Photo

Electric and autonomous cars in Victoria and on Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
11394 replies to this topic

#21 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 02:27 PM

I'd also wager that the vast majority of drivers like/have fun driving. Giving up the pleasure of driving to a computer will absolutely suck and most won't want a vehicle that absolves them of the driving experience.

There are those who will want to be a vehicle that is autonomous but they will be few and far between, at least for the foreseeable future.

How many people enjoy commuting? The vast majority will certainly prefer to sleep or work or watch TV on the way to work rather than be tied to a wheel in a traffic jam.

As for the joy of driving, I enjoy driving but the driving I have to do is not fun. And look at the younger generations. Many are even now not bothering to get a driving license until well into their 20s and we don't even have autonomous cars yet. I'll bet my kids never get a license at all.

#22 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 02:29 PM

That's already done. Big trucks in mines are already autonomous. Next step is the uncontrolled road for long distance trucking, then the general public.

I kinda think that open roads are the last place where we should take humans out of the loop - lots of possibilities for many variables in road conditions between say, Calgary and Saskatoon...
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#23 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,172 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 December 2015 - 02:34 PM

commonplace in 5 years is a pipe dream I think. There should and likely will be more than there is now, and perhaps we'll even see some here by then, but commonplace? Maybe by 2030.

#24 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 29 December 2015 - 05:16 PM

How many people enjoy commuting? The vast majority will certainly prefer to sleep or work or watch TV on the way to work rather than be tied to a wheel in a traffic jam.

As for the joy of driving, I enjoy driving but the driving I have to do is not fun. And look at the younger generations. Many are even now not bothering to get a driving license until well into their 20s and we don't even have autonomous cars yet. I'll bet my kids never get a license at all.

My kids are 21 & 19 and both couldn't wait to get their license. This applies to most of their friends as well...only 1 or 2 weren't in such a rush, but once they discovered they were being left behind they went ahead. I asked both my kids if they have any friends that don't have a license and they couldn't think of 1 person.

They are very much into tech, but also figured out there aren't too many ways of getting home at 3A.M. either!!!

I guess its something inherited from their parents. We are a very mobile family and live/work/play throughout the region/island/mainland. One is currently in Sydney Aus. for a year and would be absolutely stuck if she didn't share a car with her boyfriend.

I can see a time in the future where in large metro areas that vehicle use will be minimized, I cant see it in outlying communities such as Port Hardy or Sooke or Mill Bay, I just cant see those folks giving up their cars. Like I said earlier, I think there will be a place for them, but replacement of the personal human driven vehicle....not for many years

#25 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:41 PM

I can see a time in the future where in large metro areas that vehicle use will be minimized, I can't see it in outlying communities such as Port Hardy or Sooke or Mill Bay, I just can't see those folks giving up their cars.

Like I said earlier, I think there will be a place for them, but replacement of the personal human driven vehicle....not for many years

I can't ever see it being compulsory to own one, but if you want to give the public a taste why doesn't some entrepreneur start up a driverless taxi fleet and see how much business is out there.

• rjag likes this

#26 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:04 PM

I can't ever see it being compulsory to own one, but if you want to give the public a taste why doesn't some entrepreneur start up a driverless taxi fleet and see how much business is out there.

About as much as there is for pilotless aircraft.
  • sebberry likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#27 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:20 PM

About as much as there is for pilotless aircraft.

...and driverless Land Rovers on the Serengeti.

#28 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,082 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 12:06 AM

I can't ever see it being compulsory to own one, but if you want to give the public a taste why doesn't some entrepreneur start up a driverless taxi fleet and see how much business is out there.

What do you think Google, Apple, Uber, etc are up to? They aren't going after the old model. Disruption can happen fast. Look at the smart phone...

Edited by dasmo, 30 December 2015 - 12:10 AM.

