Photo

Modo Carshare

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#101 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 05 July 2021 - 08:22 AM

Remind me again why car rental companies have to pay for their parking areas and these companies get free parking areas from the city? 

Seems reasonable. Carshares reduce the required number of parking spaces by virtue of being shared and replacing multiple cars.

#102 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 05 July 2021 - 08:37 AM

Greg: And how is this different than a car rental company?

#103 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,280 posts

Posted 05 July 2021 - 08:39 AM

Greg: And how is this different than a car rental company?

more convenient (multiple car locations, no "check-in" required) and shorter rental periods (hours and minutes, not days).

#104 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 05 July 2021 - 08:41 AM

I understand how the models differ but why should one business be given an advantage by the city over the other.

#105 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,280 posts

Posted 05 July 2021 - 08:45 AM

sorry, i had missed that bit.

well, presumably other similar models can be given similar consideration.

i actually think u-haul has a 24/7 completely online registration model at least in some cities.  maybe they can ask for free parking spaces for that.

i think it would be good for condo/apartment/subdivision developers to be given some type of carrot for adding car share spaces.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 July 2021 - 08:46 AM.

#106 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 05 July 2021 - 09:14 AM

I think for the most part Modo and other car shares are targeting a completely different customer base than rental car companies. People fly into the area and rent a car, or rent a car to drive to somewhere distant. Rental cars aren't typically a replacement for personal car ownership. Modo cars are short term (often just a couple of hours) rentals for people who don't own a car (or a household that owns fewer cars than would be typical). They directly contribute to reduced personal car ownership.

Also they're a co-op rather than a for-profit business, so that probably makes a difference to certain members of city council as well!

• gstc84 and Victoria Watcher like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users