Photo

2018 City of Victoria election

• Please log in to reply
5915 replies to this topic

#241 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 06:03 PM

I'm OK with that until he says he's going to build a wall around North Park and make me pay for it!  :mad:

That's not a bad idea...there goes the neighbourhood.

#242 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,890 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 06:19 PM

That's not a bad idea...there goes the neighbourhood.

I'd actually be in favour of it. If the wall ran north of the 900 block of North Park (along Caledonia I suppose) - then cut south again at Vancouver as far as Mason then east to Chambers. Only a slight alteration of the existing North Park boundaries.

map.JPG

I want the new St. Andrew's development to stay on my side of the wall and away from the Masonites & NPNA NIMBYs who don't want it anyway. Win-win!

#243 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 06:30 PM

I would vote for Rob Randall to Make Victoria Great Again.

I live in Saanich, eh? I'd love to hear what you guys think about half of Victoria council living here.

#244 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 06:37 PM

I live in Saanich, eh? I'd love to hear what you guys think about half of Victoria council living here.

It's the best of both worlds.

Make big decisions on how to spend the citizens of Victoria's tax contribution, and then live in Saanich to avoid those taxes while using Victoria's facilities.

So why would outsiders want to amalgamate with Victoria?

• jonny and nerka like this

#245 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:46 PM

For me it is definitely a knock against a candidate. Not fatal though. I would vote for a superior candidate from out of municipality.  To my knowledge I only voted for one out of municipality candidate last time around.

#246 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,358 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 19 September 2016 - 08:51 PM

Run in Saanich! I'll vote for ya.

• Rob Randall likes this

#247 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 06:20 AM

I think it's a joke to be a decision maker in a muni, province, or country one doesn't even pretend to live in.
  • Nparker, johnk and Awaiting Juno like this

#248 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:25 AM

I think it's a joke to be a decision maker in a muni, province, or country one doesn't even pretend to live in.

What about if you own a business or work in the municipality? For many people that is where the impact of municipal policy has a greater effect.

#249 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:39 AM

What about if you own a business or work in the municipality? For many people that is where the impact of municipal policy has a greater effect.

If one was going to restrict candidacy a fairly logical approach would be to say that in order to qualify as a candidate you have to be an elector in that municipality. Then candidates would have to either live in the municipality or own property there.

• VicHockeyFan and Awaiting Juno like this

#250 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,890 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:42 AM

...Then candidates would have to either live in the municipality or own property there.

Or both, but not neither.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#251 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 09:39 AM

If one was going to restrict candidacy a fairly logical approach would be to say that in order to qualify as a candidate you have to be an elector in that municipality. Then candidates would have to either live in the municipality or own property there.

That's logical.

#252 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 10:38 AM

People who can push policies and make decisions that impact Victoria then slink away to where they don't have to live with the consequences. For me, this is one thing that must be changed.
  • Nparker and tedward like this

#253 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 10:40 AM

Better get bar codes tattooed on people if you want to possibly stop it.

#254 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,890 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 10:44 AM

Why? When you run for office in a particular municipality you must show proof of your local residential or business address to qualify. If this status changes while you are in office, you must resign and if necessary, a by-election is held to fill the vacancy with a geographically qualified candidate.

No bar codes needed.

• tedward likes this

#255 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 10:51 AM

Why? When you run for office in a particular municipality you must show proof of your local residential or business address to qualify. If this status changes while you are in office, you must resign and if necessary, a by-election is held to fill the vacancy with a geographically qualified candidate.

No bar codes needed.

This is incompatible with your pro-amalgamation stance. 

You need to elect the person with the best qualifications for the job. Just because they live on the east side of Foul Bay Road shouldn't mean automatic disqualification. It's a factor to consider, just like a lot of things. 

Edited by Rob Randall, 20 September 2016 - 10:52 AM.

#256 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 10:55 AM

No bar codes needed.

I interpreted the comment to mean anyone who can influence, e.g., people writing into council, showing up at open houses, hearings etc.  I agree you could generally enforce it for people running for office.

#257 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,890 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 10:55 AM

This is incompatible with your pro-amalgamation stance...

Actually no. If anything it encourages amalgamation since then there would be a larger pool of eligible and theoretically qualified candidates.

#258 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 11:00 AM

Actually no. If anything it encourages amalgamation since then there would be a larger pool of eligible and theoretically qualified candidates.

Can we do trades instead?  I'll take your SJW but bike loving mayor over my tin hat crazy mayor.

#259 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,890 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 11:04 AM

...I'll take your SJW but bike loving mayor over my tin hat crazy mayor.

I'll do you one better. You can have Lisa Helps, and I'll throw in Ben Isitt for free! :banana:  As a bonus you don't even have to send us Atwell!!

#260 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 11:25 AM

Change the legislation.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users