2018 City of Victoria election

• Please log in to reply
5915 replies to this topic

#421 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 07 December 2016 - 02:48 PM

We also license dogs...I'm sorry but requiring licenses for those biking on city streets does not strike me as either overly cumbersome or unreasonable.  It's a source of revenue for some of the infrastructure that is wanted (including places to lock bikes up and bike lanes) and an opportunity to do some basic cyclist education.  In the event a bike is stolen, it may make it easier to reunite it with its owner. 

• Nparker, Midnightly, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#422 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 02:50 PM

We also license dogs...I'm sorry but requiring licenses for those biking on city streets does not strike me as either overly cumbersome or unreasonable.  It's a source of revenue for some of the infrastructure that is wanted (including places to lock bikes up and bike lanes) and an opportunity to do some basic cyclist education.  In the event a bike is stolen, it may make it easier to reunite it with its owner. 

Why stop there then?  Why not for pedestrians too, that revenue could be partly used to pay for sidewalks, sidewalk painting, and foot bridges.

• Rob Randall, thundergun and nagel like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#423 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,353 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:02 PM

Or you just require everyone to carry ID. Passed your driver test, get an ID with a DL number. Have a salmon tag, your ID scanned into a DFO scanner will identify that you can catch 2 salmon per day and have a valid fishing license. Ditto for pleasure craft license etc. Do this for all federal and / or province wide ID or licenses.

Then there is no need for a bike license (or a pedestrian license). If pulled over on a bike, you are required to show your ID. Don't have it? get a fine, or bike impounded etc.

#424 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:07 PM

Also we should have to show our papers to travel between sectors.  This way when the government suspends the constitution and declares marshal law, we'll be ready to conform.

• thundergun likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#425 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:08 PM

What skateboarding, in-line skating, nordic pole walking...

#426 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,353 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:14 PM

Also we should have to show our papers to travel between sectors.  This way when the government suspends the constitution and declares marshal law, we'll be ready to conform.

First we have to appoint marshals. Unless you meant martial...  :teacher:

#427 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 07 December 2016 - 04:05 PM

Regardless - much bigger problems to tackle:

* disregard for bylaws generally

* amalgamation of the core

* parking downtown - availability/accessibility

* housing affordability

* economic development and growth

* fiscal responsibility

* proliferation of pot shops

• Nparker, jonny, Daveyboy and 3 others like this

#428 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 08 December 2016 - 04:02 PM

Hey - when is the next meet-up going to be?  Couldn't make the one yesterday as childcare wasn't going to line up.

#429 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 04:03 PM

There seemed to be a lot of kidlets running around the Strath last night. You could have brought 'em with you.

#430 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 04:24 PM

Regardless - much bigger problems to tackle:

* disregard for bylaws generally

* amalgamation of the core

* parking downtown - availability/accessibility

* housing affordability

* economic development and growth

* fiscal responsibility

* proliferation of pot shops

I expect more folks will be growing pot in their gardens next year, so tick that one off the list.

Justin Trudeau isn’t legalizing marijuana to please the people who smoke it.

“People are right now breaking the law,” the prime minister told the Toronto Star’s editorial board on Friday. He called the recent flood of new storefront dispensaries in cities like Toronto, “frustrating.”

The government is legalizing pot to prevent kids from accessing it, and to prevent criminal organizations from profiting off it, he said. “So, I don’t know how much clearer we can be that we’re not legalizing marijuana to please recreational users.”

Trudeau’s comments come as his government is set to introduce legislation regulating the sale of marijuana this spring.

http://www.huffingto...n_13414430.html

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#431 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 04:36 PM

There seemed to be a lot of kidlets running around the Strath last night. You could have brought 'em with you.

That was odd, for sure.  I've never before seen kids in the place (except in the "family dining" corner).

#432 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 07 January 2017 - 08:11 AM

Sad to see the downtown buskers, chalk festival and kite festival all cancelled for the coming year.  But hey we've got puzzle piece sidewalks and city paid artists, so we've supported "the arts".  

• Nparker, rjag, jonny and 3 others like this

#433 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 08:13 AM

Sad to see the downtown buskers, chalk festival and kite festival all cancelled for the coming year.  But hey we've got puzzle piece sidewalks and city paid artists, so we've supported "the arts".  

...and we have the noon-hour music in the Square that probably works out to taxpayers paying about $15 for every attendee.

• jonny likes this

#434 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:18 AM

...and we have the noon-hour music in the Square that probably works out to taxpayers paying about $15 for every attendee.

They're actually packed most days and since my wife performs some of the years I know it's chump change being paid anyways.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#435 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:20 AM

Saanich does them too (evening concerts though) and anecdotally they are far more attended in my muni, but of course those are in real parks not concrete jungles.

Edited by nagel, 07 January 2017 - 10:20 AM.

#436 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:29 AM

They're actually packed most days and since my wife performs some of the years I know it's chump change being paid anyways.

Well that makes me feel a bit better.  The ones I walked through this last summer were not busy.  

#437 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:34 AM

Probably two months of concerts costs less than a rainbow sidewalk.
  • VicHockeyFan and AndrewReeve like this

#438 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,851 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:04 AM

Probably two months of concerts costs less than a rainbow sidewalk.

I think the CoV has only sponsored a rainbow crosswalk, not a sidewalk. This might be as close as Victoria gets to having a rainbow sidewalk and I am pretty sure it is privately maintained.

rainbow.JPG

• http and Awaiting Juno like this

#439 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 08:59 PM

In 30-odd years of watching local governments, I have never seen a council blow money and chase ridiculous ideas the way Victoria does.  

Helps wasted no time establishing her style when she surprised herself by being elected in 2014. She spent $50,000 on a management consultant, explaining that this was the maximum she could spend without council approval.  

Residents of Greater Victoria and its dozen boutique suburbs are used to screwed-up projects. From dysfunctional police who can’t communicate to a stalled sewage system that will cause tax bills to skyrocket if it is ever built, incompetence is expected here. 

Two Victoria councillors specialize in silly stunts that divert public attention from their performance. Coun. Ben Isitt and his sidekick Coun. Jeremy Loveday. Ben and Jerry, as they have become known, are radical left-wing activists, often seen organizing protests demanding this or that from the province and Ottawa.  Loveday wants Victoria to declare itself a “sanctuary city.” That’s where local police are instructed not to ask people about their citizenship status, in order to circumvent federal immigration law.   In this age of terrorism, let that sink in for a bit. It makes Loveday’s initiative to allow skateboarders to mingle with downtown traffic seem almost sensible.

Ben and Jerry’s campaigns were largely financed by the Canadian Union of Public Employees. In June, they led Victoria council to exit the regional labour relations group that bargains with CUPE and other unions.

http://www.theprogre.../394976001.html

• Nparker, sdwright.vic, AndrewReeve and 1 other like this

#440 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,851 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:05 PM

I swear I didn't write this, but I agree with pretty much every word.

• rjag and A Girl is No one like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users