#41 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:13 AM

Jesus, that just gave me a headache.

• dasmo likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#42 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,082 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:24 AM

I made it easier on you... Sounds like you need some pain medication.

#43 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:06 AM

I think it's supposed to be one of those eye test charts.  Or an LP speed disc:

33-78sml.jpg

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#44 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:09 AM

So if everyone loves driving so much then why is texting while driving such a growing trend... You can see by these stats you old guys are out of touch.

Because texting often becomes an addiction for people, and like other addictions such as drugs, alcohol and gambling can easily interfere with the things that you love. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#45 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:13 AM

People loved riding horses and driving wagons.  Didn't stop progress, and aficionados of those old arts can still find venues to practice them.  

There is a lot of good autonomous cars can provide, but my fear is that they will be used to extend commute times, and hence enable another round of sprawl.  

#46 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,082 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:17 AM

You guys need to smoke way more pot....

illusive-circle.jpg

• Mike K. likes this

#47 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:45 PM

GM invests $500M into Lyft and autonomous car research. http://mobile.nytime...l?_r=0&referer=

This will be one of the biggest changes in the near future.

#48 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,082 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 02:53 PM

"It can happen today. The technology is more or less ready," said Amnon Shashua, chief technical officer of Mobileye, an Israeli company that makes computers to process information from car-mounted cameras that are increasingly sophisticated.

Legal and government policy issues remain, and computer controls haven't quite been perfected. Still, Shashua and others say it's reasonable to expect cars to take over more driving tasks from humans on the way to full automation in about five years.

http://abcnews.go.co...t-show-36099355

#49 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 03:35 PM

Yup, I can side with this:

"...it's reasonable to expect cars to take over more driving tasks from humans."

But not this:

"...full automation in five years."

• rjag likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#50 Dr. Barillas

Dr. Barillas
  • 174 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 03:53 PM

Looks like Mercedes is jumping right in to the EV market.

Mercedes-Benz will launch the first of four electric cars in 2018, as it begins an all-out assault on Tesla. CAR magazine revealed the ‘Ecoluxe’ project a year ago, a €2-billion investment that will sire two zero emission saloons and two crossover SUVs.

Sources have revealed the latest developments: the first car will come to market a year earlier than originally planned, as Mercedes seeks to keep pace with Porsche and Audi’s electric production cars arriving 2018, the Mission E and Q6 e-Tron.

First out is a saloon positioned sizewise between C- and E-class, closely followed by a similarly sized crossover aimed at the gap between GLC and GLE.

"Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died"

#51 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:07 PM

Yup, I can side with this:

"...it's reasonable to expect cars to take over more driving tasks from humans."

But not this:

"...full automation in five years."

Google right now has 23 autonomous cars driving around on public roads that have covered 2,000,000 autonomous km and have had zero at-fault accidents.  "in the process they had encountered 200,000 stop signs, 600,000 traffic lights, and 180 million other vehicles".  4 US states have regulations that permit autonomous car testing on their public roads already.

That's right now.  Not in 5 years.   In 5 years the corner cases will be solved and it will be able to handle any situation as well or far better than a human driver.

Edited by LeoVictoria, 05 January 2016 - 04:07 PM.

#52 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:13 PM

Google right now has 23 autonomous cars driving around on public roads that have covered 2,000,000 autonomous km and have had zero at-fault accidents.  "in the process they had encountered 200,000 stop signs, 600,000 traffic lights, and 180 million other vehicles".  4 US states have regulations that permit autonomous car testing on their public roads already.

That's right now.  Not in 5 years.   In 5 years the corner cases will be solved and it will be able to handle any situation as well or far better than a human driver.

Yeah, but...

- Those cars are really expensive:

- outfitted with a bunch of sensors, most of which will interfere with each other if thousands of cars have them

- have a lot of computing power going into them

- The routes have to be meticulously pre-mapped before the car can successfully navigate them

I agree, it'll happen, but consumer grade in the next 5 years seems optimistic.  10 years maybe, with a phasing in period, maybe...

• sebberry likes this

#53 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:57 PM

Yeah, but...

