thats Macro level, how about micro level

might as well say that EV's need cobalt mines and international freight shipping, industrial conversion and mass manufacturing of batteries and then last mile ICE transpo .... seriously, an EV in a power outage is  not going to be much different than an average car/truck, over a day or 2 not a big deal but its day 3-5 that the pressure is on and a single generator can operate a gas station and feed dozens of cars per hour to achieve 500km capacity while that same single generator may be able to feed how many ev's to achieve the same 500km in that hour? 

#3428 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 02:05 PM

Last I checked generators run on fuel from the gas station ;)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3429 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 07:12 PM

Last I checked generators run on fuel from the gas station ;)

Mine runs on natural gas.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3430 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 09:23 PM

Thats Macro level, how about micro level

might as well say that EV's need cobalt mines and international freight shipping, industrial conversion and mass manufacturing of batteries and then last mile ICE transpo .... seriously, an EV in a power outage is  not going to be much different than an average car/truck, over a day or 2 not a big deal but its day 3-5 that the pressure is on and a single generator can operate a gas station and feed dozens of cars per hour to achieve 500km capacity while that same single generator may be able to feed how many ev's to achieve the same 500km in that hour? 

The manufacture is of course not relevant to the discussion of running the vehicles. 

As for fueling, the point is that in disasters, the fuel distribution system often breaks down and gas stations quickly run out of gas.  By day 3-5 of your example there is no more fuel at the gas station to pump.  If the gas runs out you can't make more of it.   However there are lots of ways to make electricity.   

Edited by LeoVictoria, 26 December 2018 - 09:25 PM.

#3431 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 01:15 PM

^Can you tell me once in the last 30 years when a gas station was ever out of gasoline around here

#3432 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 01:23 PM

^Can you tell me once in the last 30 years when a gas station was ever out of gasoline around here

Uh, 72 hours ago?

• Mr Cook Street likes this

#3433 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 01:38 PM

ok true with the power outage, I was meaning gasoline in the tank.  If they wanted they could fire up a generator they could still be open

#3434 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 06:06 PM

Luckily the gasoline distribution network is the most advanced in the world.

I saw a few stations with $0.00 gas over the last week. No biggie. All you had to do was drive the ...400 meters to the next one.

Know it all.

#3435 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 08:21 PM

ok true with the power outage, I was meaning gasoline in the tank. If they wanted they could fire up a generator they could still be open

With any real disaster there are gas shortages very quickly. Of course a little wind storm does not qualify as a disaster

#3436 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 08:24 PM

Trip to tofino in the model 3. Could make it there in one charge but we were driving pretty aggressively so stopped for a couple min at the Nanaimo supercharger. Charging rates up to 770km/hr.

Driving rain, fog and dark on the way home but the autopilot still drove really well on the highway from Nanaimo.

#3437 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 08:32 AM

ok true with the power outage, I was meaning gasoline in the tank.  If they wanted they could fire up a generator they could still be open

No, they had no fuel in the tanks! The storm affected the distribution network. The Shell at Tyee had to sell premium at regular prices as that's all they had left.

#3438 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 07:41 PM

Gassing up the Tesla.....

https://youtu.be/vHPg2Mi2roI

• tjv likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3439 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 08:08 PM

If Bear Point runs out of electricity then many Victoria stations will run out of gas....

https://www.timescol...kend-1.9714718 

If my memory serves me right, that port is also responsible for virtually all of the aviation fuel for the island as well.

Re solar - during this time of the year, you'll only get on average as many watts as a panel is rated for over a 24 hour period.  You might be able to drive a short distance if you have 10k invested in solar, but don't expect a 100w panel from Canadian Tire to do much. 

Anyways, if something causes power to be out for an extended period (weeks), I don't think driving anything is going to be happening. 

#3440 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 10:03 AM

With any real disaster there are gas shortages very quickly. Of course a little wind storm does not qualify as a disaster

I don't recall any time living on the coast where we have had gas shortages, any examples you can think of?

I am sure if we had a real disaster, say an earthquake there would be electricity and gasoline shortages on a mass scale.  My solution is keep a few jerry cans in the garage, what is your solution for the electric car?  A giant UPS (uninterruptible power supply)?

No, they had no fuel in the tanks! The storm affected the distribution network. The Shell at Tyee had to sell premium at regular prices as that's all they had left.

Oh interesting, I wasn't aware of that.  Luckily as Mike says just drive 400 meters to the next station and fill up.  

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users