South Island marinas and the marine economy

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:12 PM

The Oak Bay Marine Group is selling its three Vancouver Island resorts — Painter’s Lodge at Campbell River, April Point Resort and Spa on nearby Quadra Island, and Canadian Princess Lodge in Ucluelet.

The properties are being marketed through Colliers International. No asking prices have been made public. The resorts will remain open for business.

“The hope is that a buyer will come forward who shares the goal of providing exceptional vacation experiences — one who will operate the resorts with the same mix of tradition, vision and passion that our current staff exemplify,” Brook Castelsky, chief operating officer, said in a statement Friday.

Bob Wright, who died in 2013, owned the resorts as part of his Beach Drive-based Oak Bay Marine Group.

A strong advocate of sport fishing, Wright played a key role in attracting international attention to the Campbell River area, dubbed the salmon capital of the world, and in promoting B.C. tourism. The resorts were Wright’s dream and passion.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.Nr3viGaf.dpuf

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,154 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:20 PM

Bob was a tough son of a gun, but I miss him. I had the pleasure of being on his floating fish camp in Haida Gwaii on his last fishing trip. Good Times.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:22 PM

Bob was a tough son of a gun, but I miss him. I had the pleasure of being on his floating fish camp in Haida Gwaii on his last fishing trip. Good Times.

Ya, timing might be right to sell this stuff.  Heck, where the dollar is, timing might be right to sell just about anything.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:37 PM

Before the breakwater went in at the OB Marina, some of the docks were two logs lashed together with some wooden planks nailed across.

I slipped off the end of those in the rain one day, and got wet right up to my waist.

#5 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 03:11 PM

My young family and I spent a lot of time in Campbell River when I worked for the OBMG, glad I got the opportunities.  I'm a bit sad to see them go but am not in the least bit surprised.

Matt.

#6 Victoria Contractor

Victoria Contractor
  • Banned
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 08:53 PM

Bob was a tough son of a gun

You are being very polite when you say that.  I remember his favorite saying "business is business, friendship is $%^&^%$"

#7 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 10:15 PM

You are being very polite when you say that.  I remember his favorite saying "business is business, friendship is $%^&^%$"

Bob gave 11 million dollars to the University of Victoria and then had the Centre for Ocean, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences  named in his honour, making this the largest living gift ever to the University of Victoria.

• Matt R. likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.