Photo

2018 City of Victoria election

• Please log in to reply
5915 replies to this topic

#941 Lou_76

Lou_76
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:19 PM

I was talking to a Helps supporter the other day and they think she's a sure thing for re-election.

"The Mayor who got the City unstuck"...

-Bridge will be done

-Sewage treatment finally being built 

-Bike Lanes  (Love them or hate them!)

-City has first climate change plan

- launched South Island Prosperity Project (see a few pages back for discussion!)

- First time for regional housing co-operation - CRD Housing 1st Program

- Cut development times and got the City building again

- Employment up / retail vacancies down

But will the people buy it? or will they just think of the stupid puzzle pieces? Depends if there are credible candidates against her and whether or not she changes the discussion ASAP.

I still haven't heard of any other candidates....I wonder if the NDP machine will send someone up. Will Fortin make a comeback now that the Bridge is built?

#942 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 07:27 PM

I agree with the comment on it being ridiculous that Police provide health care support.

Re Vic residents paying the bulk of Policing....costs like policing are expenses that support downtown commercial activities. If you go down that path, it's perfectly reasonable for the other municipalities to ask for a piece of the substantial commercial tax revenue that CoV residents currently enjoy. Why would someone from North Saanich pay for CoV expenses but not qualify for the resulting revenue?

So in the state's many cities charge a payroll tax to those that work within each city boundary. Each is dependent on what each city decides to set as a payroll tax.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#943 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:30 PM

So in the state's many cities charge a payroll tax to those that work within each city boundary. Each is dependent on what each city decides to set as a payroll tax.

So let's do that.  We already mandate through legislation that government jobs must be in the city centre.  We also don't have anywhere for these people to live, so when they pay property taxes in their own communities, we can still extract taxes from them as well.  We also get to keep all of the commercial taxation revenue.

We would no longer need to have a budget for the bike lanes!

#944 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 05:57 AM

Provincial government jobs are not just limited to the City of Victoria. BCBC is in Saanich, as is the surplus depot and other facilities. There’s a flex workspace for government workers in Saanich as well.

Any municipality can pursue rapid commercialization if they so choose. It’s not just Victoria’s golden gift, but they don’t seem to want that apart from Langford.

Currently the largest employers in this region are in Esquimalt and Saanich, apart from the total tally of provincial ministries and departments, of course.
  • On the Level likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#945 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:24 AM

I was talking to a Helps supporter the other day and they think she's a sure thing for re-election.

"The Mayor who got the City unstuck"...

-Bridge will be done

-Sewage treatment finally being built 

-Bike Lanes  (Love them or hate them!)

-City has first climate change plan

- launched South Island Prosperity Project (see a few pages back for discussion!)

- First time for regional housing co-operation - CRD Housing 1st Program

- Cut development times and got the City building again

- Employment up / retail vacancies down

But will the people buy it? or will they just think of the stupid puzzle pieces? Depends if there are credible candidates against her and whether or not she changes the discussion ASAP.

I still haven't heard of any other candidates....I wonder if the NDP machine will send someone up. Will Fortin make a comeback now that the Bridge is built?

So if the global economy dips between now and the next election will she take the blame for a drop in employment?!

You can't get re-elected if you don't run. 

• Lou_76 likes this

#946 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 01:01 PM

Provincial government jobs are not just limited to the City of Victoria. BCBC is in Saanich, as is the surplus depot and other facilities. There’s a flex workspace for government workers in Saanich as well.

Any municipality can pursue rapid commercialization if they so choose. It’s not just Victoria’s golden gift, but they don’t seem to want that apart from Langford.

Currently the largest employers in this region are in Esquimalt and Saanich, apart from the total tally of provincial ministries and departments, of course.

Those are good examples, but why is Stew Young complaining that he can't get any Provincial approval for facilities on the Westshore?

#947 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 04:06 PM

I suspect it would be too difficult to open up a single ministry on the West Shore, but a shared space like the one in Saanich would be a great start.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#948 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:08 AM

Those are good examples, but why is Stew Young complaining that he can't get any Provincial approval for facilities on the Westshore?

He is talking to the wrong people. I am sure that if he cut a deal with the Jawl's then he would get his Government offices.

#949 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 10:09 AM

I suspect it would be too difficult to open up a single ministry on the West Shore, but a shared space like the one in Saanich would be a great start.

BC Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure to the West Shore might be a logical move.

#950 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 11:08 AM

BC Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure to the West Shore might be a logical move.

District office is in Nanaimo (that's who directly runs the roads here). The only MoTI offices in Victoria are the policy & planning branches, plus some of the capital project people.

EDIT: To clarify, there is a small Saanich office I had forgotten about. But they are already outside the urban core

Edited by Coreyburger, 15 December 2017 - 11:51 AM.

#951 Lou_76

Lou_76
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 11:50 AM

JSB art vote...as part of bigger discussion:

Young, Loveday, Thornton-Joe, Isitt -  Opposed

Helps, Lucas, Coleman, Alto, Madoff -  in Favour

#952 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 12:05 PM

I'd love to know the individual reasons why Councillors did/ did not support the art project.

ps: do Ben and Jeremy ever have opposing votes?

#953 J_Loveday

J_Loveday
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 02:23 PM

I voted against because I think we should take a leaner and more phased approach to the the JSB Public Realm.  I think the art and some of the other parts of the JSB public realm buildout should be assessed once the bridge is open and operable. When looking at all of the issues and expenditures we are facing, I'm not sure this would bubble up to the top as a priority. That being said, I'm excited for the new park in Vic West and to have high quality public spaces at a key entrance to downtown. 

Ben and I agree on many issues but we are on the opposite side of votes quite often including a number of times yesterday.  For example, I voted to send the Truth Centre development to public hearing and Ben opposed it.  

I'd love to know the individual reasons why Councillors did/ did not support the art project.

ps: do Ben and Jeremy ever have opposing votes?

• Mike K., Rob Randall, Nparker and 3 others like this

#954 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 02:26 PM

I think it might have been wise to wait just to see how plaza traffic flows.

• Nparker, J_Loveday and Lou_76 like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#955 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 02:36 PM

I voted against because I think we should take a leaner and more phased approach to the the JSB Public Realm...

I appreciate your candour and courage for posting here on VV, Jeremy. While I doubt I will ever see eye-to-eye with you on many issues facing the CoV, I have to applaud your willingness to speak up in this forum.

• tedward, Greg, Cassidy and 1 other like this

#956 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 02:37 PM

Interesting, just had a Stephen Andrews sponsored post pop up in my FB feed. Anybody else get that?

#957 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 02:40 PM

Whoa, did you screen capture it, by chance?

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#958 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 02:53 PM

I think it might have been wise to wait just to see how plaza traffic flows.

I think Mowry Baden once mentioned that once he saw the giant LED sign installed at the new arena he realized he would have designed his nearby sculpture differently.

• Nparker likes this

#959 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 03:00 PM

I think Mowry Baden once mentioned that once he saw the giant LED sign installed at the new arena he realized he would have designed his nearby sculpture differently.

Something that could absorb the kilolux intensity of that sign would have been nice.

#960 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 03:02 PM

You mean, like this? This is one of Baden's works, btw.

Mowry_0012-900x1355.jpg

• Nparker and rmpeers like this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users