Photo

Electric and autonomous cars in Victoria and on Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
11576 replies to this topic

#3481 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 03:56 PM

Jesus Christ, you guys. Nagel is a danger to us all on a bike and now he’s being prepped to tow with a sedan that isn’t even rated to tow?

Here’s how you tow items in a vehicle without a tow rating:

You don’t.

You haul on over to the Uhaul, rent a pick-up, fill it full of the garbage you want to “tow,” and $30+1 hour later you’re back in your sedan and not endangering others on the road trying to turn a little car into a truck.

Haven’t IKEA commercials taught us anything?

You should see photos of the stuff I drove across the country in a Honda Prelude.

#3482 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:01 PM

The Model 3 is not well rated by Consumer Reports, overall IIRC 57 out of 100. Much worse than average for repairs.

Sorry, it was the model X that was rated 56.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3483 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 January 2019 - 03:27 PM

Just witnessed a model x on the back of a tow truck headed for Vancouver

I guess only minor repairs in victoria? I wonder who pays for the tow because that's not going to be cheap...$2000+?

Tesla pays for it assuming it is under warranty. I know a few people holding out on Teslas secondary to lack of service on island and accident repair costs. It is what it is. I have high mileage on mine without issues. Also, a lot of Tesla owners have second cars but once they roll out the base Model 3 the lack of service becomes a bigger issue as I assume few base Model 3 owners will have second cars.

That being said up to 4 Teslas (model s, model x, and two model 3s) on my beer league basketball team :) One guy keeps telling me I should have sold him on the Tesla harder he loves his performance model 3 so much (switched from a newer BMW M5).

Edited by MarkoJ, 13 January 2019 - 03:28 PM.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#3484 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:00 PM

^those are going to be expensive cars to repair as soon as they out of warranty.  Do you even have access to the small mobile repair service when its out of warranty?

as for acceleration, like all electric cars they are fast, it isn't just Tesla

#3485 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:25 PM

^those are going to be expensive cars to repair as soon as they out of warranty. Do you even have access to the small mobile repair service when its out of warranty?

as for acceleration, like all electric cars they are fast, it isn't just Tesla

All luxury cars are expensive to repair, nothing new there. Watch Hoovies Garage on YouTube sometime. He eventually sold his old Tesla because it just worked, too boring not enough fodder for videos.

As for EVs having better performance than gas cars that is true and one of the reasons they will take over from gas vehicles.

#3486 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 11:08 AM

Tesla pays for it assuming it is under warranty. I know a few people holding out on Teslas secondary to lack of service on island and accident repair costs. It is what it is. I have high mileage on mine without issues. Also, a lot of Tesla owners have second cars but once they roll out the base Model 3 the lack of service becomes a bigger issue as I assume few base Model 3 owners will have second cars.

That being said up to 4 Teslas (model s, model x, and two model 3s) on my beer league basketball team :) One guy keeps telling me I should have sold him on the Tesla harder he loves his performance model 3 so much (switched from a newer BMW M5).

If it is a warranty issue then Tesla pays, if it is damage then the owner (ICBC) pays. Having warranty claims handled in Vancouver is one thing as you can often plan for those, having to ship your car over for damage is another as that often isn't planned. 

#3487 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:02 PM

If it is a warranty issue then Tesla pays, if it is damage then the owner (ICBC) pays. Having warranty claims handled in Vancouver is one thing as you can often plan for those, having to ship your car over for damage is another as that often isn't planned.

Ferny’s Auto Body on Pembroke is Tesla certified.

There is no service centre here though so larger repairs that the mobile service can’t handle would have to go to Vancouver.

#3488 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:53 PM

Tesla has already succeeded no matter what happens.   They kicked the rest of the industry in the ass.  Watch this segment on CNBC

https://youtu.be/JDmI80i7nDY

tsla.PNG

#3489 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 08:41 PM

^so you should be putting everything into TSLA, your RRSP, TFSA, investment account, etc if you feel so confident!

haha, one profitable quarter and they have "succeeded" and "kicked the rest of the industry in the ass" that's hilarious.  They are drowning in debt and have just started to make a tiny profit

and lets do the flip side of what Wall Street thinks (December 2018)

https://www.gurufocu...sound-the-alarm

#3490 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 09:09 PM

^so you should be putting everything into TSLA, your RRSP, TFSA, investment account, etc if you feel so confident!

haha, one profitable quarter and they have "succeeded" and "kicked the rest of the industry in the ass" that's hilarious. They are drowning in debt and have just started to make a tiny profit

I don’t care about Tesla per se, I’m only interested in the EV transition and they happen to be the leading player.