#29 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,082 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 10:08 AM

This is a big accomplishment!
http://fortune.com/2...d=yahoo_fortune

#30 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,770 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 January 2016 - 11:38 AM

I got to drive a Tesla a few days ago in Vancouver.....the AutoPilot is impressive.

166702_10153212089751496_7833836502469931603_n.jpg

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#31 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 01:31 PM

I drove the P 85 + a couple of years ago. I liked the internal space ( huge) and the  centralized infotainment screen.

However the fixtures and fittings felt as though they belonged to a cheap American car.

After research I also discovered that after charging there is leakage from the battery ( upto 10% of charge) making the forecasted mileage per charge not attainable.

0 -60 performance was good but you won't do it many times per drive as it sucks on your battery.

Priced at over $100,000 it was a no no. Far better petrol alternatives.

#32 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 03:33 PM

I got to drive a Tesla a few days ago in Vancouver.....the AutoPilot is impressive.

Psst... You have your hands on the wheel.  That's not AutoPilot, that's MarkoPilot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yCAZWdqX_Y

Edited by LeoVictoria, 03 January 2016 - 03:37 PM.

#33 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,770 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 January 2016 - 07:11 PM

I drove the P 85 + a couple of years ago. I liked the internal space ( huge) and the  centralized infotainment screen.

However the fixtures and fittings felt as though they belonged to a cheap American car.

After research I also discovered that after charging there is leakage from the battery ( upto 10% of charge) making the forecasted mileage per charge not attainable.

0 -60 performance was good but you won't do it many times per drive as it sucks on your battery.

Priced at over $100,000 it was a no no. Far better petrol alternatives.

I thought the interior was pretty good; I think Tesla improved the interiors substantially in the last two years.  The 2nd gen seats are so much better than the 1st gen.  The one I drove also had the premium center console, etc.   

Compared to my loaded BMW 435i I would say interiors are comparable in quality but way different.  My BMW has quite a bit of tech with a unique combination of old school 6 spd stick shift and manual handbrake which are nice touches in my opinion.  Tesla is 100% new school with the massive screen, useful for pulling up my website :)

I am on the boarder of ordering one.  Holding me back is the $5,000 BC EV rebate would probably evaporate by the time of delivery and the price tag.  I drive about 40,000 km a year so there is a substantial gas savings but the 100k+ mentally upfront is a little tough to absorb.  Also because my mileage is business and gas a write-off the savings aren't as much for someone who drives mostly for non-business reasons.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#34 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 January 2016 - 11:18 PM

I don't think I could leave a 435i 6 speed for a Model S.  I mean the S is a nice car, but the BMW is a driver's car.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#35 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,082 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 11:23 PM

I'm sure Marko is just having a blast driving everywhere for work. Woo hoodoo!!! He would have way more fun getting his clients excited showing them his new schools vehicle and bringing up the specs of the of house he is showing up on the monitor as he drives his clients there. Putting his car in auto pilot so he can better converse on the phone and manage his business as he drives. Also impressing his clients and softening them up. Then at the end of the day he can put his Tesla in ludicrous mode and blow away any sports car on the market.

#36 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 11:52 PM

Note to self, write app for Tesla that displays nearby listings from realtor.ca and neighbourhood info

#37 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,082 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 12:37 AM

Note to self, write app for Tesla that displays nearby listings from realtor.ca and neighbourhood info

Yep. The connected car is here. It will need apps. The car is the office for realtors. It's an office for many. Having to drive your car is like having to do your laundry down by the river. It's not the best use of your time...  I know I know, People enjoy being out in nature and getting exercise...

#38 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:22 AM

I think I'm starting to recognize when dasmo posts while high :)
  • sebberry, Matt R. and lanforod like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#39 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,082 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:07 AM

I think I'm starting to recognize when dasmo posts while high :)

Always...

#40 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,082 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:12 AM

So if everyone loves driving so much then why is texting while driving such a growing trend... You can see by these stats you old guys are out of touch.VuWo7jd.jpg

Edited by dasmo, 04 January 2016 - 08:23 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users