- outfitted with a bunch of sensors, most of which will interfere with each other if thousands of cars have them

- The routes have to be meticulously pre-mapped before the car can successfully navigate them

I agree, it'll happen, but consumer grade in the next 5 years seems optimistic.  10 years maybe, with a phasing in period, maybe...

Yes all good points.  But taxi drivers are even more expensive, there are several techniques for having those sensors not interfere with each other (or use plain vision), computing power isn't an issue, and pre-mapping will become easier with more cars out there (and there's no reason that an autonomous car will always need a premapped route).   I bet in 5 years there will be a couple consumer car models to buy that will be > 99% autonomous.  

#54 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 07:17 PM

Aircraft have been able to take off, fly to destination, and land autonomously for decades. All in a highly controlled environment where you are being watched over and followed. They still have pilots on board, and those pilots still hand fly the aircraft for take-offs and landings, and when some of that equipment malfunctions for whatever reason.

Autonomous cars are possible, but will not be in widespread use, or any use for many years to come. There will certainly be more nanny state intrusions into every new vehicle made, which will, in time, make the drivers over reliant on the features leading to much worse drivers down the road.

• Dr. Barillas likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#55 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 07:26 PM

Yeah, but...

Yeah, but we are in an earthquake zone waiting for the big one and I don't want to have those silly vehicles in my way as I am trying to get out of town while the internet is down and all the sensors are kaput, and I just ate the last can of beans and now everyone is in crisis mode except me in my 1959 Ford Edsel... oh okay perhaps I should upgrade to the 1960 model.

#56 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:50 PM

Aircraft have been able to take off, fly to destination, and land autonomously for decades. All in a highly controlled environment where you are being watched over and followed. They still have pilots on board, and those pilots still hand fly the aircraft for take-offs and landings, and when some of that equipment malfunctions for whatever reason.

You know what the number one cause of plane crashes is?   Pilot error.   The cause of over 50% of crashes.   

For driving?   90% of accidents are caused by human error.

The biggest barrier to autonomous cars is not the technology, it's Luddites who understand neither technology nor probability and think they are good drivers.

#57 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:08 PM

The biggest barrier to autonomous cars is not the technology, it's Luddites who understand neither technology nor probability and think they are good drivers.

It's all a plot by the cycling community to get us out of our cars and onto an autonomous bicycle. :mad:

#58 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:32 PM

Ontario approves testing driverless cars on their roads as of 4 days ago:  http://www.cbc.ca/ne...s-car-1.3389897

#59 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:50 PM

It's all a plot by the cycling community to get us out of our cars and onto an autonomous bicycle. :mad:

I can't wait for the autonomous bicycle.  Finally a bike that will be visible at night, won't run stop signs and will act predictably. 

• Bingo likes this

#60 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,082 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 12:06 AM

Autonomous will be ready and available in five year no doubt. It's just that a person will need to be at the wheel for a while longer. The benefits to the customer are huge. It's the first personal robot IMO. IF you own one then think about this. You can now text, call, work, read or whatever while driving. You can go out for dinner and drinks and have the car drive you home. You can navigate automatically the best way avoiding traffic congestion real time without risking an accident by constantly checking your phone. You can feel safe lending your car to the kids. You can feel safe driving with the kids because of the much improved accident avoidance. The car can pull up and be warmed up ready to go at your front door. The car can help you perform tasks while driving. "Dave, usually you get a coffee on the way to work. Did your want me to order it for you and redirect our route to pick it up? It will only add two minutes to our journey." "Dave, your wife just input a pickup list for your return journey. I have pre ordered the items and scheduled the pickup rout for our drive home. Do you accept?". 

If it finally comes that you don't need to be in the car then the benefits get bigger. You can have it pick up the kids from school. You can simply have it perform errands for you. Public transit becomes revolutionized. Shipping is now the job of robots. Busses are obsolete and replaced by connected pods that are much more flexible and can micro bill plus pickup from anywhere. They can adjust to market demand more quickly and the administrative costs are greatly reduced. etc etc. 

https://embed.thegua...-transportation

Edited by dasmo, 06 January 2016 - 12:07 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users