I said that the industry is pushing hard on EVs after Tesla showed the demand is there. Hard to argue with that. Every major automaker is putting tens of billions into their EV programs now. That is success for Tesla given their stated mission is to “accelerate the advent of sustainable transport by bringing compelling mass market electric cars to market”.
  • tjv likes this

#3491 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 09:50 PM

haha, one profitable quarter and they have "succeeded" and "kicked the rest of the industry in the ass" that's hilarious. They are drowning in debt and have just started to make a tiny profit

My recent position I took is up 20% thus far. Better than the market in general. Hell Leo’s one share must be up about the same!

#3492 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:25 AM

^yes, up 20% this month, down 20% the next, the stock is like a yo yo.  They missed Q4 delivery estimates and the stock drops 10.2%.  Way too risky for my blood, but to each his own

#3493 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:11 PM

EVs cleaner than internal combustion even on very dirty coal-powered grids.

640x-1.jpg

https://www.bloomber...impression=true

#3494 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 08:33 AM

Of course nobody talks about the actual emissions required to build an electric car versus an ICE car, which is nearly 2x the rate of the former. To make-up for that initial 'footprint' takes quite a bit of fossil fuel burning by the driver.

If Canada's own forecast data is any measure of veracity, one only needs to point to the horrendous execution of our 500,000 EV vehicle goal by the end of 2018 (the one that we barely managed to clip 1/5th of). You might as well say cars will run on happy thoughts by 2040 given the atrocious forecasting of late.

Here's the thing. The entirety of the developed world save for several nations with hydro power and the entirety of the developing world relies heavily on fossil fuels for electric power generation. The likelihood of that reliance diminishing substantially in our lifetimes is low when viewing the future through a pragmatic and realistic lense. Even uber-green Germany with its forests of wind farms depends on fossil fuels to power over 50% of its grid, with renewables accounting for about a quarter and where they're likely to remain as their unreliability and costs are starting to reveal themselves.

Furthermore, what does ICE Average consist of? Massive mine vehicles? Big-rigs? Smart cars?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3495 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 01:11 PM

Plenty of people have looked at total lifecycle emissions including production. I’ve linked to several of them. Even in fossil fuel dominated grids they are still cleaner, and existing cars get cleaner over time instead of dirtier like ICE cars.

#3496 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 02:30 PM

Right now the only analysis we’re seeing is based on forecasts. The same sort of gimmick that sold us on peak oil by 2020, a green energy revolution by the same time and a paperless office.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3497 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 02:31 PM

Exactly, if you want to be good for the envrionment, buy a 20 year old Geo Metro and run it into the ground.  Buying a brand new Tesla or Leaf and thinking you are being an environmentalist is hilarious 

#3498 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 03:08 PM

An average Canadian uses 2,000 litres of gasoline per year which the government of Canada says releases 4,600kg of carbon dioxide.

An SUV requires 35,000-45,000 kg of carbon dioxide to be built, and the carbon footprint of EV’s is much higher than that of ICE cars. Toyota estimates that just under 1/3 of an ICE vehicle’s lifetime of emissions occurs prior to purchase by the consumer, which leads one to believe for EV’s the development emissions are staggeringly higher relative to lifetime emissions (being that they require far more energy to build).

The more I read the fanboy “articles” and “analyses” on EV’s the more I suspect we’re being kept from the truth on a far greater scale than we might imagine.

Know it all.

#3499 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 03:19 PM

Tesla doesn't market its cars to environmentalists. It's one of the things I appreciated about the approach. It's just a better vehicle platform....

A skeptical environmentalist like myself has always chuckled at the new green movement. In the 90's it was reduce reuse recycle. Now it's through out everything and buy new green stuff.... 

• RFS likes this

#3500 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 07:09 PM

Right now the only analysis we’re seeing is based on forecasts. The same sort of gimmick that sold us on peak oil by 2020, a green energy revolution by the same time and a paperless office.

I've already posted this.   That is for the average grid mix in the US which is far far dirtier than BC's grid.

"the extra emissions associated with electric vehicle production are rapidly negated by reduced emissions from driving. Comparing an average midsize midrange BEV with an average midsize gasoline-powered car, it takes just 4,900 miles of driving to “pay back”—i.e., offset—the extra global warming emissions from producing the BEV. Similarly, it takes 19,000 miles with the full-size long-range BEV compared with a similar gasoline car"

https://www.ucsusa.o...ns#.XEFB-E6YWV4

Edited by LeoVictoria, 17 January 2019 - 07:10 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users